Lower Thermostat

Krambo

Question: How will the computer react to a colder thermostat?,...say 180 and 160 degrees. :confused: Back in the days of "dumb" computer EFIs, a change to a colder thermostat was a simple bolt on for a small increase in power and a much cooler engine. Not sure how the SS's computer will react? Every bit helps and for a cost around $10, it seems like a good idea.

the thermostat is far more than 10 bucks.

:nono: The price quote is based on a stock replacement thermostat without the gasket or housing. Yes SLP and HYPERTECH both have either a 160 or 180 degree thermostat package (performance thermo, gasket, hose clamps, housing) for our engines for around $50.00.

My fuel mileage went down by 2MPG in my 99 5.3L by using a 160.

Topics I would like to see discussed are

1. 160 or 180?

2. Proven to reduce detonation.

3. Will it hurt the engine to not to hit operating temp in winter.

4. Loss of cab heat in the winter.

The stock LS1 based thermostat can be modified to a lower setting for free. Disassembly is quite staightforward: Simply compress the spring and retainer while twisting it out of the two housing posts. You can twist either by hand or with a pair of Channelocks. It's a good idea to keep your hands on it as once the retainer is loose, the spring will do it's best to scatter parts all over the room. With the unit disasembled, note the recessed area inside the housing where the piston seats: this is where the wax motor is located. By placing a BB here for a fixed temperature or something else like a 1/8" brass ferule that can be filed down, you can adjust the thermostat to any temperature you desire. Just make sure it fits loose in the housing to allow for heat expansion. A spacer of approximately .090-inch thickness makes for a thermostat opening temperature of about 168 degrees. This is about the minimum temperature that will allow the stock thermostat to close completely. If your truck doesn't respond well to the change you can allways change back to stock or another setting.

Bear: 01"Pewter"C3

• 2 weeks later...
Topics I would like to see discussed are

1. 160 or 180?

2. Proven to reduce detonation.

3. Will it hurt the engine to not to hit operating temp in winter.

4. Loss of cab heat in the winter.

1. In my S-10, a 160 with hypertech

2. have not had a problem in the S-10

3. As long as the oil gets above 212 deg F, no engine damage. The oil must get hot enough, long enough to boil off the condensation in the case.

4. Made great heat in a North Dakota winter! (my wife is from there and we get out there all the time) Can't wait to tear up the farm with the SS!!

Anyone tried it on the SS??

Archived