Trans heating from servos

my comment was more directed toward joe. if you're going into some detail on a topic, it doesn't leave that person open to tell someone why product A works better than product B when all they know about the product is simply what they've read or discussed from another person. computers is another hobby i have and if i read into a certain processor, it doesn't leave room for me to go into detail why mine overclock's better than a buddies as my knowledge on the processor is no more than what i simply read. Bugsdad certainly seems to have experience in the area at hand and is familier with the products. my guess would be that his experience is similar to mine in that he didn't just learn about the products he's using without trying them and knowing what that part's job is in the first place. i've ran into many guys on the street going on and on about the parts they bought for their truck/car and how good they are. with my last truck, i was at a 14.86 best while another guy with the same truck had been previously bragging about the parts he had in his truck to the tune of around 5500 dollars or so in parts. mine had never had the valve covers off it in over 100k and still had the stock programming. needless to say his list of parts he was bragging about wasn't so impressive being .02 faster. JamesB over at LS1TECH told me that my buddies tahoe wouldn't likely break into the 13's and if it did it was going to break the trans or rear. well, the first weekend out with the supercharger on it we beat his best time by almost .4 on the street tires we drive it every day on 50 miles after we put the blower on. the trans is stock other than a zippy kit and the stock rear hasn't had an issue yet. he's very technical and will type in detail why his whipple is the best blower made along with why he went with a 4L80E and 14 bolt rear (which was a good way to slow the truck down). being informative doesn't lead you very far until you have went anywhere with it. my point is unless you really want to learn in detail, be cautious about what you're telling the guy next to based on what you have read or heard. other than trying to sell you a product, most tech guys won't go much into detail.

Bugsdad, this isn't directed toward you if that's how your taking it. when someone is on here and goes into much detail, it just leads to many questions and new experts. i think it's good that you're posting your information and that it comes from experience.

dude sorry, I know you rock zippy, I enjoy your input too much to dis you, I was just commenting on how some threds with extra tech and explination are cool b/c it validates your knowledge...I know zippy knows his stuff-there is a shift kit named after him :cool: I just was asking so that I could have a better understanding, so I can know like you. saying you have a shift kit is stupid IMO if you dont understand the workiings of a auto trans, and how improving some parts will help the function. I apoligize to Zippy if you took any offense I have nothing but respect for you and all that you do for the SSS comunity.

I am ready to start modding and shift kit and SS lines are needed b4 I can go faster with an STS :devil:

G.I. Joe said it best..."knowing is half the battle."

great pic of those parts, reminds me of when the accumulator piston pic came out and you really understood why that part needs to be replaced...

happy new year

joe

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for the late reply but I was wanting to wait and make sure nothing else popped up. TCI sent a new converter. The clutch was out in the other one. I knew it couldnt have been Brians tune or zippys servos. Somebody answer me this, though. If I bought the converter from a shop and they installed it and it messed up. Should I have to pay $400 for them to put the new one in that TCI sent? My brother went and picked my truck up(I couldnt) so he just thought he had to pay for it and didnt tell me until he got back.

I am so glad that its running good now, anyways. Since I was in a good mood, I smoked a hemy from about 70mph and then killed a dakota r/t from a stop. It was a great night. The dakota was way behind me when I let off at a little over a 1/4 of a mile.

• 1 month later...

Weeeeeelllllllllll............my tranny is GONE. I figured this would happen to me. There goes $1500 for nothing. I have wasted enough money on this DAMN truck to get it twin turbod AND more. I am about to just give up. I would take this out on TCI but Im not sure if its completely their fault. Im not sure if the new tranny is gonna make it under warranty but I will see. If it doesnt, I need to know how much it is to get it built. Ideas???

If its under warranty, I am going to get a job and try to get a loan out. I will be getting some type of FI. I might get an ATI because of some small small connections. I might get Magna or Vortech because of the reliability and proven power. And I might get Ben's STS because I REALLY like the STS design but Im worried about any problems that can happen because they WILL happen to me. Yall know my luck. Give me some input, please.

Archived