What To do,

6.0ss

Hey folks.

This week I have started a new job in the family business. I represent the 4th generation of ownership in our family company when my time comes for my dad to retire.

Here is the delema, Dad sits me down in the office this afternoon before I head out to work on some TV panels for guys on the board here and says, Good job this week. I hope you enjoyed everything. Then he says, If you want to continue working here you must get rid of your motorcycle!!! :confused:

I stood there for a second thinking about what he had just asked me to do,,,, Sell my motorcycle! Now I have to admit, I love riding my bike, I mean love it, I have had my Honda VTR1000 for one season and have been so excited to go back out and ride that I have been wearing my helmet around the house here in the winter!! LOL.

So how can I get around this???

I want to keep my Bike,

I don't want him to control my life or my choices.

But he is in a position to do so and will not budge on this issue!!!

This is the only thing he has ever asked me to do since I moved out of the house 7 years ago!!!

I guess, just throw out your thoughts, but I think I will be selling the bike because I can't pass up this opportunity, nor would I want to!

652077_24_full.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My father lost a good college friend to a bike crash and my mother can't stand that I have it because she thinks I will die on it at a young age if I ride a bike!

My stance on it is, Life is short, enjoy it while you can as we all know from this past month with Jeff.

i'm deffinitly on the life is short play hard idea, but i can also understand your dad's point. it sounds as if he's honestly worried about you and probably figured that this would be a good enough bribe to get you to get rid of the bike. personally i'd say see ya to the bike. for me it would be for the business end of it, but rather important is peace of mind for your dad. if that's all it takes to make your mother and father who are going to hand over the family business to you happy, go for it. you are certaily aware of the jeff incident in that anything can happen at any time. your parents sounds like they just want to make sure you're still around when they are gone and it appears they are most worried about this. there are plenty of other things that will make you happy besides the bike i'm sure...

Im gonna have to agree with zippy on this one. Especially since your dad lost a good friend to a bike crash. He probably thinks about you crashing everytime he se's a bike. Think of what's more important also. A career or a bike.

Sounds like it's out of love, caring, and concern, not a desire to control you. Sometimes it's okay to give something up, if that means the people we care about are better able to sleep at night. In this situation it may be worth the sacrifice.

i agree. get rid of the bike buddy. you shouldnt loose too much sleep over it. with time it, it will diminish and you will be ok. time heals everything. and just think, with the money you get out of that bike, you can buy some sort of FI for your SS. its a win win situation. oh, and another win, you will have a steady career.

Joe,

Sell the bike you can always revisit after a few years.

Keep your helmet handy and if you have the urge, rent a bike

on the weekend, or track days/riding schools.

I think you're Dad is looking out for your and his best interests.

Brian

Ive raced motocross for 14 years.....Ive grown up on a motorcycle, I feel more comfortable on a bike than I do walking it seems like....Ive never at any time in my life NOT had a bike.....Whatever works best for you, but life is very short......you can get hurt riding a bike, or get hit by a car walking across the street.....whatever makes you happy

jk

Archived