What To do,

6.0ss

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been riding street bikes since i turned 16 and love them but i sold my bike last year because i saw a few of my friends almost not make it after an accident. I was very unhappy with selling it but now it doesn;t bother me at all since i still ride dirt bikes. If you have the urge to be on two wheels and have a good time move to the dirt and its just a good time as any. Good choice on selling the bike, it will work out in the long run anyway.

It's really late, and I had written a half-dozen paragraphs explaining my personal philosophy. But I deleted it, because it was getting long in answering your question. So this is shorter now, and I know I might sound like a prick on this one, but here it is: I am not going to try and tell you what to do, but I will share with you a similar situation from my past and the decision I made and why.

This challenge goes a lot deeper than it appears - it is a test, of your integrity. Your father, in so many words, has just asked you "What's more important to you - your *possible* future here (on his terms, I might add), or your own integrity (being true to yourself)?"

I understand your predicament all too well. My father and I run a small software shop, now in our 18th year. There was a 6-year break in the relationship when I decided to marry my now ex-wife and he withdrew his involvement from my life - he went his way, I went mine (ok, fine, I can admit now that he knew better about her :P ) and today we are back working together in the last few years. So I know very well the power plays in the family business situation. It is such a hard spot to suffer because the world is filled with good jobs, but you only have one dad.

Maybe I'm too hard-headed for my own good, but I do not deal well with those who negotiate via force. What I did - I did not give up an inch of ground. I told my father point blank that I resented his abuse of position in forcing me to choose between sacrificing either my future and position in the family or my own personal integrity. I also added, "What I think is what I say is what I do." I informed him that I was going to do what I felt I had to do (for myself) and I would not think badly of him if he did the same. And so I married my wife, and we drifted apart ...rather quickly.

I believe that the only one thing you take to the grave with you is your integrity. No one can take "who and what you are" from you - but you CAN give it away. My opinion is that one should not do anything that they know they will later resent.

Mr. P. :)

edit - you might be tempted into thinking "it's just a bike, it's not that big of a deal"; to which I reply, if it wasn't that important to you, you'd have gotten rid of it by now. Which also implies that if you do get rid of it you are really going to resent doing so sooner or later - like it or not it's probably a big part of your identity.

I agree with ArrivalSS you should sell the bike for now, This is quite an opportunity and it is something you don't want to pass up over something as small as not having a bike for a relitivly short amount of time. The benifits of that decision will definitly outweigh the downsides.

Wow... I think you should ask yourself what's important to you. I ride, I've got 3 bikes and one I'm building.

You're lucky, you still have your parents, mine are gone... however my family would never ask me to give up my passion, and I would never make them choose between me or what they enjoy. Life is short, if your passion for bikes doesn't distract you from your assignments in your company I don't see a problem. Life is not promised if you don't ride... enjoy life and your family. Talk to your family about your decision.

Archived