Muffler Question

The local shop here in town has a large selection of mufflers... Glass Packs and Flowmasters. The only thing that I have against flowmasters is that everyone around here has them. I'd like something a little different on my SS. I do not want to buy a catback system for 600-900$$. Is there anywhere to just buy high quality mufflers such as B&B, Corsa, Borla?? I can buy the muffler and just have him run the pipes. From my understanding you can't really improve the exhaust system too much. Thanks

Brian

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the best muffler-only out there from a performance standpoint is the Magnaflow. A lot of guys on the board have gone the route of just replacing their stock muffler, as the rest of the exhaust plumbing is pretty good.

Magnaflow is a straight-thru design muffler that flows extremely well. They are reasonably priced. Drawbacks? They are a little loud, and known for a little drone in the cab in the 1800-2000 RPM range.

No flames intended, as my experience is primarily in the F-Body world and not in trucks, but I have never been a big fan of Flowmaster. Their mufflers may be a little less restrictive than stock in many cases and sound good, but they are baffled and chambered and not a true high-flow design. There are better performing alternatives IMHO.

Borla and Gibson both make nice straight-through mufflers, but some find the sound too raspy or too resonating. I have a Corsa system that I love, but as far as I know they won't sell you just a muffler. Corsa's sound-reflection technology allows for a very quiet straight-thru design. A few guys here have raved about Flo-Pro too, but I have no personal experience with their stuff, which is supposed to be pretty quiet.

Hope this helps. I am fresh from the exhaust search myself. Good luck. :cheers:

I reccomend Magnaflow as well, buy from www.jegs.com or www.summittracing.com

Stock pipes are ~2.75" OD going into the muffler...so the 2.5" in/out MagnaFlow is a close match in OD. Butt them up and weld.

The 3" in/out Magnaflow will slip over the stock pipes...

If you have a shop do the work, I'll bet they'd like you to bring them the 2.5" versions, as they can expand the inlet a little nd slip it over...the 3" is a loose fit, so it's harder to weld and fill the gaps.

Anyway, I have dual Magnaflow 2.5" offset in / center out on my SS, and it does drone at ~1800-2000...otherwise it's GREAT. No complaints.

- Brian

When you say "drone" what do you mean?

Please try to describe the drone noise.

If I run the dual mufflers with a 2.5" in and 2.5" out, can I turn them vertical and put them side by side? Did you go with the offset in and center out because of that?

Thanks!!

Brian

check out the flow pro 2504. This is my next mod. I asked around and found many like it. It provides some power and doesn't get loud in the cab. Search for flow pro and see what you find. I've got a link to a goo post about this. I'll PM it to you. Hope this helps.

Jeremy

When you say "drone" what do you mean?  

Please try to describe the drone noise.

Drone is a low, resonating, almost vibrating noise in the cab that you not only hear but feel. It doesn't so much seem to come out of the tailpipe as eminate from deep within the exhaust system. :sick:

There may be a better way to describe it, but that's how I would couch it. It doesn't bother everyone. I just find it annoying when it's constant at your cruising speed. :wtf:

When my wife's talking it's one thing, but otherwise I wanna hear my tunes! :ughdance:

Well I jus ordered the flo pro muffler so I'll let you know how it sounds when I get it installed. The wife might shoot me if I tell her I got another mod coming :banghead: My EFILive software should arrive soon and I've got my new laptop setup for wireless networking. Glad to say my tax people said I can write off the laptop and software since I'll use it for business. Hope you liked the post I sent you. Hopefully it will help you decide what you want to do. Good luck :cheers:

Well I just ordered the flo pro muffler so I'll let you know how it sounds when I get it installed. The wife might shoot me if I tell her I got another mod coming  :banghead: :

It's always tough for the women to understand. They just gotta realize how lucky they are that when we cheat on them it's just with our trucks... :crazy:

Thanks for the PM. The post looks good. I like the way they ran the pipes out the back. I think I'll probably go with the flo-pro. Still quiet, but a little louder when you get on it and increased performance. No need to make it louder and get the cops all rowled up.

Brian

Well I just ordered the flo pro muffler so I'll let you know how it sounds when I get it installed. The wife might shoot me if I tell her I got another mod coming  :banghead: :

It's always tough for the women to understand. They just gotta realize how lucky they are that when we cheat on them it's just with our trucks... :crazy:

I hear you. She's been great so far. I might take her out and spend some $$ on her this weekend to show my appreciation.

Just got my flo-pro 2504 installed yesterday. Went with side exits behind each wheel. I really like the sound so far. Will post some pics if this damn snow ever goes away so I can clean the truck.

I went with flowmaster on my truck but not the normal 40 series! I cant remember what series they are but they are flowmasters straight through style! dual mufflers both 3" in 3" out! All 3" piping from the headers back 3" x pipe and 3" in and out performance cats! then it all dumps right before the rear axle! The shop here that does it in D/FW is Kinney's! They rock they are expensive but they do the best exhaust bends ever and they finish it up right! The whole exhaust system gets sprayed with high temp engine paint! I mean for 1250.00 out the door they better do it right! I have had them do many exhaust for me and this is definately the best! This thing screams! Sounds like a 427 on steroids!

Archived