The Best Oil Filter With Synthetic Oil????

rmcswain

There is a lot of knowlege and experience on this board. At the first oil change--3000 miles-- I plan on going with Mobil 1. Using Mobil 1, I was planning on 5000 to 6000 mile oil changes. What are the reccomendations on the Oil Filter of choice? Mobil 1? GM Filters? Valvoline Filters? K&N Filters? I have never used synthetic oil. What filter(s) do you highly reccomend? Thanks for you help and input. :D

I was looking into the same thing. Here's what my research found out.

Three of the top filters have slightly different characteristics. They are:

Mobile 1 (good filtration but somewhat restrictive)

Amsoil filter (high volume flow but not quite as good filtration)

K&N filter (also high volume but not as good in filtration)

The article went on to say that if you take your vehicle to the track or drive it hard then Amsoil and K&N would be good choices because oil is able to flow through the filter more easily. . If you drive it hard only occasionally then the Mobile 1 is better for your driving style.

Thanks Lee for the info. It seems Amsoil, K&N, Mobil 1, Purulator Pure One, AC Delco Ultraguard Gold, are the filters you read about on the net more than others. I believe some have posted that GM Filters and Mobil 1 have been a good combination for them. As stated earlier, I have not used synthetic oil and didn't know if some filters were better with synthetics. Maybe others who have used synthetics will share their experience. I believe you are correct on driving styles or habits need to determine which filter is best for each of us. Thanks again for the response. :cheers::D

I'm using both Mobil 1 oil and slightly oversized filter. :thumbs:

Justin :chevy:

Justin,

What are the details on the oversized Mobil 1 filter, is it the next size up from what Mobil 1 calls for on the SS??????? Do you know or remember the part number on the oversized Mobil 1 filter that you are using???? Any info would be helpful :thumbs: How many miles are you planning between oil changes with the M1 synthetic oil? Isn't the stock filter on the SS a Delco Duraguard?? Boy, I am full of ????????s aren't I?????? :jester:

Isn't the stock filter on the SS a Delco Duraguard?? Boy, I am full of ????????s aren't I?????? :jester:

The stock filter is an AC Delco, part number PF44. It is very small for an engine like the 6.0L. :shakehead: I just changed out the oil @1500 mile to Mobil 1, 5 weight. I used a K&N HP2006 for the replacement filter. I have very good luck with that combination in my 99 Silverado (>100K miles) and my 91 Ford Mustang. :thumbs:

The stock filter is an AC Delco, part number PF44. It is very small for an engine like the 6.0L. :shakehead: I just changed out the oil @1500 mile to Mobil 1, 5 weight. I used a K&N HP2006 for the replacement filter. I have very good luck with that combination in my 99 Silverado (>100K miles) and my 91 Ford Mustang. :thumbs:

Thanks Krambo, I really appreciate the info :cheers::D:thumbs: Sounds like a good combo to me :thumbs:

• 2 months later...

fm - maybe my opinion is a little skewed because I've used their products for so many years, but Amsoil has documented vehicles with them going over 400,000 miles and on the same oil to boot. Obviously with a better filtration system. Products that you can buy. I don't know of any vehicles making it that long on standard oil. Go to the website and read. There are differences in filtration products as well. Their standard filters are much better than the everyday Fram equivelent.

The synthetic oils just don't break down at the same rate as conventionals. With the way I drive my vehicles, that's what I want. I may not suffer an immediate failure from using conventional, but who knows how long my engine will last. It's piece of mind that you pay for if you are constantly abusing the vehicle you drive. If you don't drive like a mad man, tow, or whatever, then conventionals would be pretty close to equal. It's when the vehicle is put under constant stress that the synthetic is going to shine and the conventional could start to break down.

It's your choice - like I said - piece of mind. IMHO.

This post will give you the oversized Mobil filter #

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.ph...?showtopic=1411

If you go on Mobil's site and look at the ablications for their synthetic oil, they say it is only needed when the vehicle is driven on short trips. If you use your truck on trips where the oil gets up to temp, there is no need for the syn. They also say to change syn oil just as you would normal oil!

I don't care, I am sold on the syn oil. Mobil1 jet turbine oil has been around for many years and saves my butt every day!!

Chad

This post will give you the oversized Mobil filter #

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.ph...?showtopic=1411

If you go on Mobil's site and look at the ablications for their synthetic oil, they say it is only needed when the vehicle is driven on short trips. If you use your truck on trips where the oil gets up to temp, there is no need for the syn. They also say to change syn oil just as you would normal oil!

I don't care, I am sold on the syn oil. Mobil1 jet turbine oil has been around for many years and saves my butt every day!!

Chad

FalconPilot,

That is new info to me about Mobil 1 :crazy:

I converted all my motors to Amsoil synthetic 5w30 and filter(Thanks BenKey). I have not been using long enough to add a voice of experience really, but I have already noticed a difference in filtration - the amsoil filter has kept my oil cleaner longer than the Wix, Fram, Delco filters I have used before. I actually noticed the motor in my inboard boat ran smoother and turned higher RPMs instantly almost. Synthetics in general are gonna have higher tolerances to temperatures at both extremes, and stand up better to severe conditions.

If you do the math, sythetics don't really cost more if you compare a change of regular oil every 3K to a longer life synthetic that you run 10 or 12K or more (Amsoil recommends a 25K or 1 year drain interval).

You are also not sending as much money to the OPEC coffers by using USA synthetics...plus the tree huggers will appreciate fewer quarts of waste oil.

With Synthetics everyone wins!

I converted all my motors to Amsoil synthetic 5w30 and filter(Thanks BenKey). I have not been using long enough to add a voice of experience really, but I have already noticed a difference in filtration - the amsoil filter has kept my oil cleaner longer than the Wix, Fram, Delco filters I have used before. I actually noticed the motor in my inboard boat ran smoother and turned higher RPMs instantly almost. Synthetics in general are gonna have higher tolerances to temperatures at both extremes, and stand up better to severe conditions.

If you do the math, sythetics don't really cost more if you compare a change of regular oil every 3K to a longer life synthetic that you run 10 or 12K or more (Amsoil recommends a 25K or 1 year drain interval).

You are also not sending as much money to the OPEC coffers by using USA synthetics...plus the tree huggers will appreciate fewer quarts of waste oil.

With Synthetics everyone wins!

That's funny. I noticed an RPM difference in my outboard also. Only about 200 more, but still more nonetheless. You can only trim that thing out but so much. I also have noticed less smoke, especially during initial startup. It has never smoked very much, only about 4 years old, but still smokes less.

Thought about the double bypass filter at all?

Archived