Piece of RIM Broke OFF!!!

fox_forma

Well tonight my luck turned from good to horrible. I was out front of my house coming back from the store when i clipped the curb at my turn in front of my house. It didn;t hit it hard or anything so I figured I just scraped the rim up. Well instead of having a scrape a huge piece actually broke off. Are these rims that cheap? Do i have to buy a new rim now or is there a possibility i can do something with the dealer through my warrenty. Like I said the rim hit the curb, but not real hard so i figured it couldn't of been bad but this is what happened...

IMAG0060.JPG

What steps can i take to resolve this, I just didn't think these things break apart that easily. Has this happened to anyone before? Does anyone have an extra silver rim they want to sell if I have to replace it? Hope someone can point me in the right direction. Thank you

IMAG0060.JPG

What steps can i take to resolve this,

Stop hitting curbs...

I doubt if a dealer is going to give you a new wheel because YOU damaged it. That would be like scraping a guard rail and asking for it to be re-painted for free.

IMAG0060.JPG

Stop hitting curbs...

I doubt if a dealer is going to give you a new wheel because YOU damaged it. That would be like scraping a guard rail and asking for it to be re-painted for free.

I think it is more like this ... slamming your door because you are mad and the window breaks. Yeah you did something stupid but .... you expect the quality of materials to be of higher levels. Yeah it sucks to hit a curb but I have never heard of wheels "breaking off in a chunk" ... granted I have never invested in the Bling Bling wheels, I look for structural integrity instead of the bling factor (although that matters too).

Depends how bad you hit the curb ... if you just did a gentle curb check then I would be looking into new rims ... if you hit it at a bad angle and pretty fast then you probably have no right going after warranty. IMO of course :D

I understand if I wacked the curb hard it would be my fault and my $$ that would be consumed to fix it. This was right in front of my house so I was practically at a rolling speed, i dont think the speedO was even reading anything. The back end slid towards the curb some but nothing serious, barely even moved the truck when it tapped it. I just assumed it would be a little scrape untill i looked at it. I dont know if it was the angle or something but the piece just snapped off. The piece that broke has a little dent in it and a scrape about an inch and a half long and there are no other marks on the rest of the rim. And these were the stock SS silver wheels. I just wanted to see what route i can go with this such as a warrenty issue possibly. The truck has 7,000 miles on it so it is getting under my skin a little.

Oh and are the pics showing up? Now it isn;t showing the pic of the broke piece or my sig, can you guys see it?

Thanks

:chevy: Warranty it ,Tell them you went over some  bumpy railroad tracks and you heard a ding like something through off your truck and you stopped and found this

Because of people doing things like this we all pay more when we go to buy a new vehicle....Kind of like insurance fraud...Think before you do something like this.

I'm not going to use that railroad line, i'm going to tell them how it happened because I dont think it should of broke like that for something that barely hit the curb. I guess we'll see how this goes, for a vehicle that cost this much the rim shouldn;t snap like that i dont think. It wasn;t a hard hit which pisses me off the most. if it was a good wack and it happened than that would be a different story.

AUTOGUY: I didn't exactly plan this, it wasn't like i picked a good spot on the curb and gassed it to see what kind of damage i could do, so thanx for the advise

When I had my 00 Silverado, I remember one snowy day I found my fog light dangling. I took it to the dealership and asked that they fix it under warranty. They told me no way b/c it looks as though I hit something. I was po!! I never hit anything, but they insisted a mysterious snow bank or something else hit the front of my truck! Anyways-from my experiences-I have a feeling they will not fix it under warranty. But thats just what I think. Then again.... Good luck!

heres the update. I shot over to a GM dealer near my house and talked to them. They said because i hit the curb they can't send it to GM to get replaced and they wouldn;t go for it. One of the guys there was looking at the piece and my rim and said there is no way is should of snapped like that and they wanted to look at the rim without the tire on it. Off came the tire and and on the inside there were stress fractures all over and the GM guy said that it should not be like and that no matter what and me hitting the curb lightly could of caused that piece to break. So now he is going to look into this problem and see if possibly GM will give me a new rim because of the stress fractures, but its up in the air for now. A new rim priced from GM was $576, told him I would drive with the spare for a while before i paid that. Here is another pic of the wheel before the tire came off......

IMAG0061.JPG

Anyone know where I can get 4 rims and tires like the spare that comes under the truck? It actually looks pretty decent with the all black, but now i need to invest in a winter set of tires so i dont have to deal with this crap anymore. Thanks for all the other posts so far

IMAG0060.JPG

Stop hitting curbs...

I seen alot worse warranted. It's definately worth a shot. Wont hurt to check.

Archived