DRL Replacments

those amber lights look pretty good

I *really* like the ambers. It associates the SS more with Vettes and TransAms, IMO and at least on the black truck looks sharp. Living in truck country, there are hundreds of pickups all around me (even another black and blue SS in town if you can believe that) so the Silverados are everywhere here, but I have the only truck in town with the amber DRL. I wonder how long before a few others in town begin changing theirs!

Mr. P. :)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeah i know but the ones at autozone seem to burn out after a day or two( high quality APC) :yellow_loser:

Get Sylvania 3157NALL at AutoZone. Not APC... The "LL" at the end of the part number means "Long Life". The "NA" means "Natural Amber", I think. In other words, the glass is an amber glass ampule, not clear glass dipped in bulb tint.

I put in the silver stars (amber) and they are much better than the standard 3157NALL that I had in there. The reason for me is that when the truck is off, the DRLs do not have the amber bulb look. The silverstar ambers look kind of HID (when off). Just my opinion :P

This doesn't have anything to do with amber DRL's but it does fit with the DRL Replacement topic.

Since our trucks do not come from the factory with fog lights is there anyway to get the DRL's to work as Driving Lights? A little more illumination?

Not sure if it's legal to have more than 1 pair of lights on above the bumper though?

I guess running power to them and then to a switch would work, but I was wondering if there was a way to trick or fool the existing headlight switch so that both could be on at the same time?

~ Brian

Thanks for the idea guys! :thumbs: I just ordered the whole set for my truck I am also replacing the signal bulbs. The cheapest place I found was ebay $37.85 for 2 sets(4 bulbs) of 3157A/4157A silverstar, Shipped. Everybody else wanted $45.00 For 2 sets (4 bulbs). Keep the ideas coming!! "I love this forum" :ughdance:

This doesn't have anything to do with amber DRL's but it does fit with the DRL Replacement topic.

Since our trucks do not come from the factory with fog lights is there anyway to get the DRL's to work as Driving Lights?  A little more illumination?

Not sure if it's legal to have more than 1 pair of lights on above the bumper though? 

I guess running power to them and then to a switch would work, but I was wondering if there was a way to trick or fool the existing headlight switch so that both could be on at the same time?

~ Brian

Search for the thread on using a $1 diode to jump the high-beam relay to the DRL relay - in your case you will choose to jump the low-beam relay to the DRL relay, too.

Mr. P. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I got my SS in August of 2003, and by September 5th I had Silverstars in both high and low beam, with the Painless Wiring High 4 Headlight conversion (30 amp relay) and Amber DRL's. I've got the only SS in my town, and have received several compliments on the lighting! I love it!...

Love the Silverstars too!

:cheers:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Chase whatup man i know you already got the piaa's but for next time if you want the brightest light bulb get a 3057 bulb it has the biggest filament and is the brightest...i have amber ones they look good...they are "GE" 3057 amber bulbs...all the other brands ive tried look yellow i wanted a really dark orange color almost red...they kinda match the Vette's DRL's :thumbs:

-Shane

i put mine in the first day i got my truck lol...

747670_34_full.jpg

747670_29_full.jpg

Archived