What kind of baloney is this????

Extreme4x4

My husband just handed me the Wheel and Tire Guide from Motor Trend/Automobile mag. In it there is an article in the wheel and tire fitment guide called "How big is too big???"

I will quote from it.

"When I went to have a driveline problem fixed on my Chevy truck, which has 20-inch KMC wheels on it, the dealer told me my warranty was void. GM has an alert bulletin saying that if any of their full-size trucks have 20-inch or bigger wheels and tires on them, they will not cover any problems under the warranty. They have the right to do that because they didn't design the vehicles to have 20-24-inch wheels and tires on there."

Now, either this dealer is a major BS artist........ or GM is pulling something. I would think that all someone would have to do is point out that the SS comes with 20's from the factory......... and it's axles are no different than any others........ to bypass the 20's problem. But still............

Does anyone here work for GM???? Does an alert bulletin really exist on this???? I knew there was something on the Allison trans with bigger tires........ but have seen nothing on this.

Sorry for the post........ it just made me wonder. I see these trucks and SUV's with 20-24" wheels all over the place. I would think that it is BS........ but who knows.

As you probably know, they cannot "void" your warranty over an after market addition. They can deny coverage for the individual problem, if they can make a case that the problem you are trying to warranty was caused by the modification. For instance, ball joints failing prematurely due to larger tires/wheels could be plausible, but not a failed catalytic converter.

Sounds more like a case of a another dealer out to rip people off. :rolleyes:

i don't recall seeing anything on this either. either way someone with wheels that size might have an issue getting a claim paid unless they had an ss as the dealer would then say only the ss is built for it. the dealership i work for would cover for the most part anything not vibration or steering related reguardless. unfortunatly that's the bad part of modifying anything from stock, most dealers refuse to work with you and the tech's are quite often the cause. going to check dealerworld in a few, i'll post it if i find anything.

As you probably know, they cannot "void" your warranty over an after market addition. They can deny coverage for the individual problem, if they can make a case that the problem you are trying to warranty was caused by the modification. For instance, ball joints failing prematurely due to larger tires/wheels could be plausible, but not a failed catalytic converter.

Sounds more like a case of a another dealer out to rip people off. :rolleyes:

BTW Lee, thanks........... that would be good for everyone to know. :)

Yea, but how much money and hassle does the average Joe then have to put up with, or go through ......... just to get something fixed that he shouldn't have had a problem with in the first place.

For instance, GM has had driveline vibration problems with their 2-piece rear driveshaft. Some have it........ some don't........ but it is a known problem. Just like the transfer case rear yokes go bad (we replaced many in our shop). Since this is a known problem, it would be a real bad deal for Mr. Average to take his truck in for either of these known problems...... only to be denied warranty coverage because he has 20's on it.

Now, of course GM realizes that if push comes to shove, they will have to fix it under warranty. However they are banking on the fact that the majority of the people out there won't want to deal with the hassle......... and will just pay to have it fixed. This is how these mega companies get away with this stuff. They are big........ you are little. Thus, they are right (even when they are not)...... and you are wrong (even when you are right).

It just makes me mad. In these tight economic times, it seems like any manufacturer will look for any excuse to make YOU pay for something that they messed up in the first place. As someone who owned her own business........ my way of thinking is way different. To me, when times are tuff, you go out of your way for your customers even more than normal. People will remember this....... and your business will benefit greatly from this in the long run.

Of course today, about the farthest ahead that corporate America looks, is next month. :rolleyes:

The friend of mine who is the GM of a local Chevy store said pretty much what Dave said. If the warranty problem is connected to something the owner changed then the store may or may not honor the warranty. All depends on the store.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Manusson-Moss Warranty Act. This is the bible for warranty issues and protects the consumer against those dealers that find it easier to just blame aftermarket products. Unless they can prove that that aftermarket directly cause a part to fail then this act has you covered. They must provide, in writing why they are denying coverage.

Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act

A simpler version

Just mention this Act to the dealership and see how quickly they change their tune. Trouble is not enough consumers know of it I guess.

It all depends on the dealer.....some dealers BS you so you end up paying them out of your pocket for repairs, and of course you pay more then GM would pay, so they will try anything. I just came back from a Caddy dealer that had at least 10 Escalades and Ext's with 22" wheels/ tires already installed by the dealer.....how can they bs you on warranty work when they are selling the trucks with 22" installed :rolleyes::D

Archived