Exaust Question

johnsen

just wanted to know if anybody knows about this. somebody at work told me that if i take off the huge single muffler and replace it with two mufflers, and don't install a crossover pipe, it'll send a code to the computer and the warning light will come on. his reason was that because both exaust pipes feed into a single muffler that acts as a crossover pipe, and all the sensors that read exaust will be wrong, if there is any. i personally think it's a bunch of bs and if anyone out there agrees with this guy please let me know, because i'm dying to make this thing rumble. :wtf::chevy:

Sounds like you need to do some "exhuastive" research on this :jester: But seriously, I have seen replacement dual exhausts for the 5.3 Silverados, so I don't see why not.

have had them come in at work that way, hasn't been a problem yet. i do recomend using a simple cat back though as some dealers have a problem under warrenty with cut and hack exhaust. corsa being gm licensed is also a recomendation.

Not a problem at all! :thumbs: I have put on 500 miles with 2 Flowmaster 40 series mufflers flowing into the stock single tail pipe. I was going to do true dual exhaust however I think the stock look is best. I wanted the rumble of the 40 series however, Flowmaster doesn't make a 2x2 40 series with the same diameter as the stock inlet pipes and tail pipes (they do have a 50 series). You could make it work with the largest 40 series 2x2 they have however it will look sloppy with the small reducer pipes. I pancaked 2 FM 1x1 mufflers and welded them together using a small custom bracket and installed the package vertically (can't see them from the side of the truck). You will have to go and have 2 small sections of pipe bent and flanged to make up for the space the stock CANNON took up though. Any muffler shop should be able to help you out. Cost me $80 for the custom flanged pipes...I overpaid because I was impatient. :jester:

All in all, it sounds great but don't expect any huge performance gains. I actually lost 4lbs with this set-up...the stock :chevy: mufler is huge!

Not a problem at all! :thumbs: I have put on 500 miles with 2 Flowmaster 40 series mufflers flowing into the stock single tail pipe. I was going to do true dual exhaust however I think the stock look is best. I wanted the rumble of the 40 series however, Flowmaster doesn't make a 2x2 40 series with the same diameter as the stock inlet pipes and tail pipes (they do have a 50 series). You could make it work with the largest 40 series they have however it will look sloppy with the small reducer pipes. I pancaked 2 FM 1x1 mufflers and welded them together using a small custom bracket and installed the package vertically (can't see them from the side of the truck). You will have to go and have 2 small sections of pipe bent and flanged to make up for the space the stock CANNON took up though. Any muffler shop should be able to help you out. Cost me $80 for the custom flanged pipes...I overpaid because I was impatient. :jester:

All in all, it sounds great but don't expect any huge performance gains. I actually lost 4lbs with this set-up...the stock :chevy: mufler is huge!

i guess this isn't gona be a problem. i want to do what you did with the two 40 series mufflers and i know it's not going to make a big performance differance but how does it sound? does it sound like every other truck with flowmaster or is it a little louder? i'm like you, i also like the look of the stock tip, but not the stock sound, i want this thing to be as loud as i can legally get it. :thumbs::chevy:

i guess this isn't gona be a problem. i want to do what you did with the two 40 series mufflers and i know it's not going to make a big performance differance but how does it sound? does it sound like every other truck with flowmaster or is it a little louder? i'm like you, i also like the look of the stock tip, but not the stock sound, i want this thing to be as loud as i can legally get it. :thumbs::chevy:

Well, it sounds like a typical 40 series flomaster exhaust system. I feel the FM 40 series (2 chamber) has the best performance tone that is not obnoxiously loud (like the anoying sound of glass-packs with no cats, typically found on the poor boy's ricers). Bassani mufflers are the next best tone IMO but are a little louder (street race series)...forget about the race series. Of course you can get real loud by taking off the cats and having a custom piece of flanged filler tube installed. Of course it is illegal in my state and makes your exhaust stink. My '91 mustang (347cid) has long tube headers flowing into Bassani race mufflers with turndowns...no cats. I get pulled over everytime I take it out. :cry: It sets off car alarms 50 feet away (like a good stereo does).

Just remember, this truck is new. In a few months, there will be cat back kits created that will take the guesswork out of it. :thumbs:

yea, i'll be looking for those cat-back kits as they come out, but in the meantime i'll just through some mufflers on. i have two flows in the garage, i'll probably just use those. :thumbs:

Don't be afraid to have the "big" companies do some customizing for ya. I have been working with Bassani on having a custom muffler built. They are expensive however, they are stainless :cool: and will outlast your truck! Here is some info for ya (past E-mail):

Hi Kevin,

We don't stock mufflers, but we do build them. What you are describing is a

5 X 10 muffler, or truck muffler. We will build to suit, MSRP $270.00 plus

shipping. See the attachments. It explains how to determine the part number and desired tone. Phone me toll free at 866-782-3283.

Thank you,

Sheldon Dzodin

Sales Technician

Bassani Xhaust

2900 E.La Jolla

Anaheim, CA 92806

Tel:(714)630-1821

Fax:(714)630-2980

[email protected]

www.bassani.com

I will forward you the attachments in your E-mail.

• Admin
We will build to suit, MSRP $270.00 plus

shipping.

Thats actually not a bad price at all! :cool:

I love the stock tip myself, but a louder richer sound is always welcome! :jester:

Modifications made post or behind the Cat monitoring or last O2 sensors will not be seen by the computer providing you do not create an exhaust leak near or adjacent to the post Cat O2 sensor, which could introduce Oxygen to that sensor.

Archived