SS, Lightning, Dodge SRT-10

Murtaza

201 members have voted

1. 1. SS, Lightning, Dodge SRT-10

• Chevrolet Silverado SS
    • Ford Lightning
    • Dodge SRT-10

I think for someone to instantly appear on the scene and accuse me of being self-righteous is a little strange. I would hope that opinions i have had and offered on this board were relavent, and I know that none of the Chevy boys have found me offensive yet. So if you want to keep this up, thats fine, be childish, but I feel like you are wrecking the mood that this place has been trying to attain....

-Joe

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think its good for a company to have an "unobtainable." Something that is disgustingly fast and just a little bit out of reach of its average buyer. The SRT is a prime example. Who in their right mind could justify droppin 50k on a truck. I couldn't, but some people will cuz they like the iea of having the most testosterone on the asphalt. But to those that get a hard-on for these kinds of trucks they will flock into the showrooms to see this holy grail, once they're there it proves they have an interest in a truck, and the salesperson, if good, now has a chance to sell a few R/T's or that new SRT-8 that is a rumor (hemi-powered dakota for those who haven't heard, and the name IS reserved if dodge does it.) Its good business, unfortunately Chevy has missed the part of insane performance. If they would build a 3000 truck production, roughly one per every dealer, of Whippled 8.1s and shove them into ext. cab AWD trucks, you could sell all of the non-whippled 6.0 look alikes. Thats the way it needs to be....

-Joe

Good point! Having the "king of the hill" type always brings in people who realize they can't buy it, but hey, here's one I can buy and at least get in on the excitement, if not the performance. In this respect, Ford has it right on - they have done it right w/ the Lightning; whether you like Ford or not, you gotta respect what they've done with this truck!

As for why Chevy didn't jump on this concept, I think it's just too early to tell. GM has publicly stated they are coming out w/ variants on this model (of course, how long have we heard that! ) . You also gotta consider the amount of resources (specifically $$) available to do this - I'm betting the bean counters also canned the hi-po version.

BTW, PotbellyJoe, glad to have a Ford guy's more objective analysis here! :)

Honestly, I hope Chevy does make some crzy fast truck that can compete with the L. I kinda wish Dodge made theirs cheaper. I think a little comp. is always healthy. However, I think Chevy understands that you can't make a truck the same way someone else does. Like I don't think they can make a superchargd v-8 from the factory with out taking alot of flack for not being original. Its almost unfortunate. However there are plenty of other ways to juice up a truck. I just hope that they give it a green light to go faster.

-Joe

Been meaning to follow-up on this last comment about GM not wanting to "copycat" the way Ford has done it w/ the Lightning.

It could also be that they may be waiting for some new engine technology,

possibly GenIV LS, or who knows what else, rather than just slap an S/C on the existing engine. Anybody look at some of their new technology press releases?

I mean, really, if they're talking plopping a 500 hp+ V-12 engine into a production vehicle, then I see no reason why they couldn't be working on something pretty exotic, in terms of performance numbers for the bad boy truck (not to mention the C6) - maybe something that will make the SRT boys @ DC bug-eyed!!

:o :o

I agree GM has dangled the carrot too many times, then jerked it back, but I wouldn't be too surprised to hear in 1-2 yrs about a few big surprises. B)

• 4 weeks later...

You forgot the Harley F-150. I also have one of these trucks in addition to my Chevy. This truck has everything the SS does and more (with the exception of the AWD).

Chevy claims they are the first to target this market, while in reality the Harley Davidson Edition F-150 has been doing it since 1999. That truck is the SS's main competition IMO. And on a side note will more than likely be able to edge out the SS in Quarter Mile performance. :ph34r:

You forgot the Harley F-150. I also have one of these trucks in addition to my Chevy. This truck has everything the SS does and more (with the exception of the AWD).

Chevy claims they are the first to target this market, while in reality the Harley Davidson Edition F-150 has been doing it since 1999. That truck is the SS's main competition IMO. And on a side note will more than likely be able to edge out the SS in Quarter Mile performance. :ph34r:

i agree with the market being more geared towards the harley. I think many people would be able to agree with you on this one also. The only thing is that until this truck (SSS)runs the 1/4 we really won't know what it can do, and heck, with what some posters have hinted is that chevy may not be entirely done on this truck. new tweeks may still be added. I think that the 345 bhp, if thats what does make it to production, would be able to take a pre-S/C-ed HD F-150, 2000 and earlier, but the ones with the 340 hp on two wheel drive would be a call i'm not willing to make until i see it. Cuz you gotta figure its a crew cab, not just an extended....

-Joe

Well beating the pre-blown Harley trucks isnt saying much since from 99-01 they were just the standard ford 5.8Liter Engine. Anyway I had a 99 and traded it for the 02, and its a mover. We'll see for sure when they come out, but i'm willing to wager the HD will take out the SS. It doesnt really matter, the point I was making is Chevy is claiming to be the first to target this market and they are DEAD wrong. :ph34r:

Why do you all keep comparing the SS to the Dodge SRT-10? The SRT-10 has no competition in the light duty truck market, not in power or price. I'm sure if GM wanted to sell a $50,000 truck it could make one as fast as a SRT-10 too.

