Smokey finally got me

dcairns

Smokey finally got me, 71 in a 45 zone :cry:

Forgot my basic driving rule, never be the fastest one in the pack. Naturally he got my peak speed as I was passing a car that had pulled in front of me.

Anyone in CA know what the cost might be for this one? I seem to recall that 25mph over is not so good.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sucks dave, but it was bound to happen. I don't know about Cali, but in texas, there is a set fine, and then $3 for every mile you go over. Also, When it is too far over, you can't take defensive driving for it.

Maybe time for a radar detector?

Get into edit (not sure which table) and change your ratio to throw off your speedo - way out. Take it to the dealership and show them. Then once you have the paperwork that showed you were off, you'll just get an improper equipment charge. You will get the same fine, but it won't show up on your license.

I have done this many times in other vehicles. Getting the speedo calibrated will be hard with the AWD and WB length. That is why I said go to the dealership.

You'll have to go to court, admit fault, show him your speedo malfunction paperwork, and you'll get the charge I said.

Here in Georgia they are required to show you the radar. It sounds strange that he would have clocked you just as you went 26 over instead of 25. You may be able to bring that up in court, not sure it will get you anywhere, but it looks as if he is trying to screw you as much as possible.

If their information is up to date, looking at the chart on page 28 of the UNIFORM BAIL AND PENALTY SCHEDULES the penalty is $340. Had you been going only 25 over the limit it would have cost you half of that!

Thanks for the link Ray, I always wonderd where they hid the rate sheet :D

I am glad the officer was courteous and didn't notice the missing front plate, tinted side windows, and clear cover on the rear plate.. all illegal in CA. :(

If their information is up to date, looking at the chart on page 28 of the UNIFORM BAIL AND PENALTY SCHEDULES the penalty is $340. Had you been going only 25 over the limit it would have cost you half of that!

Thanks for the link Ray, I always wonderd where they hid the rate sheet :D

I am glad the officer was courteous and didn't notice the missing front plate, tinted side windows, and clear cover on the rear plate.. all illegal in CA. :(

Dave,

Here in the state of Washington no front plate, tinted over limit windows, and the clear lisense plate cover would have cost you an additional $101 for each violation.

I don't know anything about California courts, but here if you have a good driving history and go in and talk to the judge, there is a very good chance of a significant penalty reduction.

Good luck in court.

Ray

Ouch!

I would think somewhere in the $350 range...

My basis is I got a ticket for 92 in a 65 just south of Fresno... and my fine was $370. Went to court, admitted fault, but that I was only going 85 and that the officer never got a radar lock on me (I asked for the printout, officer said there was no printout and that he never locked). Judge reduced the fine to $220 and allowed me to take traffic school so that it didn't go on my record.

Archived