Ground Force arrival

1ChevySS

Damm, you have to love the sound of those squeaky breaks that the UPS trucks are commonly known for! Got the kit today and will hesitate no longer. I will have it installed tomorrow and will most likely take some pictures. CHECK OUT THE POSTS TOMORROW NIGHT! :jester:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, here we go. I had the kit installed. No problems with that. But a major problem with the alighnment. Here are the numbers, maybe someone at ground force can help out here.

MEASURE AND DOCUMENT THE VEHICLE HEIGHT FROM FLOOR TO FENDER LID!

LF-331/2 RF 331/2 LR 34&13/16 RR 34&13/16

LEFT FRONT RIGHT FRONT

ACT BEFOR RANGE

-0.6* -2.0* -0.3 TO 0.8 CAMBER -0.7* -2.6* -0.3 TO 0.8

4.9* 4.7 2.8 TO 4.8 CASTER 5.4* 5.6* 3.1 TO 5.1

0.05 -0.32* -0.05 TO 0.15 TOE 0.04 -0.08* -0.05 TO 0.15

11.1 12.5 SAI 11.0 12.9

10.5 10.5 INCLUDED ANGLE 10.4 10.3

ACTUAL BEFORE SPECIFIED RANGE

CROSS CAMBER .1 .6* -.5 TO .5

CROSS CASTER .5 -.9* -.8 TO .2

TOTAL TOE .09 .40* .10 TO .30

SET BACK -.01 -.16

*=VALUE IS NOT WITHIN SPECIFICATION.

What all of these numbers add up to is a major pull to the right. I havent heard any of you say anything about a pull to the right. As I took a better look at the paperwork I noticed the specifications are for an 03 Silverado 4x4 1500. Differences? most likely?

Please can someone, who had an alighnment on their truck with the Ground Force installed, give me their specifications? The truck rides stiffer than before but the pull is a pain in the a$$.

I will find out what the shop specs were. I know the guy who did the job and he is on the ball. He has done multiple Denalis and Escalades. I will find out what the deal is. No pull either way.

Wizard.

I do have a very slight pull to the right. The place where I had mine aligned siad to bring back anytime if I noticed anything. I am just waiting to do the torsion keys.

1chevySS, hae you had your's aligned yet?

Also, Your ride is stiffer now that it's lowered? Mine is too, I was going to do the keys just to see if it would help but why bother if you have a stiffer ride too. I ordered new bumpstops, I may install them without trimming them and see how it rides.

Seems odd that I would be stiffer after loosening the torsion bars. Anyone else who lowered with the torsion bars, how's your ride?

Oh, the reason I'm just now mentioning some of this is because I have driven my truck quite a bit in the last few days so I'm noticing more about the ride.

O.K. the front end was resting on the bump stops, that would explain the rougher than Hell ride. I checked the torsion keys and I could unscrew them by finger tip. So, I tightened them up untill the front ground to lip level was level at 34 Inches. I Drove it before and after and noticed a 100% change in the ride, just like factory.

So I then washed it and noticed that the LR was sitting a little lower than the RR. When I measured the ground to fender lip the LR was 34 and the RR was at 35. WTF. I went under the truck and I could slide my hand between the RR Bump stop but not the LR. So I measured the shocks and found out that the LR was an inch shorter. By pushing up on the bed I noticed the sound of a bad shock. The left rear shock is shot. It makes a noise like its leaking. I will have to call GF in the morning and have them send me Two new ones so that I can replace them both.

But if they were, the ride would be rough as hell. The bumpstops are for preventing the bottoming out of the suspension. There has to be at least a half inch play for the suspension. Also if that were true, it would drop the front 2inches , and at the top of the instructions it says " 1inch front and 2inch rear drop" Also if the front were that way, shouldnt the rear also be like that?

just questions I am asking.

When I raised the front end to 34inchs(ground to fender lip) the ride returned to the original stiffness. I dont want to get rid of the great ride the truck has.

When I did mine, the front bumpstops were touching the a-frame from the factory. I verified on another stock SS(the red one in the sig).

The first time I lowered it, I cut the stock bumpstop so that I had about 1/2"clearance. But it seemed too soft.

So I got some new ones and cut them so that they just barely touch the a-frame at ride height. If you notice they are soft and not like polyurethane.

BTW, how does everyone like the shocks from GF? I'm thinking of getting some.

2dr and Jeff. Thanks. I gotta keep this short cuz I promised the tech guys I wouldn't kid around in their tech section and I forgot that when I posted the doggie picture. Suffice it to say I call my guard dog, Sir. :D

You know Lee they say that sometimes the owners look like thier pets.

You couldn't be sayin' that if you had your picture in the mug shot thread, big guy. :jester:

Archived