201 members have voted

1. 1. SS, Lightning, Dodge SRT-10

• Chevrolet Silverado SS
    • Ford Lightning
    • Dodge SRT-10

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Demon, Well thought out responses! I enjoy the intelligence in this thread. The funny thinks is that since we know the SS was not meant to be lightning killer, the damn Mustang and Fast Ford magazine and every other magazine will pit the two against each other just to make all us Chevy guys cringe. What will be the point in reading that article?

The first article they have of it once its in true production will be against a HD F-150. But have no fear you Chevy boys they are enough subjective catagories to make sure they can allow the advertising money to decide who wins.

Plus they already have stated one of their favorite trucks to ever drive and use was the C3 cousin of the SS, so i think it will get good reviews. Although they did say something to the effect of: the C3 is definately not a street racer with its 8.3 to 60 but it sharp handling and non-jarring ride make up for almost any short coming. I have to find theactual review...

-Joe

The problem is this........

Chevrolet has been teasing us with concept versions of the SS that everyone LOVED, then they make a couple minor changes to a C3 and slap some plastic and SS badges on it and cram, it down our throats.

At least thats my opinion anyway.

Had they built either the original 6.0 liter or the 8.1 I'd be happy as a clam because they were sporttrucks, this behemoth is a SUV.

RF

they make a couple minor changes to a C3 and slap some plastic and SS badges on it and cram, it down our throats.

Well really, there not cramming it down our throats. If you dont like it then dont buy it. I'm with you man, the truck dissapoints me and I dont think it deserves the SS badge. Ive said my peice about it and now i'm gonna just leave it be. Hopefully Chevy will listen to the voices of its die-hard fans and come up with a truck more worthy of the SS badge.

I dont like it, so I bought a 4.8 SCSB that with a $400 programer can eat the SS up. Just be patient, if everyone carries the same opnion that the truck is over priced and under powered, then sales will reflect that, in which case Chevy will be that much more likely to improve upon the SS in the comming years.

However, if sales soar and the truck is a success, we may never see the concept that we love so much, in this case then Chevy hit their mark and we can all say congrats, and buy ourselves Hemi Ram's or 5.3 SCSB's and beat the SS's up and down the strip.

(by we I dont include me because I have the truck I want, and it will be killing Lightnings within the year.) :ph34r::ph34r:

• 1 month later...
I'm going to say SS not only because I like it but because of the features it has... AWD.. traction.. basically the things Lightning does't have... and you could always add a supercharger or a twin turbo then go racing a lightning :) that'd be sweeeet  :P

Dude, this is the sport truck market.......not the workhorse market. People don't want all that extra weight (Ext. Cab and AWD) in their sport truck. The Dakota R/T will sell the most, then the Lightning, then the SS, and the SRT-10.

DUDE THE POINT IS THAT YOU ARE TO BROKE TO BUY A FULL SIZE TRUCK R/T ARE JUST SOMETHING I COULD CARRY IN MY WALLET. WHAT

• 4 weeks later...
You forgot the Harley F-150.  I also have one of these trucks in addition to my Chevy.  This truck has everything the SS does and more (with the exception of the AWD).

Chevy claims they are the first to target this market, while in reality the Harley Davidson Edition F-150 has been doing it since 1999.  That truck is the SS's main competition IMO.  And on a side note will more than likely be able to edge out the SS in Quarter Mile performance. :ph34r:

The Ford 150 HD truck is very nice. In fact I would buy one BUT it lacks two very important things that the SS has. A real towing capacity and AWD.

I am not a Chevy, Dodge or Ford man. In fact I drive a Ford truck now. But I honestly think the SS is on track. Why build a truck that every one has? RWD and 5000lbs or less tow rating.

AWD or 4x4 and a decent tow rating would be real nice. No let me rephrase that, they are a must!

I am a Sports car guy that would love to tow his race car to the track in a Sports truck, go figure. I am also guy that would love to be able to drive back up the wet and slippery boat ramp after a nice day of fishing. Is that too much to ask?

The closest to the SS is the 1500 Hemi in my opinion.

:thumbs:

Harry

• 3 weeks later...
You forgot the Harley F-150.  I also have one of these trucks in addition to my Chevy.  This truck has everything the SS does and more (with the exception of the AWD).

Chevy claims they are the first to target this market, while in reality the Harley Davidson Edition F-150 has been doing it since 1999.  That truck is the SS's main competition IMO.  And on a side note will more than likely be able to edge out the SS in Quarter Mile performance. :ph34r:

The Ford 150 HD truck is very nice. In fact I would buy one BUT it lacks two very important things that the SS has. A real towing capacity and AWD.

I am not a Chevy, Dodge or Ford man. In fact I drive a Ford truck now. But I honestly think the SS is on track. Why build a truck that every one has? RWD and 5000lbs or less tow rating.

AWD or 4x4 and a decent tow rating would be real nice. No let me rephrase that, they are a must!

I am a Sports car guy that would love to tow his race car to the track in a Sports truck, go figure. I am also guy that would love to be able to drive back up the wet and slippery boat ramp after a nice day of fishing. Is that too much to ask?

The closest to the SS is the 1500 Hemi in my opinion.

