blown tranny again!

are you sure in that warranty it doesnt say "under normal use". running 12.3s with a radix and nitrous isnt really normal. the guys at the shop do work with me on the price. the problem we have is the part that keeps breaking is a GM oe part. same as in the FLP as far as i know. besides, i dont want to keep fixing it every month, i just want to solve the problem.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man i feel for ya. If your are rebuilding it your or some one you know is building it check out bulkparts.com online, they have just about everthing you will need and their price aren't to bad. I've bought many a tranny parts from them. If you are trying to find a place to build a heavy duty tranny I suggest Art Carr Transmissions. Afriend of mine sent his tranny from his 95 Lighting after blowing it up, he running worked 351w with a Vortec R-trim boosting 14psi runnig in the 10s. Art Carr built the tranny to handle over 500ponies. Hasn't had any trouble since.

thanks for the advice, but there isnt an upgrade part for what i need... that i have found. btw, the shop that keeps building my tranny is into racing themselves.

we have talked about maybe changing from a 13 vain pump to a 10 vain pump. it has less vains but a stronger rotor, more mass. we just havent decided if this is worth it. :dunno:

thanks for the advice, but there isnt an upgrade part for what i need... that i have found. btw, the shop that keeps building my tranny is into racing themselves.

we have talked about maybe changing from a 13 vain pump to a 10 vain pump. it has less vains but a stronger rotor, more mass. we just havent decided if this is worth it. :dunno:

some have had more success with the 10 over the 13 in racing conditions, just not high speed run type conditions. i'm not quite sure why you're breaking them yet myself. matt went 12.3 with his truck back when he had the stock trans with the only mods to it being the boost valve, shift kit, and billet servo's. when it was torn down to upgrade it was showing little to no signs of abnormal wear and the pump was fine. a few other guys on here have taken theirs past 130 that i know of and this is where the pump gets stressed the most. i'd be checking into your flexplate for a problem if they can't find anything else.

I broke a pump also with less power than I had when I went 12.21. I have had 2 rebuilts and 1 upgrade. I went with the flp level 5 and ran it for 600 miles b/f I broke a piston with no problems. I will get to test it in about 2 weeks with the 408 motor.

Zippy, the programing, shift points, duration of shifts, line pressure, downshifts ect.. can screw up a tranny as fast as big HP... I thing Chuck @ FLP goes with the vacumn modulator for this reason...

Zippy, the programing, shift points, duration of shifts, line pressure, downshifts ect.. can screw up a tranny as fast as big HP...  I thing Chuck @ FLP goes with the vacumn modulator for this reason...

i agree. if you're commanding too much line pressure as an example it can cause chattering in the pump usually noticed by a whine just before it lets go. programming is a quick way to cause problems for sure. i believe you're right, that's why chuck uses the vacuum modulator kit on his so that he gets to control the trans settings before it leaves.

the guys at the shop and i were talking about why it might be breaking. high line pressure or high rpm? possibly in my case the combination of the two :dunno: but why doesnt it break right away when shifting? my line pressure is increased by 10% in the tuning and i have both billet servos in. we already talked about removing this, the 10% in the tuning, when i get the truck back. like i said before, we are considering a 10 vain pump for a stronger rotor. he did want to think about this first before just putting it in... advantages and disadvantages. :confused:

i can understand. at this point you just want to come up with anything to keep the damn thing from breaking again. :banghead::banghead::banghead: hopefully this is the last time you have to have it out.

im not for sure, but my problem might be that im shifting to hard. this thing really bangs. the guys at the shop say that my trans is one of the best they have built for a performance truck, as far as how well it shifts. it shifts quick and hard. if i take off slowly, it will jerk hard and shift after rolling only about 20 feet.

maybe just shifting to hard for an o.e. GM part? :dunno:

Archived