Wrecked the SS tonight

woodwardspecialties

im fine... i wasnt going all that fast... didnt hurt any of the structure of the truck... i really would have been pissed if it hurt the hood or lights or something...

i know the bumper panel etc is going to be pricey... but luckily a buddy of mine runs a body shop... and he has the extra paint from painting my cowl hood... ill have it in there this weekend getting fixed up hopefully...

unfortunaly i have to cruise around with it all banged up in the frt. for a few days.

Hey woodwardspecialties,

Sorry to hear about the damage, but maybe this can work out for you. If your bud can give you a quote and you and him could fix it for just cost, you could have some extra cash to use for mods and stuff. My mother-in laws man did this. He builds all types of hot rods so he got the check and fixed it himself. The deer didn't cause a ton of damage but he walked away with around $1K after he paid for the parts and fixed it himself. At least you got to see what caused your damage. My SS got a nice scuff mark from a unknown golfer. They must have hit a really really bad shot to ding my truck. Then they didn't have the balls to say anything to the people in the club house :banghead: Good luck with the repair.

the computers and sensors that control airbags are very smart... they have all kinds of situations where they will and wont deploy.. i dont know the specifics... but its somthing like if the impact is at 25+ and you stop immediatly they deploy... but this stop was gradual... well.. .at least it wasnt like slamming a brick wall... i was prolly at about 25 mph when i actually hit the deer.. and stopped a few feet after. those air bags can be smart sometimes.

\

Shouldn't the airbags have deployed from the impact?

You have to hit something alot harder then a deer to make the air bads go off

Hey,

Sorry to hear about your truck. Sounds like it will be beautiful again soon. A friend of mine hit a deer last spring. The head of the deer got caught in the wheel well. :lol: The dam antlers screwed up the tire and a lot of the wheel well. So it happens a lot. His tahoe was ok in the end though. Good luck with the repairs man. Your truck will look better than before after its done in the body shop.

Louis

:chevy:

did you keep the dear to eat him :devil:

My brother hit a dear w/ his 96 SS and the next day his bank sent him checks with dear pic's on them :D

and we teased him about not bringing home the body :chevy:

Hope you get your truck back asap

:driving:

it jumped off a sidewalk and dead dmack in the front of my truck.... i

Was the deer taking a stroll through the town on the sidewalk? :crackup: Seriously though, that does suck and sorry to hear it happened. I hit one in WV before I even put my License plates on mine. $1600 worth of damage.

it was on the inner edge of a sidewalk that runs next to a public park... it saw me comming and wanted a closer view of the SS i guess!

well.. it got about as close as possible!.

anyway.. good news... Allstate insurance is awsome... i put in a claim today at about 1 pm... by 3:30 i went to the allstate place and they did the estimate... and cut me a check on the spot.

$890.95 ... thats after my $100 deductible.

that is to replace my bumper cover, right side air duct, and lower grill.

and paint and install time.

not bad... but i was really surprised at the price of the scoop.. thats rediculous.

each scoop is $118.05

the lower grill is $ 70.46

and the bumper is $400.79

this is retail.. luckily i can get the parts at dealer cost cause my dad owns a service station, and my buddie can paint it... we have paint left from my cowl hood.... so all i have to do is get the parts and buy him a case of beer and im set. works out good ... .i guess.

You might want to check and see if the brackets that hold the grille and headlights in is not damaged. Also there is a filler piece that connects to the headlight bracket that fills the gap between the bumper and headlight/front quarter panel. This filler piece was left off my original estimate and the body shop did their own engineering to make the broke piece fit again. I did not find this out until I took the grille out to replace the Headlight bracket the second time.

Archived