super charger question

I know it may have been covered several times already, but in a few words can you answer this? I have heard good things about the Radix Supercharger, my question is this, what is so bad about the vortech ar any of the other brands?

thanks -C-

that's a rather general question... the main issue between a radix and a vortech is the low end torque difference. with a radix a stock or mild stall is fine. with a vortech you want at least 2600-3200 stall to make it all work well. for a better answer, you need to generalize the question a bit more.... :confused:

that's a rather general question... the main issue between a radix and a vortech is the low end torque difference. with a radix a stock or mild stall is fine. with a vortech you want at least 2600-3200 stall to make it all work well. for a better answer, you need to generalize the question a bit more.... :confused:

I have heard and read you guys talking that the radix is more streetable. while I dont want to do major mods, I would like some more power out of my truck, basically I want to know why it seems as though many of you go with the Radix as apposed to the other brands? it seems as thought the votech is cheeper from what I have seen. with me wanting to do a general bolt in and be done, which is the best way to go? I guess that is my question. Hope this helps.

the radix is a more complete kt, i dont feel like listing every thing it comes with but i know you dont need alot of other mods to have some signicant power increase but more mods will help i dont know from experience but i hope to change that by this summer

Yes, the Radix has the distinct advantage of being plug and play. All the parts needed are included and you don't need any other mods to enjoy a significant increase in power. No muss, no fuss. I have 32K supercharged miles on my SS, and the engine and transmission are holding up just fine (so far). The Radix does has it's limitations if you want to go a lot further up on the performance scale. But if you are pretty happy with what the perfomance range it delivers, and want daily driver reliability, then it is hard to beat.

The Radix is intercooled; not sure on the Vortech and it gets boost low in the RPM as opposed to the Vortech that is a centrifugal and takes a bit longer to spool up. That's the reason the higher stall was recommended for the Vortech.

Whipple is a good blower but not out of the box. It needs an intercooler and different tuning to be as good as the Radix. With larger injectors and a custom tune the Whipple is not bad.

Also, look into the turbos. They are getting great reviews. Bottom line though, the Radix is the most complete package on the market right now. You don't need anything else other than maybe a shift kit.

00z71sierra

I agree that the Radix is a simpler bolt on, but i disagree in some areas.

By the way, the vortech is also intercooled. Also you dont need to have a ton of mods to get a significant gain. I went from 15.2 (stock) to 13.69 (with the Vortech, and exhaust) in the quarter and then I added a shift kit and stall and went down to a 13.2. With just the blower and exhaust I had a plenty of power down low. In my opinion the vortech is just as streetable as the radix and has more potential.

If your only bolt on is going to be a blower, then I say go with the radix just because its an easier install, but if your not gonna be satisfied with high 13's (like 95% of us arent) then go with the Vortech.

OK, I wasn't 100% sure that the V was intercooled. I still believe that centrifugal needs some time to spool up (not talking turbo here) as opposed to Whipple or Radix. I looked at buying the Vortech when it first came out and I chose not to because #1 it wasn't intercooled at that time and #2 the rep at Vortech told me that boost really doesn't kick in until about 3 grand. My Whipple kicks in as soon as you step on the gas pedal (1 grand).

Didn't want to offend you. I have always heard that the Whipple is always better on the street but the Vortech will be much better in the upper RPM band which makes it much better on the track. Whipple does lack the intercooler though; I think everyone can agree on that.

00z71sierra

OK, I wasn't 100% sure that the V was intercooled.  I still believe that centrifugal needs some time to spool up (not talking turbo here) as opposed to Whipple or Radix.  I looked at buying the Vortech when it first came out and I chose not to because #1 it wasn't intercooled at that time and #2 the rep at Vortech told me that boost really doesn't kick in until about 3 grand.  My Whipple kicks in as soon as you step on the gas pedal (1 grand).

Didn't want to offend you.  I have always heard that the Whipple is always better on the street but the Vortech will be much better in the upper RPM band which makes it much better on the track.  Whipple does lack the intercooler though; I think everyone can agree on that.

00z71sierra

Its cool man, I wasn't offended at all. Just thought I would give my opinion. :thumbs:

I have a radix coming, and I chose it because there is "more room under the curve" and the power is everywhere in the RPM range. I don't plan on doing any other significant mods and did not want to use a stalll on my trans so the radix was the best choice for a complete package.

Centrifugal vs. Roots-type vs. turbo: Roots gets ~full boost from low rpm to shift, lots of torque from low rpm to shift, lots of power under the curve. Cent. gets full boost at shift, can make more power than roots-type, steeper power curve, less power under the curve. Turbo gets full boost a whatever rpm it is set up for and holds full boost through the shift, potential for more boost than either of the other two (and easier to change boost level), more power under the curve than cents, must have the right turbo for the application to avoid lag and/or power drop in upper rpms.

Big differences are: Turbos -- a lot more power available at the expense of forged bottom ends, more mods, more tuning, meth, etc., pick the right turbo, etc., boost only there past the "on" rpm; roots -- a lot more low end power at the expense of high end power, power potential, etc.; cent -- more potential top end power than roots at the expense of low end torque as compared to roots, but with instant boost at any rpm.

You can look at it from the point of view that cent s/cs try to get the best of both worlds and are to some degree successful, but end up with some of the negatives from both worlds as well.

Archived