Ground Force arrival

1ChevySS

1chevySS,

I was just repeating what the GF manual said. I happy you got your ride back to normal, how much clearance is between the bumpstop and lower a arm now. I think I need to trim mine more. I agree with you that if it is riding on the bumpstop too hard it will kill the travel and therefore the ride.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3/4 of an inch now. I was wondering if when you adjusted your torsion bars, it somehow affected the height of the rear end. It might sound crazy but when I adjusted the front again it seemed the rear end was affected. With the busted new shock and all. :confused::confused:

1chevySS, you now have 3/4" of space between the lower A arm and the bumpstop? ANd my rear has stayed consistant throughout. Why don't you reinstall the factory rear shocks for the time being and see if the rear levels out? If you don't have the front level I can see it affecting the rear.

Blackhawk, I'm running the stock tires still.

3/4 of an inch now. I was wondering if when you adjusted your torsion bars, it somehow affected the height of the rear end. It might sound crazy but when I adjusted the front again it seemed the rear end was affected. With the busted new shock and all. :confused::confused:

After any adjustment, make sure you take it out for a quick drive to let the suspension settle. Then measure. If your doing that, :confused: , just measure it again :P

I used a yard stick, and noticed, depending on how I held it (how perfectly straight it was) and to the exact same point, it would vary .25-.5 in. Not exactly percision measurement. :rolleyes:

O.K. Here is the deal. The guy who installed the kit did not preload the torsion bars. By not doing that the truck sat 2 1/2 inches lower in the front. It looked good but drove like a rice burner. I took it to the chevy dealer and a day and a half later I got it back and it drives a little softer than stock. The guy cut my bumpstops from the top down, not bottom up, so the bumpstop is now only a half of a ring. once was three now is one. So I have to replace those when I get time. The chevy dealer only charged me for two alignments, they worked on it for 12 hours. I thought I was going to have to chop off a leg or something. No more modifications for the exterior. Well maybe the windows need tinting. When I get back to TX, I will post some pictures.

See my post about the p/n for the bumpstops, I just got my two new ones. By not preloading do you mean he just slide the keys on the hex in a way so that they were on the torsion bar so they lined up to the crossmember already? It's hard to explain what I am thinking here. Also, what is the measurement of the front from ground to fender lip now?

Thanks

Yea Rico, he made the job easier by sliding the torsion bar into the key so that all he had to do was install the bolts and tighten them. Because he cut the bumpstop so short, he thought that he was doing the installation right.

The ride height ground to fender lip is now as yours is, 34 in front and 34 1/2 in rear for a 1/2 inch rake.

I have the part #. Thanks. I will post some pictures when I get back home.

Glad to hear everything worked out for you. I may have to try the keys after all. My ride is slightly firmer than stock now for some reason. I would think cranking the bars down would soften the front but it does seem a little firmer. What I need to do is take a ride in one that isn't lowered so I can compare back to back.

Alos, let me know how the bumpstop removal and replacement goes, seems like it's going to be a PITA.

Rico,

Not to say I don't trust you, but I would love to get a ride in your truck compared to mine just to see how it feels, being used to mine then riding in yours. Any time you get a chance, let me know, we'll meet up over at crossgates.

Drop me an e-mail ma man

So guys where is the best place to get the GF Kit ? There was some info on another thread talking about about Summit, but looking online there are not listed. Also doing a search for the GF Part number (9971) 2003 Silverado SS AWD 2-2 and nothing.

One more thing does anyone know the 10% discount code for ording thru summit ?

Dave

Archived