blown tranny again!

it seems to be the samething as last time. going about 80mph and after about two hours of driving, lost all the gears again. :tear: it has only been 1 and 1/2 months and less than 2500 miles since the last time this happend. this time i could hear a ticking sound from the trans while parked and the motor running. i started to hear this about 20 minutes earlier and thought it was in the motor... a lifter or something. the sound was pretty quiet though so i wasnt sure if it had been doing this for awhile. but when i pulled over, i noticed the sound coming from the trans. maybe this was from running someone on the freeway about 30 minutes earlier. i never took it over 115 mph. :dunno: any ideas or suggestions would be helpful. im willing to put a different trans in if possible. anyone.....ZIPPY???????

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get a chattering from the tranny area when I pull it out of park and into reverse. But it only lasts for a few seconds. I looked around to see if anything was loose and clinging against something :confused: but couldn't find anything. My tranny still seems okay though.

that's awfully strange. without seeing what broke it's hard to know what the cause was off hand. your power level isn't that outragous to be breaking this many transmissions. on the nitrous you're putting down enough power to challenge them, but not in street trim. i'd certainly be complaining to be builder. running it up over 115 shouldn't be an issue with it either.

what was invalved in the FIRST trans build:

blue plate kit

13 vain pump kit

29 element sprag

74020bk band

.490 pressure boost valve

high output pump slide and spring

intermediate servo release check valve

3 pinless accum. pistons

tq drive kit

hardend output shaft

white 1-2 accum. spring

t74171e shift kit

deep pan filter kit

t-case gasket

(all ready had both billet servos)

SECOND build:

rotor kit

pump slide

pump cover

deep pan filter kit

shop seal kit

t-case gasket

cable kit (no park)

the part that gave last time was the pump rotor, a GM part. the excact part was put back in. couldnt find any sort of upgrade. same problem, wondering if its the same part. what should i do if there is no upgrade?

ill be calling the shop owner tomarrow morning and getting it towed in.

btw, went to the track once since last build and only made three passes with the nitrous.

Seems its time to buy the FLP stage 5 trans.

Stage 5 Trans.

it looks to have about everything mine is built with except it cost about $500 more than mine, and that price is with mine fully installed. if this is a better trans im willing to look into it. how much or is it any better than i all ready have? ANYONE? thanks for all the help in advance.

i just got off the phone with the shop. he told me not to get the FLP stage 5. he said its equal to what i have. he is also going to try and get an aftermarket pump rotor made out of billet. he said he will try to get one made for me. even if this isnt it, it has already gave out once so i might as well replace it when the trans is out again. i guess ill have to wait and see what he can find.

Archived