SS, Lightning, Dodge SRT-10

Murtaza

201 members have voted

1. 1. SS, Lightning, Dodge SRT-10

• Chevrolet Silverado SS
    • Ford Lightning
    • Dodge SRT-10

Do you guys seriously think if someone liked the SRT-10 and wanted to buy it they would just say 'Oh well, there's 15,000 Silverado SS's I'll have a better chance at buying that?' JUST ANSWER THE POLL :P

Did I say that? No. What I said was that since only 2000 will be produced, only 2000 can be sold, so that will not allow them to sell more than a truck that has 15,000 copies. Its just simple math, not psycho-analyzing the american public.

-Joe

Fine, maybe I didn't make the poll clear enough.. "Which would sell more.. considering they all had the same amount of cars produced?"

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think its good for a company to have an "unobtainable." Something that is disgustingly fast and just a little bit out of reach of its average buyer. The SRT is a prime example. Who in their right mind could justify droppin 50k on a truck. I couldn't, but some people will cuz they like the iea of having the most testosterone on the asphalt. But to those that get a hard-on for these kinds of trucks they will flock into the showrooms to see this holy grail, once they're there it proves they have an interest in a truck, and the salesperson, if good, now has a chance to sell a few R/T's or that new SRT-8 that is a rumor (hemi-powered dakota for those who haven't heard, and the name IS reserved if dodge does it.) Its good business, unfortunately Chevy has missed the part of insane performance. If they would build a 3000 truck production, roughly one per every dealer, of Whippled 8.1s and shove them into ext. cab AWD trucks, you could sell all of the non-whippled 6.0 look alikes. Thats the way it needs to be....

-Joe

Good point! Having the "king of the hill" type always brings in people who realize they can't buy it, but hey, here's one I can buy and at least get in on the excitement, if not the performance. In this respect, Ford has it right on - they have done it right w/ the Lightning; whether you like Ford or not, you gotta respect what they've done with this truck!

As for why Chevy didn't jump on this concept, I think it's just too early to tell. GM has publicly stated they are coming out w/ variants on this model (of course, how long have we heard that! ) . You also gotta consider the amount of resources (specifically $$) available to do this - I'm betting the bean counters also canned the hi-po version.

BTW, PotbellyJoe, glad to have a Ford guy's more objective analysis here! :)

I think its good for a company to have an "unobtainable." Something that is disgustingly fast and just a little bit out of reach of its average buyer. The SRT is a prime example. Who in their right mind could justify droppin 50k on a truck. I couldn't, but some people will cuz they like the iea of having the most testosterone on the asphalt. But to those that get a hard-on for these kinds of trucks they will flock into the showrooms to see this holy grail, once they're there it proves they have an interest in a truck, and the salesperson, if good, now has a chance to sell a few R/T's or that new SRT-8 that is a rumor (hemi-powered dakota for those who haven't heard, and the name IS reserved if dodge does it.) Its good business, unfortunately Chevy has missed the part of insane performance. If they would build a 3000 truck production, roughly one per every dealer, of Whippled 8.1s and shove them into ext. cab AWD trucks, you could sell all of the non-whippled 6.0 look alikes. Thats the way it needs to be....

-Joe

Good point! Having the "king of the hill" type always brings in people who realize they can't buy it, but hey, here's one I can buy and at least get in on the excitement, if not the performance. In this respect, Ford has it right on - they have done it right w/ the Lightning; whether you like Ford or not, you gotta respect what they've done with this truck!

As for why Chevy didn't jump on this concept, I think it's just too early to tell. GM has publicly stated they are coming out w/ variants on this model (of course, how long have we heard that! ) . You also gotta consider the amount of resources (specifically $$) available to do this - I'm betting the bean counters also canned the hi-po version.

BTW, PotbellyJoe, glad to have a Ford guy's more objective analysis here! :)

Honestly, I hope Chevy does make some crzy fast truck that can compete with the L. I kinda wish Dodge made theirs cheaper. I think a little comp. is always healthy. However, I think Chevy understands that you can't make a truck the same way someone else does. Like I don't think they can make a superchargd v-8 from the factory with out taking alot of flack for not being original. Its almost unfortunate. However there are plenty of other ways to juice up a truck. I just hope that they give it a green light to go faster.

-Joe

i see it as apples and oranges.... the SS is a featured flagship to start something off on the right foot... now when it hits the showroom... dealer sales will tell if they shot them selves in the foot or if they are going to continue to climb back to the top of the mountain and claim the badas* truck award.... I would compair the SS to a HD Ford or the " minime " Hemmi Dodge... :blink:

I think that the Chevy ss will make a big comeback. not only is it extended cab but it has the high output 6.0 l in the powerplant. aftermarket is already creating superchargers for the 6.0l engine having claimed .more than 500 hp. now thats a statement as to the potential of that engine with only 8psi of boost. tweaking it up more will get better results. as for the lightning. its a nice truck but it has to get prepared to be surprised with the aftermarket. even the "fastest" production trucks stand far behind what the aftermarket has to offer.

That is true. A chip and filter will put a '01+ L in the 12's in good conditions. There are currently more Gen 2's in the 11's than I can count, and a few are in the 10's (best I think I have read about is a 10.62 on a truck that was only lightened a bit).

The SS will have a long way to go to get there. Remember that the '01+ L's, while rated at 380hp and 450lb ft of torque routinely dyno 355rwhp and 420rwtq. Thus they are rather underrated.

With its extra 600lbs and AWD parasitic loss, it's going to take alot more hp and torque than the Lightning makes stock to run the same times (AWD can make up for a little in 60ft times but notoriously make the vehicles have no top end....... look at stock Syclones/Typhoons).

Gen2 L's are MEAN, and it doesn't take much to make them even Meaner, you want 12's out of one its three words, "Filter, pulley, chip" boom you got 12s. Its a little more complicated for a truck like mine, but the 351 isn't t shabby to start with. Not that its impossible, but if someone gets a new one of these SS's to win the day against L's at the track, that would have to be one HE!! of a truck. More Power to you Though, nothin would be finer than to see a few 'Farm vehicles' line up at the end of the night.....

-Joe

I'm going to say SS not only because I like it but because of the features it has... AWD.. traction.. basically the things Lightning does't have... and you could always add a supercharger or a twin turbo then go racing a lightning :) that'd be sweeeet :P

Dude, this is the sport truck market.......not the workhorse market. People don't want all that extra weight (Ext. Cab and AWD) in their sport truck. The Dakota R/T will sell the most, then the Lightning, then the SS, and the SRT-10.

I think its good for a company to have an "unobtainable." Something that is disgustingly fast and just a little bit out of reach of its average buyer. The SRT is a prime example. Who in their right mind could justify droppin 50k on a truck.

-Joe

Show me a single source from DC that officials says the price of the SRT-10 is going to be $50K. Until you do then don't cite that price as a fact. It will not cost that much.

Sorry, the 50k came from an est. made by motortrend and roadandtrack. so i was stating it.  They have better sources than i do, so i'm sure its fairly accurate.  What is it with you R/T boys, flame and only flame.....

-Joe

Flame? Me? Hardly my boy.

I guess I could make a blanket statement about you L boys....

You all think your shit don't stink.

Archived