How much would you pay???

fatboyss

I am going to install the following comp cam, 3000stall, asm headers, and shift kit right after Christmas and I was wondering what you guys thought it should cost.

I went to one place that does very good work and got a quote from them between $1200 to $1450. Is that about right???

damn...that sounds pretty cheap to me. my header install costed me nearly 600 bucks because of major grinding and fabrication plus welding. i think they would also have to pull the trans and engine for the converter and cam.. that pretty damn cheap if you ask me :chevy:

I am going to install the following comp cam, 3000stall, asm headers, and shift kit right after Christmas and I was wondering what you guys thought it should cost.

I went to one place that does very good work and got a quote from them between $1200 to $1450. Is that about right???

IMO, you can do a lot better on price. My entire engine build up, and tranny swap is only costing $1000, including the machining.

I think a good range for the stall and shift kit is $200-300. Cam about the same, and headers? $100-200.

How much is the hourly rate for the shop in question? You can figure out how much gouge is in the price based on that (stall and shift kit should be about 4-6 hours, cam the same if they are doing valve timing checks, headers about 2 hours IMO).

IMO, you can do a lot better on price. My entire engine build up, and tranny swap is only costing $1000, including the machining.

I think a good range for the stall and shift kit is $200-300. Cam about the same, and headers? $100-200.

How much is the hourly rate for the shop in question? You can figure out how much gouge is in the price based on that (stall and shift kit should be about 4-6 hours, cam the same if they are doing valve timing checks, headers about 2 hours IMO).

u know someone then b/c almost every shop is like $55-70 an hour. if they can do all of that for bout 1000 then they are some quick mechanics. well give me that places number b/c if ur only paying 1000 for a motor built and tranny swap they have some more business coming

they did not give an hourly rate, but they told me it would take 4 to 5 days to do and when a friend asked them about a cam about a month ago they told him around 400 to 450

I thought they sounded a little high but i know that they can do a good job and i dont know that many other places as well as i know these guys.

so you guys think i should find another place???

Thanks

Chase

IMO, you can do a lot better on price.  My entire engine build up, and tranny swap is only costing $1000, including the machining.

I think a good range for the stall and shift kit is $200-300.  Cam about the same, and headers?  $100-200.

How much is the hourly rate for the shop in question?  You can figure out how much gouge is in the price based on that (stall and shift kit should be about 4-6 hours, cam the same if they are doing valve timing checks, headers about 2 hours IMO).

u know someone then b/c almost every shop is like $55-70 an hour. if they can do all of that for bout 1000 then they are some quick mechanics. well give me that places number b/c if ur only paying 1000 for a motor built and tranny swap they have some more business coming

:wtf:

Chuck T @ All Pro Performance in FL. I think the commute might cost you some though...

You might consider spending some time getting to know the local shops and finding the ones who will charge you for the actual amount of time they spend on your truck...

they did not give an hourly rate, but they told me it would take 4 to 5 days to do and when a friend asked them about a cam about a month ago they told him around 400 to 450

I thought they sounded a little high but i know that they can do a good job and i dont know that many other places as well as i know these guys.

so you guys think i should find another place???

Thanks

Chase

I wouldn't use a shop that claims not to have an hourly rate that they base the estimates on. Basically, folks do this so they can gouge you on work.

yeah your guys are high, the shops here are high and only charged $1000 to pull and swap motors. they wanted $300 for a cam and spring swap and also the same for a stall. So I think you should be able to get everything done in about 10-14hrs. $70X14hrs=$980 on the high side.

:eek::eek::eek: holy crap you got a hell of a deal!!!

your prices are VERY low that you are quoting. if you can get it for 1200 DO IT! that is pretty cheap, if you don't want to do it yourself that is :thumbs:

if you don't want to do it yourself that is :thumbs:

I wish I knew how, I have the time but knowledge about any of it :cheers:

Thanks for the opinions guys and if any one is around or knows of any places to go to I would appriciate it... I am from Phenix City AL. and go to school at UGA so I could take it anywhere near these places.

Thanks again

if you don't want to do it yourself that is :thumbs:

I wish I knew how, I have the time but knowledge about any of it :cheers:

Thanks for the opinions guys and if any one is around or knows of any places to go to I would appriciate it... I am from Phenix City AL. and go to school at UGA so I could take it anywhere near these places.

Thanks again

cam installs are really very easy on these and the headers would be even easier :) go to www.ls1howto.com and read through the f-body cam install. it's basically the same for our trucks. not to hard :cool: there is PLENTY of room to work in our engine bays.

Archived