Please Help! Klanking/rattling Noise

Hi Everyone Rob here, I have been a member for a couple of years and I bought Justin Lamana's 2003 SS a couple of months ago. Truck has been awesome and Justin did a great job on it and it was well maintained.

MY Problem:

During acceleration there is a rattling\clanking coming from the driveline. It seem to be concentrated in the front but sometimes I think I hear it mid way back. You also here a clank during most harder shifts. THE NOISE STARTED AS A CLANK AT SHIFT ABOUT 1.5 MONTHS AGO AND HAS NOW TURNED INTO A RATTLING during shifts and acceleration.

My Troubleshooting:

1. I though at first that it was probably a U-joint so I got under the truck and checked them out and they seemed secure.

2. I next went to the exhaust, its got the gibson set up with some welded in dumps and there is a section mid ways back that barely contact the frame. I put the truck on the left and put some padding under the contact point to remove this from the suspect list.

3. While on the lift I inspected the motor mounts the exhaust and checked the play in the u joints and the transfer case. The transfer case seemed to have a little slack, but I am not verry familiar with awd/4x4 components.

My Theories

1. Cats? ( they are hollowed out)

2. Torsional bars need adjustment? (dont know how or when you would do this)

3. Motor Mount or Trans mount? ( I visually inspected them, but that doesnt say much)

4. Some how my driveline is out of alignment or balance. (truck was lowered by Justin and he never had problems)

5. Transfer case needs replacement or servicing

6. Transmission shaft (it shifts fine in all gears)

Catalyst

I have made no changes to the truck since purchasing it, THE NOISE STARTED AS A CLANK AT SHIFT ABOUT 1.5 MONTHS AGO AND HAS NOW TURNED INTO A RATTLING during shifts and acceleration. The only other thing with the truck is that it throws a 0170 0174 code often which I think is unrelated(rich/lean)

Leaning on you guys experience, any theories would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advanced

The truck

2003 Black SS 31000miles

Performance:

• Kenne Bell 2.2L 90mm Supercharger

• ETP 225 chamber, 11 degree Head w/ stage 3 valves/springs

• Custom grind Comp Cam (224º-226º /.591"-.600" @114ºlsa)

• 90mm FAST Intake

• 90mm Corvette LS6 Throttle Body Conversion-Speartech Harness-Corvette TAC Module

• 8 Rib Pulley Set-up w/ Overdrive Crank Pulley

• Rollmaster Dual Chain Set w/ Torrington Bearing

• Trick Flow Chromalloy Push Rods

• ARP Head Studs

• Corvette Valley Pan

• 60 lbs Fuel Injectors

• FAST Fuel Rails

• Walbro 255lph In-Line Fuel Pump

• Aeromotive Compact EFI Fuel Regulators 35-70 psi

• Taylor 409 Race-Fit Pro Race Spark Plug Wires, 10.4mm

• NGK TR6 Spark Plugs, .032 gap

• Dynatech Long Tube Headers w/ gutted Dynatech Converts

• Custom Dual Exhaust with Cut-Outs

• Transgo HD2 Shift Kit w/ Billet Servos

• Trailblazer 2800 Torque Converter

• Tru-Cool MAX transmission cooler: 45,000 BTU

• Flex-A-Lite Duel Electric Fans

• 160˚ Thermostat

• Yellow Top Battery

• Tuning done by Ed Wright @ FASTCHIPS

I wanted to rap my post up as I have found the problem and fixed it. First of all thanks to all those who gave input towards the tedious trouble shooting.

I would also like to thank 4 Wheel Parts located in Jacksonville Fl on 103rd ST. These guys brought my truck into their shop and put it on jack stands to help me do some trouble shooting, FOR FREE!

It turns out that the problem was my transfer case, changed it and the problem is fixed.

I purchased my transfercase from the dealership for about $1150 with a warranty.

I had it installed by 4 Wheel Parts for pretty cheap and they changed all of my u-joints for the same price that quoted for the transfer case(both front and rear driveshafts). I didnt do the swap myself because I have been strapped for time with work and needed it done.

In conclusion my problem is fixed, If you have a similar problem then I would review this entire topic to reviews others inputs, hope this helps the next guy.

Rob

Also Check this out if you think your t-case viscous coupler is bad:

QUOTE (detjoe @ Apr 27 2009, 10:29 PM)

http://www.wtfba.org/temp/NVG-149.pdf

hope this helps.

Edited by rwoodards (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Update! Still need Help!

I have searched the forum and found a couple of possibilities. Front Diff, Wheel Cylinder, crossmember.

I think that i have eliminated the crossmember as i can not see if loose anywhere.

I was going to drain the diff fluid today but decided to do some more testing to avoid wasting the oil in the event that I require a front diff change.

I placed the truck in gear and gave it some gas while lightly applying brakes. At first there was nothing then the noise sounded as if it was coming front the front diff, almost like the axle spun freely for a split second then caught.

Please any info would be greatly appreciated

Rob

I had a similar problem a few months ago and it was the starter bendix. Sometimes I would hear a noise and sometimes I wouldnt. There was a spring in the bendix that was held in place by a c-clip that had worn out and broke allowing the starter gear to slide into the flywheel and cause a clanging-rattling noise. I noticed it the most when I was accelerating. I hope this helps you and anyone else have any ideas?

I had a similar problem a few months ago and it was the starter bendix. Sometimes I would hear a noise and sometimes I wouldnt. There was a spring in the bendix that was held in place by a c-clip that had worn out and broke allowing the starter gear to slide into the flywheel and cause a clanging-rattling noise. I noticed it the most when I was accelerating. I hope this helps you and anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks for the input, I will probably pull the starter and check it out. Did the sound resemble a driveline noise? Was there any difference when you started the truck, symptoms? Thanks

Thanks for the input, I will probably pull the starter and check it out. Did the sound resemble a driveline noise? Was there any difference when you started the truck, symptoms? Thanks

Yes it did, The noise was random. The truck started fine and I guess the vibration from the engine caused the starter gear to slide into the flywheel, almost sounded like a stick in the cooling fan. And as soon as the gear hit the flywheel it slid back in place and would vibrate back into it again and so on.