what do you clean the windshield with???

fox_forma

ive heard of old timers pouring coca cola (coke) on there windshield to get haze and bugs off..... you probably will want to wash your sss after this..... its just a idea from the good ole foothills of west virginia, where the men are men and the sheep are scared :crackup::crackup:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, I used the powder stuff.  Looks like Ajax or Comet, just a finer powder.

Hey Ben, do you know which powder it is? I been looking up a ton of info about this stuff and how awesome it works but some people say not to use the Cleanser one, instead use the Cleaner. I have the Cleanser, only one I could find, some people say its fine and others say it can scratch the glass but it says "Hasn't Scratched Yet" on the container thing. People say stay away from calcium carbonate which the one I have says is in it but others people say its fine. Just seeing if you know exactly which one you used. Sorry to keep rambling on. Hope you can help :cheers:

I thought about doin the clay bar but do I need to use a spray or something on the windshield before the run the clay bar across it? 

Yes... claybars usually come w/ thier own brand of lubricant, but if it didn't you can make your own. Either water down a bottle of spray detailer (mostly water... little bit of detailer) or a mixture of regular armorall and water will do the trick. Basically just needs to serve as a surface lubricant so the clay doens't stick to the surface. :thumbs:

Hey Ben, do you know which powder it is?  I been looking up a ton of info about this stuff and how awesome it works but some people say not to use the Cleanser one, instead use the Cleaner.  I have the Cleanser, only one I could find, some people say its fine and others say it can scratch the glass but it says "Hasn't Scratched Yet" on the container thing.  People say stay away from calcium carbonate which the one I have says is in it but others people say its fine.  Just seeing if you know exactly which one you used.  Sorry to keep rambling on.  Hope you can help :cheers:

I have the cleanser and have used it many times. I wet down my windshield, wet my rag, and lightly (not really so lightly), wipe the windshield with it. Then rinse really good. Do it once real light, small amount. If that doesn't work, add some more, still light. If that doesn't work, small amount in one area, a little more pressure applied. Just progressively build without doing any scratching.

Never had to do it that way, so not so sure how that'll work.

Buy a can of Bon Ami or Barkeepers friend, don't use Comet though. Take a light action scrubber pad and wet it. Mist the windshield lightly with water in the shade, then put a ample amount of BKF or BonAmi on the windshield and scrub with moderate pressure in small circular motions. Rinse thoroughly when all scrubbed and clean with Invisible Glass. You can also use your clay bar on the windshield for extra fine results.

If you use this method, it will clean the surface entirely, and leave the glass totally unprotected, which is a good time to use the Zainos glass polish (smells like toothpaste!) which seals the surface and leaves a protective film to repel most bird and bug splatters.

The secret to a clean windshield is to keep up with it! Don't let it get nasty. After a trip on the road clean the bugs off as soon as possible to prevent the bug juices from etching the glass.

I keep a bug scrubber sponge and a can of Invisible Glass and a couple of small micro fiber towels in the truck. :thumbs:

Well i used the Bon Ami and I must say i'm am shocked at how well this stuff works. All the marks and haze that was on my truck when it rained is gone completely now. I wish i would of spent the 99 cents a while ago instead of tryin tons of other products to solve the problem. I will now have this stuff on my shelf from here on out. If anyone else has the problem I have been having go to your grocery store and buy this stuff, it will fix it. I can See Again :smash:

Well i used the Bon Ami and I must say i'm am shocked at how well this stuff works.  All the marks and haze that was on my truck when it rained is gone completely now.  I wish i would of spent the 99 cents a while ago instead of tryin tons of other products to solve the problem.  I will now have this stuff on my shelf from here on out.  If anyone else has the problem I have been having go to your grocery store and buy this stuff, it will fix it.  I can See Again :smash:

:thumbs:

Well MisterP.... it's really not that bad... but it can happen. The bird poo and bug guts will etch clear coat or paint, and most guys wax or coat their windshields with some product and the bug guts actually etch into this, requiring you to strip the windshield with BonAmi again.

The acids in the bugs guts are the culprit, just like the bird droppings and if left on the paint or glass for too long, they will damage the surface!

Another handy trick to prolong your windshield wipers is to take a small piece of 600 or finer sandpaper, fold it in half (rough sides together) then pinch it between your index finger and thumb and squeeze the rubber wiper blade and draw it down the full lenght a couple of times, the follow this up with denatured alcohol on a towel to clean it thoroughly.

It makes them like new again unless they are physically damaged!

Try it, what have you got to lose?

Well MisterP.... it's really not that bad... but it can happen. The bird poo and bug guts will etch clear coat or paint, and most guys wax or coat their windshields with some product and the bug guts actually etch into this, requiring you to strip the windshield with BonAmi again.

The acids in the bugs guts are the culprit, just like the bird droppings and if left on the paint or glass for too long, they will damage the surface!

Another handy trick to prolong your windshield wipers is to take a small piece of 600 or finer sandpaper, fold it in half (rough sides together) then pinch it between your index finger and thumb and squeeze the rubber wiper blade and draw it down the full lenght a couple of times, the follow this up with denatured alcohol on a towel to clean it thoroughly.

It makes them like new again unless they are physically damaged!

Try it, what have you got to lose?

All very true. It may be a pain to clean the windsheild but if you clean it often it will acutually save time because you dont have to scrub. Besides how in heck can anyone see thorugh all that bug $hit anyway.

I just assumed that glass was chemically inert, I understand what you are saying in that the amount of etching is light, was just surprised to hear it happened at all... learn something new every day!

Mr. P. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Stoner's Invisible Glass and Microfibre towels. It even gets rid of the gassing film from the plastic dash on the inside. It's the best thing I've ever used

I thought it was only available here in the Northeast, but the other day I saw it at AutoZone, so I guess it's nationwide.

I think I saw it at AutoGeeks too..its probably cheaper at A/Z.

I use stoner's too. i wash my truck and then just clean the windshield with the invisible glass and newspaper. works great. also, wet part of the towel with the spray and wipe your wiper blades real good. this helps alot.

Archived