Wide-Band O2 Sensors

SSplaytoy

With everything I have done to my truck, I figured why not go for new O2 sensors, so I was just wondering which brand I should go with.

I have a tendency to just have to do something to my truck, and this is another one of those things.

If you are replacing your stock O2 sensor then you have no choice but to use the stock O2.

The only reason you would want to install a wideband is if you are using a tuner or wideband monitoring device. And you would want to add an additional O2 bung, not remove any of your stock ones.

Do not hook up a wideband to you stock computer.

Stock sensors are narrowband sensors. Do they make wideband stock replacement sensors? Hmmm.....must be really expensive if they do. You could just replace the front ones, since the computer uses them the most. It would really help with your tuning.

I know to completely replace all four stock sensors using GM parts is over $200.

you have no benefit for having a wideband unless you plan on using it for accurate A/F ratios while tunning.

Plus all O2's are too expensive unless you use a universal(narrow) for around $50+

I would recommend if you are running something other than bolt ons. (NOS,Turbo,Super etc)

I do have a radix, so you think it would be a good idea? I am personally not that sure now. I figured with a wideband I could get better combustion in the cylinder, which would be better.

That much money however, for something that wouldn't boost horsepower that much, isn't really worth it I guess.

I do have a radix, so you think it would be a good idea? I am personally not that sure now. I figured with a wideband I could get better combustion in the cylinder, which would be better.

That much money however, for something that wouldn't boost horsepower that much, isn't really worth it I guess.

I see no great benefit. I would not be surprised if the PCM was not capable of taking the wider range of sensitivity and putting it to use. I have a wideband, but it is a handheld unit that comes with it's own O2 sensor to plug in. I would use it for fine tuning of the air/fuel mixture. Once that is done, I would probably put it away with periodic checks from time to time.

If you want to use an air/fuel meter in your truck for monitoring (many do), then the one that uses a wideband sensor is definitely the way to go. A lot more expensive, but if you really want to know what the a/f is, the best route to go. There are others that just tap into the wires of the stock O2 sensors. I am not a huge fan of those and have read a lot about them on LS1tech website.

• 1 month later...

Ok; lets continue this story...

What if I would like to add a WideBand sensor for specific AFR-monitoring. I understooth I should be able to connect this to HP Tuners.

But how do I install that extra Sensor? Is it just a matter of drilling an extra hole in the exhaust or what?

Most wideband sensors have a build in heating element; so that shouldn't be the problem; as a O2 sensor needs a specific temp. to work.

Thanks

Pascal

If you are replacing your stock O2 sensor then you have no choice but to use the stock O2.

The only reason you would want to install a wideband is if you are using a tuner or wideband monitoring device. And you would want to add an additional O2 bung, not remove any of your stock ones.

Do not hook up a wideband to you stock computer.

Not true. Many WBO2 controllers provide narrow band output so that you can replace the factory o2s. You can't just use the sensor however, you need the controller wired into the truck full time.

Check out PLX Devices, Innovative LM-1.

PLX is about $300 these days.

There isn't much reason to do this unless you are a DIY tuner or just want to know when you are leaning out under boost. There are cheaper methods, though (like a fuel pressure gauge).

Ok; lets continue this story...

What if I would like to add a WideBand sensor for specific AFR-monitoring.  I understooth I should be able to connect this to HP Tuners.

But how do I install that extra Sensor?  Is it just a matter of drilling an extra hole in the exhaust or what?

Most wideband sensors have a build in heating element; so that shouldn't be the problem; as a O2 sensor needs a specific temp. to work.

Thanks

Pascal

You'd need to drill a hole in the exhaust pipe and weld in an O2 sensor bung. The bungs ussually come with a cap, so you can install the sensor, use it, and uninstall (if your controller does not get hard wired into the truck).

Archived