what do you clean the windshield with???

fox_forma

I'm tryin to stay away from the rain X stuff. I had it on my stang and it was good but i didn;t care for it unless I was on the highway. As slower speeds it annoyed me. I'm just confused as to what would cause this to happen. I have used several different glass cleaners, one the detailers use near my place that they swear is great and it strips everything off the windshield. When you buy a new car/truck does the dealer possibly put some sort of coating on the windshield like a protectant or something. That is the only thing I can think of that would cause this to happen. Still unclear why the center of the windshield is perfectly clear when it rains. I'm almost tempted to drive gangsta style with my head postioned in the middle of the SS just so I can see. I guess when this downpoor stops I can try to clear it up some more and see what happens.

Oh and what washer fluid do you guys use, any speciffic one you like more that the others? Just for future refference. Thanks

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

I have to start this up again. It is raining like crazy here and has been all day. During the day lookin out my windshield isnt so bad but it still is crappy. I shot over to the dealer this morning to show them and all they had to say was " did you try new wipers?" I told them I have tried four different sets already and nothing clears it up. The service manager guy had one of their guys clean the windshield to see if it cleared up and it still didnt. I asked about a new windshield possibly and they told me no because it wasnt a major problem or defect, well it is when you drive at night and cant see sh!t. Anyway, I may just try the rain X deal again but anyone else have any ideas of how to solve this? Dead center is still perfectly clear but the driver and passenger side still has that film on it when the wipers go through the cycle. The dealer did tell me to try some paste stuff that you can get from the supermarket but apparently if it touches your paint it will strip it off, so thats pretty much out of the question.

anyone else have any ideas of how to solve this?

after all you have tryed and nothing has worked, i would just replace the windshield and be done with it. do you have glass coverage? just crack it put in a claim may not sound right to do, but if you can not SEE out it now your risk yourself and outhers around you...

just get it done...........

:seeya:

Years of detailing experience talking here:

1. wash the glass w/ regular dishsoap to get any existing product off the window.

2. pour a solution of 3/4 vinegar 1/4 DISTILLED water into a spray bottle

3. make sure the glass is cool... don't do this in direct sunlight

4. spray the solution generously on the window and wipe clean w/ a cotton towel (no paper towels or squeegees! :nono: )

5. use an acrylic based wax (zaino, der stuff, maguires NXT, etc.) and wax your glass like you would your paint. This will help fill low spots caused by scratches or bad water spots.

That should take care of your problem... if that doesn't work repeat the process, but try pure vinegar w/o the water.

AND IF THAT DOESN'T WORK YOU NEED TO BUY A NEW WINDSHIELD :banghead:

I have also used a light abrasive called Bon-ami. Right next to powder type cleansers like AJAX in the grocery store.

Anyway, watching numerous shows on how to detail your vehicle on TV, is where I first saw it used. You use it with a rag, not sponge. Has worked for me over the years. Does not scratch.

What have you tried so far?

I have also used a light abrasive called Bon-ami.  Right next to powder type cleansers like AJAX in the grocery store. 

Anyway, watching numerous shows on how to detail your vehicle on TV, is where I first saw it used.  You use it with a rag, not sponge.  Has worked for me over the years.  Does not scratch.

What have you tried so far?

Hey Benkey, that Bonami stuff is what the dealer told me to use but he said if it touches the paint it can cause a world of problems but I may just try it since someone else has actually used it. I have basically tried everything that has been mentioned in this post up to this point + some others that I just cant think of at the moment. Havent tried the acrylic based wax that dylan mentioned but did try everything else, rubbing alcohol, vinegar, dawn dish soap, numorous spray window cleaners, etc. Today its nice out so I am washing the beast again and I guess I will try that bonami stuff.

Hey dylan, if I use a acrylic base wax to fill the spots like you said, will it work for a while or is this something like everytime it rains it will wash away and I will be in the same situation again.

Should last you for awhile. Acrylic wax withstands heat, abrasion, and liquid better than anything else... you might also try claybaring it after the vinegar, but before the wax to make sure all the water deposits are off of the glass.

Let me know how it works out. :cheers:

Thanx dylan, I was goin to try and get this done today but I have came to the conclusion that I am way to hung over, I thought about doin the clay bar but do I need to use a spray or something on the windshield before the run the clay bar across it? I guess tomorrow or something i will get this situated, I also went and bought some of that bonami just as a last resort. If nothing works I hope I can get GM to replace my windshield. I'm amazed that this hasnt happened to anyone else.

Still one question has never been answered yet.... Why is the dead center of my windshield perfectly clear and not have this film when the wipers go on.

Also any preferences on what kind of wiper fluid to use? I have some stuff now which I have to mix myself seemsto be ok but just thought I would ask.

i would suggest the bon ami or soft scrub with a very wet rag and wet windsheild.if it gets on the paint it wont hurt it.put it on the rag,go in circular motion and rinse it.i do it all the time to many cars and truck with no problem.i personally finish it off with eagle one wax as you dry with chamois and micro fiber towel.my windows look transparent.thx..drew

Maybe you pissed someone off and they laced your wipers with some nasty stuff. I would guess the middle is clear because of the amount of times it gets run over ... both wipers ... both sides of the blades ... maybe the person you pissed off couldn't reach the center of your windshield with the nasty stuff.

Don't be scared of stuff that will damage your paint ... just be careful and diligent. Take your time and do it right and be done with it. IMO

BIG O

I looked up the bon ami stuff on the net and it is highly recommended to clean windshields that are described as having the same problems I have and said that it will not damage the paint as long as its wiped off. So it looks like I will do that tomorrow as well as a good washing so we will see what happens. I'll prob go buy new wiper blades again as well.

*Edit* Lookin some more on the net there is a bon ami glass cleaner also but I know that wasnt at the store. On the powder one that i picked up it says do not use on windows or mirrors. Is this the same stuff that was recommended? I believe the powder type is what I was being told to use :dunno:

Archived