It also isn't fair to pit a Lightning against a SS. The Lightning has a intercooled supercharger to help it. If you strap a factory supercharger on an SS then you can compare.

The stock 5.7L V8 Hemi on the new Ram is putting out 345hp and weighs about the same as the SS will. The advantage for the Dodge is it only has one differential, and no t-case to spin! The SS is full time AWD. So, think about it: same horsepower, same weight, and only RWD. I think the 5.7L V8 Hemi Dodge will clean the clock of any SS driver on the street.

The way I see it, the Ram vs. SS will be the good street race.

It also isn't fair to pit a Lightning against a SS. The Lightning has a intercooled supercharger to help it. If you strap a factory supercharger on an SS then you can compare.

Fact is that people will compare them, its gonna happen, whether its a Harley Davidson Ford or an L, but when the Sport truck title gets thrown around these are the argruments you will hear. Frankly the L and HD Fords are prolly the closest comparison, simply because they are similar in price. The SRT-10 is still a pipedream at this point, yes it will prolly see production, but to use Clintonian-Logic, "That depends on what your definition of what production is." And as I've said before, I could much better things with $50K at my disposal.....

-Joe

All i'm saying is that the market the SS is targeting is the market that the HD owns right now. They are comparable in price and in power. The HD has a much more luxurious interrior and more bells and whistles, it just doesnt have AWD. Personally I think thats the best truck to compare to the SS.

In truth, I belive the truck Chevy is comming out with should not be called the SS. The name SS used to indicate industry leading power and performance. To attach the SS name to a truck that cant even BEGIN to compete with the Lightning and the SRT-10 (which will see production, there is no question here, there may not be many, but the'll be there), is to say the least a dissapointment. Please dont get me wrong here, I'm a chevy guy (I just love Harleys thats why I have the HD F-150). I'm not trying to rag on Chevy, I'm just saying that lately theve been whoring out the SS name to things like a V6 Monte Carlo, even the SS Impalas are a joke. I'm a young guy, but my dad and my uncles tell me stories all the time about the glory days of automobiles when SS meant POWER. With the retireing of the Camaro SS, the name SS is left to be defended by V6 cars and Extened Cab trucks.

The new Hemi Ram's which can now be ordered by any Dodge dealer in ANY truck just hit the market. The 5.3 SCSB is rumored by GMHTP (a very reliable soruce) to be able to outrun the SS. I mean standard production trucks here with nothing special on them are going to be outrunning GM's "sport truck." Hell, one of them is even one of their own.

I'm trying to say this, if you dont want to be compared to the other sport trucks out there, Lightning, SRT-10, even the HD, then leave the SS name off the truck. If you put it there thats the level of competition you have placed yourself on, and lets face it with the Lightning and SRT-10 the SS is WAY out of its league.

Once again I love Chevy, I love the truck its beautiful, but it should have been SE (Special Eddition) not SS.

Just my opnion.

Most of us are not comparing the SS to the Lightning or the SRT. Those of us who pay attention know that GM said this truck was not meant to be a Lightning Killer. They should not have to leave the SS name off the truck since they simply stated THE SS IS NOT AIMED AT THE LIGHTNINGS! If they come out and say we have just built the Lightning killer and they come with nothing then you have clout. This truck is the SS so why dont we just deal with it? I have. I do respect your opinion and thank god it was not full of bitching and moaning. Your post was a step in the right direction. A step away from all the crying.

I know Chevy has made it clear that the SS is not to be a Lighting killer. Thank you for respecting my opnion and forumlating an intellegent response.

I know its going to be the SS, and I have accepted it, but that does not mean I think it was the right idea. I belive the concept SS SCSB was the correct way to go. And while you and I and everyone else on this board know that the SS was not meant to be compared to the lighting, every article on the truck I have read makes the comparison. Every preview of the truck makes the comparison. The point i'm making is simply that while we know this and we dont compare them, the reast of the automobile industry will, and for that matter already has. And the reason is because the SS badge while it is represented by some lackluster performing family grocery getters sitll indicates a vehicle designed for power and prestige. While the Silverado SS certinly has prestige, it is lacking in the power.

Anyway, like I said, thanks for the well thought out response. I understand and agree with your point that we have to accept it. However, while I realize this is the SS were going to see, I still feel that it is not all it could have been, and therefore shouldnt carry a badge that indicates to the automotive world that it is.

I realize that the SS is not intended to be a “Lightning killer”. But as we have all seen in the magazines before, when there is a Chevy vs. Ford battle the magazine folks can’t wait to get there hands on them! How many years have we all read about Camaro vs. Mustang?

I also think we forgot (myself included) that the SS is not always a “performance” nameplate. In 1966 (or 1967 I forgot) you could get a Chevy II SS with an inline 6 cyl. It had the nameplates, badges, and the cool seats but that’s about it. I guess that’s what GM is doing here. I would rather see a 500hp beast with a $23,000 price tag but that a bit unrealistic.

I guess the bottom line is this: The SS will sell good to a nitch market. It will not by any stretch be the “king of the trucks” on the street but it will still be a good entry-level competitor for the light duty truck market. But I will say that when I blow one away in my 03.5 light duty 5.7 Hemi Dodge, I won’t feel too bad about it.

Archived