ASP underdrive pulley info needed

below is what tbyrnes site says about the asp underdirve pulleys. i am going to order.. but i dont know which to get... the crank pulley only... or the crank and alt. pulley. i have a custom tune with added rpm's at idel to compenste for the pulleys... but i just havent got them yet. please let me know what the difference is.. and which is better for my ss with e fans. thanks i want to order these as a christmas present for myself.

"Underdrive pulleys reduce the amount of drag on the front of the crankshaft by changing pulley diameter allowing more power to be sent to the wheels. By reducing drag the engine will also run more efficiently. This mod will give you an 8-10 horsepower gain

Part Number Item Price

549900 ASP Steel harmonic balancer pulley, required belts and harmonic balancer bolt $249.99

549984 ASP Steel balancer and alternator pulleys along with belts and harmonic balancer bolt (- 25% balancer and -23% alternator)$279.99"

i believe the UDP are smaller than the current pulleys, and so theoretically you should see a slight increase in power as the engine is not usonmg as much work on the alternator pulley, along with the rest of the pulleys. I believe the alternator pulley is the main choice because it is the accesory that is on most, besides the waterpump.

i believe the UDP are smaller than the current pulleys, and so theoretically you should see a slight increase in power as the engine is not usonmg as much work on the alternator pulley, along with the rest of the pulleys. I believe the alternator pulley is the main choice because it is the accesory that is on most, besides the waterpump.

i completely understand the concept of UDP's... but im not sure which to go with... the one with alt pulley or without.

i know the smaller crank pulley is the main part of it... but if im thinking correct.. going with the smaller alt pulley.. will be spinning the alt. more? i think.. .and im not sure if thats good .. .or bad.

i completely understand the concept of UDP's... but im not sure which to go with... the one with alt pulley or without.

i know the smaller crank pulley is the main part of it... but if im thinking correct.. going with the smaller alt pulley.. will be spinning the alt. more? i think.. .and im not sure if thats good .. .or bad.

yeah, the UDP will eventuallyt destroy the bearings in ur alternator. It is sorta just the price u pay to play. FWIW alternator bearings are not that expensive, i had the alternators rebuilt for two other trucks, a 98, and a 2000 and it was under 50$ each time.

ok.. im not worried about alternators.. i can fix them.

but which gives me more power? i am assuming the both pulleys.. but im stil not sure. just want to be sure im ordering correctly.. i dont want to get one.. then find that i should have gone the other wya with it.

ok.. im not worried about alternators.. i can fix them.

but which gives me more power? i am assuming the both pulleys.. but im stil not sure. just want to be sure im ordering correctly.. i dont want to get one.. then find that i should have gone the other wya with it.

well, if u get a UDP for the crank isn't the waterpump goiung to turn more slowly??

Archived