New Television

SuperDave

all DLP's are rear projection (unless you go w/ a DLP front projector and screen)

BEWARE: costco sells the older discontinued verison w/ only has the gen1 HD DLP processor. The newer ones have the latest DLP chip and are DRAMATICALLY BETTER than the old ones.

The thinnest available DLP is the RCA 61" profile series... a little less than than 7" thick :eek:

Its the only DLP you can hang like a plasma on the wall.

RCA Profile DLP

A couple other recommendations:

Hitachi doesn't have a DLP, but the very similar LCD rear projection. Their Ultravision 60 and 70" units are pretty nice

LG electronics possibly has the best BANG FOR THE BUCK DLPs... if its any conselation I could have any brand out there (i sell all of them) and I have a 52" LG HD DLP.

Steer clear of Sony... this will ruffle some feathers... but I know what I'm talking about here. Sony's primary components are manufactured by other companies and merely assembled in a Sony facotry. You can get a much better TV for the $$$... with Sony you pay for the name.

It all changes when you go to look at them! I had my eye on the Samsung 61'' but the picture quality was not that great and it looked like crap on an angle....

I based mine off of picture quality. Then came over-all looks…(I didn’t want a Bar/Basement looking TV)

It’s not like I going to paint my truck white…but the wife's approval had a factor…

The Samsung on the pedestal had a better picture but it would not look good in my Living Room….My $.02.

N%20RD.jpg

05754068000-dlv.jpg

05754164000-dlv.jpg

05754088000-dlv.jpg

05754484000-dlv.jpg

Hey Dylan...

I've seen the Profile online in a few places for around 6899.00 to 7299.00. What can you sell me one for?

I have almost talked myself into it, and I've about got the guts up to tell ( I mean ask) the wife about doing it!

Thanks for all of your information.

I could just tell by the looks that the Profile was the hot ticket! Till next month anyway!

SuperDave

Depending where you are its hard to say. With freight, taxes, etc. I'd probably be right in the area of $6800-$7000... plus they're slow production units so they take some time for me to get right now.... I have a dozen of them on order that won't be here till mid january.

Is the Profile built well? I've heard a lot of bad stuff about RCA lately, and if I spend a lot of cash on a new set, it's gonna have to be bullett proof for my satisfaction.

I currently have a ProScan 35" tube I bought in 1994 which is still running great. ProScan is high end RCA....and used to be the best tube you could buy. I've read stories about them going to crap like the rest of RCA did, but I don't have the facts.

So is your LG (which is the same as Zenith isn't it?) really that nice? and what price range is it in?

Thanks for all the help Dylan, I appreciate it! By the way, does anyone use the live chat here anymore?

RCA has some problems w/ their basic line systems (RCA, RCA CINEMAVISION) but thier 'high end' stuff has performed well in all the situations we have used them. Stick w/ either SCENIUM or PROfile line stuff and you'll be OK.

Yer right. LG bought out Zenith... I could write a l o n g story about why thats a good thing, but just take my word for it. Heres the specs on the TV I have:

RU-52SZ61D

You should be able to find the LG anywhere between $2500 and $3000 if shop around. *** key point to note is it has an HD2 chip ***

Mine is a year old and was available in silver back then, but essentially the same TV.

I love this stuff so if you ever need info or help just let me know! :thumbs:

I've got one more quick round for you Dylan...Have you seen the Profile in person yet? If so, how does the picture compare to your LG? I've never seen the pic of the LG but the Profile is freakin' awesome!

I have a Scenium 34" HDTV 16:9 with a built in progressive scan DVD player and I was a little disappointed when the 4:3 signal looked all short and wide and the people on tv looked like they gained 50 pounds! But the DVD pic is totally awesome.

I'll be running the new TV with my directv so the pic should be fine. I may be getting VooM HD before too long, so a signal isn't going to be a problem. I just want to buy the right set to begin with!

Thanks again...

I just bought the "SAMSUNG" DLP 50" PEDESTAL -- our house is Modern and it looks really Nice with our leather furniture. EXCELLENT Picture Quality, only Not too happy with the Sound. I will probably get the Samsung speaker system that can go with the TV. I wanted the 56" model but wasn't available. Also have a PIONEER PLASMA TV mounted on our Brick Fireplace. Also have a Ceiling Mount Sharp Projector 96". As you can tell I am addicted to TV's. :)

Ginnie

I've got one more quick round for you Dylan...Have you seen the Profile in person yet? If so, how does the picture compare to your LG? I've never seen the pic of the LG but the Profile is freakin' awesome!

Yes, I've seen it in person. To be honest it would be a toss up for picture quality, but the one thing w/ the RCA is the viewing angle... any viewning more than a little off center is difficult. I think it has a lot to do w/ the angle at which the lense has to shoot on that unit that it kills some of the viewing angle. Not horrible, but don't expect to sit 45* from the center and see anything.

I have a Scenium 34" HDTV 16:9 with a built in progressive scan DVD player and I was a little disappointed when the 4:3 signal looked all short and wide and the people on tv looked like they gained 50 pounds!  But the DVD pic is totally awesome.

Big benefit to Zenith/LG (some other brands offer this) is a "Panorama" setting for all formats other than 16:9. Basically its a progressive stretch so it fills the widescreen w/o making the people look fat or stretched out. It auto-detects HD format and switches to widescreen when its available.

I'll be running the new TV with my directv so the pic should be fine. I may be getting VooM HD before too long, so a signal isn't going to be a problem. I just want to buy the right set to begin with!

Thanks again...

DIRECTV is the way to go, but I'd avoid Voom. We offer Voom and the main problem is that you have to deal w/ an entire source outside of your regular programming just to watch HD... and to top it off they don't have that many good channels in HD that you can't get thru DIRECTV, DISHNETWORK, or Cable. IMO you'd be better off going w/ HD equipment thru DIRECTV, that way the integration between you basic programming and HD service is seamless. If you REALLY want to do it up right order an HD-TiVo... all the benefits of HD plus DVR functions w/ 80hours of record time! Thats going to be my next purchase. :thumbs:

Hop that helps... let me know if you need anything else. :cheers:

TVAuthority.com is advertising the Scenium Profile 61" for 6200.00 to your door ground shipping included.

Does that sound like a good price to anyone else?

It's got the same viewing angle as most HD2 chip sets. 160°... :dunno:

I purchased a Sony 42 Grand Wega LCD projection tv. So far iI like it a lot Perfect size for my living room. (under 2300.00) HDtv tunner built in, slot for a dish card, digital cable ready, I had real good luck with Sonys .I hope this one lasts as long as my old 27 incn trinitron.

TVAuthority.com is advertising the Scenium Profile 61" for 6200.00 to your door ground shipping included.

Does that sound like a good price to anyone else?

It's got the same viewing angle as most HD2 chip sets. 160°... :dunno:

Thats a really good price! (especially considering its only a little over what I buy them for) I'd say go for it, just make sure you get the 2 year factory warranty included w/ it. That includes in home repairs for 2 years (parts and labor) and an additional 1 year parts. I beleive standard 1 year is what they usually come with :thumbs:

Archived