Need some serious help in Torque Conveter decision

I have been contemplating about putting a torque converter into my truck.

I have read just about every post in here about converters, and I am still unsure on what would be the best converter for my truck needs, or even if I should stick with the stock converter. I have heard so many people say go with a 3000 stall converter, but thier trucks are 2WD and do not tow anything.

I have been thinking of getting a Yank or Precision Industries converter

Can anyone help me answer a few more torque converter questions to help me decide what to do????

First is my vehicle info:

'03 Silverado 1500

Ext. Cab Long Bed

4X4

5.3L

4L60E tranny

3.73 gears

Mods:

K&N FIPK Gen II

PCMforLess 91 octane tune

Magnaflow muffler

Future mods:

E-Fans

Cam

E-water pump

shift kit and billet servo

Vehilce Usage:

Daily Driver

will occasionally tow a small aluminum fishing boat in the future (16' - 18' aluminum Bass Tracker type boat) Or tow a small utility trailer with riding mower on it.

I will be installing the shift kit and billet servo prior to any converter install.

Here are some of my questions:

What stall size would be best for my truck and truck usage? 2400? 2600? 3000?

Should I upgrade to a better tranny cooler or will the stock one be ok?

Is there any problems with getting a converter for 4 wheel drive truck?

Is there any daily driving problems with a higher stall converter?

How will converter effect towing the items I listed above? Will it be a problem?

Any help in helping make the correct decision for my truck and truck usage would be extrememly appreciated. I have been contemplating this for a month now and still have fears of which one or if any at all.

Depends on how fast you want to go. A 3000 stall is a really good choice. I bought a stock torque conv. for a trailblazer which will stall around 2600 rpm behind my motor, and around 2400-2500 behind a 5.3. They are closer to $250 instead of $700, but they will not perform quite as well at the track as a yank, or a PI converter. Either way, if you go with 3k or less stall it will be perfectly drivable, and will be able to tow that boat fine. I think the bigger stall is even better for a 4wd because you can take advantage of the stall more because you can get traction.

Aaron

I have a  2600 YANK not enough stall.    you should try 3200.  2600 is not enough stall

Thats odd. With the cam im running, that would be about perfect, but drivability is a big deal to me also. 3200 :eek: On a stock cam I would think that to be a little much.

George

Archived