What's needed for...

Stiff1

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and am looking for a couple of answers. I tried to use the search feature but I turned up with nothing. I use to have a Camaro SS and my dad has a cts-v, and we would race all the time. It was always fairly close. I sold the car and now I am going to get a Silverado SS (just waiting to find the right one) and I told him that I could make it as fast as his car in the quater so we could still race. He doesn't think that I will be able to, so he challanged me to see if I can do it.

Here's my question. What type of mods do I need to be able to run mid 13s and still stay reliable? I would like to stay N/A if possible, and keep the cost to a minimun. I was thinking cam, headers, stall, cut-outs, custom tune, and intake. Would that be enough to beat him, or would I still need to do more? Also, what do you think all of that will run me cost wise?

Thanks

:cheers:

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and am looking for a couple of answers.  I tried to use the search feature but I turned up with nothing.  I use to have a Camaro SS and my dad has a cts-v, and we would race all the time.  It was always fairly close.  I sold the car and now I am going to get a Silverado SS (just waiting to find the right one) and I told him that I could make it as fast as his car in the quater so we could still race.  He doesn't think that I will be able to, so he challanged me to see if I can do it.

Here's my question.  What type of mods do I need to be able to run mid 13s and still stay reliable?  I would like to stay N/A if possible, and keep the cost to a minimun.  I was thinking cam, headers, stall, cut-outs, custom tune, and intake.  Would that be enough to beat him, or would I still need to do more?  Also, what do you think all of that will run me cost wise?

Thanks

:cheers:

I havent been on this site that long, let alone modding my ss out that long, but i can almost assure you that ur gonna need a little something extra (i.e. 50 - 75 shot and minimum good $) for 13's. with what i have read and learned from these other ss owners actual mods and times , ur gonna need some $$$ extras like new heads, more displacement to get into a decent 13 time N/A. in the strip and street threads, it shows what mods are on peoples trucks, and what times they have achieved with them. alot of guys with some basic mods and a blower, are mid to high thirteens. you have to remember this is a heavy awd truck. all that hp your 6.0 will make doesnt go directly to the rear wheels where you want it to for the quick times, a good portion of it (38%) i believe goes to the front. i think with the mods you want, you could get low 14's pretty easily, maybe better with a good stall, but i dont know much about stall times. dont let this steer you away from getting the ss though. you cant deny that the ss is the best looking truck on the road, and not to mention out performs all other non sport trucks on the road stock(like the dodge hemi) and is awd and extended cab making it very practical. i have to tell you though, modding this out just to keep up with the sport truck class(lightnings, f harleys) is alot of fun, and can be achieved with some, but not too much $.

yes the truck weighs a lot, which is why it isnt really capable of hanging with the L and srt10 stock.. with your dads car being weigh lighter, i would get the minimal tranny mods like the shift kit and servos.. also the torque converter would help compliment your mod list.

it all just depends on how much youre willing to spend... i believe a stroker kit is cheaper than the blowers... so.. what is your budget? this would help people get an idea.

welcome to the site!

"so.. what is your budget? this would help people get an idea."

I don't really have a set limit that I have put aside just for mods, but I am thinking something around 4-5k.

If I were to get nitrous on top of what I was thinking about geting, would the truck be able to handle it without any problems?

"How does your dad do with the wheel hop on the CTS-V to get it off the line in the 1/4m? Has he added on any of the kits for the rear suspension to reduce/eliminate this problem?"

This is his daily driver that I talked him into. I got him to get the bmr anti-wheel hop kit, corsa exhaust, and speed inc intake. After the anti-wheel hop kit, the car has not had a problem. It is one of the most fun vehicles that I have been able to drive.

"so.. what is your budget? this would help people get an idea."

I don't really have a set limit that I have put aside just for mods, but I am thinking something around 4-5k.

If I were to get nitrous on top of what I was thinking about geting, would the truck be able to handle it without any problems?

"How does your dad do with the wheel hop on the CTS-V to get it off the line in the 1/4m? Has he added on any of the kits for the rear suspension to reduce/eliminate this problem?"

This is his daily driver that I talked him into. I got him to get the bmr anti-wheel hop kit, corsa exhaust, and speed inc intake. After the anti-wheel hop kit, the car has not had a problem. It is one of the most fun vehicles that I have been able to drive.

[/quote

from what i have gathered, if you go 50 -100 shot, not gonna blow your tranny if ur not flooring it at every stop light with the no2 swich on. reserve it for the good races. as far as going 150 + iam not sure that would be great on your tranny, it sounds like the 60e will handle it , but i would imagine your gonna run it down eventually if your on the juice enough

Would I be better off going with a STS Turbo, cam, and tuning?  Would this yield a faster time.  Would I have to upgrade the turbo or could I just keep the basic kit?  Thanks for all the info.

An STS kit, cam and tuning would work well. For an otherwise stock motor, skip the cam and invest in big springs and 1.8 rockers. Definitely upgrade to the GT67.

Another option is a radix, cam, tune and exhaust.

Or as someone suggested above, spray her.

As with most questions like this, the real answer is in how much you want to pay, how much effort you're willing to invest, and what you really want out of the truck. If you sole goal is really just to beat the Caddy, NOS will get it done the cheapest.

TurbochargedBerserker: What would be a rought estimate of cost for the radix, cam, tune and exhaust?

Would I be better off going with a STS Turbo, cam, and tuning?  Would this yield a faster time.  Would I have to upgrade the turbo or could I just keep the basic kit?  Thanks for all the info.

An STS kit, cam and tuning would work well. For an otherwise stock motor, skip the cam and invest in big springs and 1.8 rockers. Definitely upgrade to the GT67.

Another option is a radix, cam, tune and exhaust.

Or as someone suggested above, spray her.

As with most questions like this, the real answer is in how much you want to pay, how much effort you're willing to invest, and what you really want out of the truck. If you sole goal is really just to beat the Caddy, NOS will get it done the cheapest.

Archived