:thumbs:

Harry

Very true.

The SS is a nice ass truck to tow your race car to the track with. I guess the big problem is thats a pretty steep investment for a tow pig. I mean you can just pick up a slightly used 3/4 ton truck for all your hauling needs for much less than the SS. I guess I assumed that most of the people who buy "sport trucks" arent looking to use them to tow.

Good point though, I handnt really considered that about the towing, however the AWD is a system that is wasted on the SS IMO. It doesnt make enough power to make traction that difficult of a problem, in other words it cant take full advantage of its AWD system, a simple strong rear end with a good posi carrier would be more than enough to motivate the truck down the track or street and would be much lighter.

Just my opnion, but you have rasied a good point. :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

You know guys, I've been following what's being said in this thread and I feel that I've got something to say. I'm just a Northern Canadian guy who is a serious muscle car nut. I own a '68 Firebird with about 400 hp. I get a real kick out of driving it. It's a lot of fun. There are a lot of guys here with 420, 450, 500 and above hp of every shape and size. I don't feel ashamed or embarrassed when one pulls up beside me. Why should I. There's nothing wrong with my Bird. It's got all the horsepower I need. I don't feel like I have to have the biggest most powerful piece of metal on the road. I'm not going to run home and hide my car in a garage just because some guy out there has a mopar with 500hp and can blow my doors off.

I was in a motorcycle accident a couple of years ago and can't get in or out of a muscle car anymore because of my injuries so I have just purchased a blue SS. I think it is perfect for what I'm looking for. It's essentially a corvette with a trailer hitch. It's got 345hp, high performance suspension and very trick fat rims and wheels. It's also very easy to get in and out of and has all the comfort and convience of a luxury Silverado ext. cab. For good measure, a 6.5 ft trunk and a trailer hitch. I can't wait for the snow to leave so I can drive it.

I guess, listening to a few guys in this forum, I'm supposed to feel ashamed and embarrassed to drive this truck because Ford and Dodge are producing lighter, faster, more powerful trucks. If I wanted the biggest baddest truck on the market, I would buy it. If a Lightning pulls up beside me, I'm not going to run home and hide.

I think GM made this truck for guys like me. Guys who like a powerful truck with great handling and long distance touring comfort. This truck is a practical piece of metal. Not everyone who purchases an SS will want to go out and search for lightnings or HD's to race. Not that there's anything wrong with that. All I know is that there is gonna come a time soon when I'm cruising down a nice road with 345 hp at my disposal and Led Zeppeling in the deck and the last thing I will be thinking about is what Ford and Dodge guys are saying about my blue truck.

By the way, I paid $50,000 + taxes Canadian for my truck.....not bad....you do the $US conversion.

Sorry for the novel. I wish everyone the best of luck with their new trucks.....whatever the make or model........Thanks for your time

I purchased my SS in hopes of being different than everyone else, AWD. and ext. cab. I will be using this truck as a daily driver 20000 miles a year, and living in michigan awd is a must to someone who does a lot of snowmobiling. I could have got sucked into the diesel market which has gotten out of control around here, but I rather be different.

It may be possible that chevrolet is just borrowing the Caddy drivetrain for the first year to see how sales go, as Caddy did for the first year of the Escalade. Borrowed from the Tahoe and Yukon. I think that if sales go well we will see a supercharged or hopefully a turbocharged SS like the syclone. And if you really need to go fast buy a muscle car not a truck.

The SS is just the practical way for me to go.

just my thoughts :cheers:

Couldn't agree more digger, besides, speeding tickets = very high insurance!! I guess we bought our SS's for basically the same reason, except I won't be driving mine up here in the winter. The MTO just loves to salt the highways. It's unreal, and for the last 3 or so years, they have been using a new salt emulsion that is about 4 times more corrosive than regular salt!!

By the way, how's the snowmobiling season goin' down there in Michigan. We've had snow on the ground here in Northeastern Ontario since Oct 20th. That's complete ground coverage!! Probably 1 month more or so to go until I get my baby out.

You know, I don't think I'll run into a Lightning around here anyway. I hear only super high volume dealerships get one and our Ford dealerships up here aren't! There's a few HD's up here. Really nice machines! Most of the HD owners here aren't cruising the strip lookin' for street drags. I think they're like me, older and calmer.

Good luck with yer SS, digger

Cheez and Digger, you two are specifically what this truck was put out on the market for. I believe Chevy will introduce what the sport truck enthusiasts want, a reg. cab SS. But right now they are going the practical way which is what the majority of trucks out on the road are for. They know what they are doing. This truck is 40k, believe me only practical people with money can afford this truck. The price tag explains it all. Time and time again it has been said it is not meant to be a lightning killer. Now go out and spend some big bucks on this truck and maybe you can run with them lightnings but from what we hear from most people who are buying this truck is I am not going to chase lightnings around. WE all know lightnings are bad arse trucks. I dont like furds one bit but hey it is a bad arse truck. I will be a hopeful and wait for a reg cab SS cause lord knows I cant afford this one. Thsi is one hell of a truck though and I cant wait to start seeing them daily on the roads! Happy Driving SS owners! :cheers::chevy::jester::D:cheers:

Archived