FLP L5 died again

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's a beefed up 80E made to run behind the 8.1 to handle the extra torque. if you get an 80E you want to have the 85E upgrades on top of having it be built. i'm sure chuck is very familier with it. :thumbs:

It will be interesting to see what broke. At your power levels its going to take a few more broken parts to get your package sorted out. Upgrade the tranny move on to finding the next weakest link i.e. the transfer case, axles or drive shaft, ect..

Is this of any help?

4l60e to 4l80e conversion

Scroll down to bottom of that page to find conversion link.

Attention Tahoe owners with 4WD and Superchargers!

#10A. Swap your 4L60E transmission to the much stronger 4L80E transmission with our new double strength case hardened output shaft and adapter kit. You can use the computer you have now on 1998 up models with the use of our #10X wiring harness. The transfer case you have now can be used as is and will be moved 1 3/4 inches to the rear. Cost $459.00

Qty 12345

HPIM0711.jpg

4L80Eto4L60Etc.jpg

#10X. Wiring harness to convert from a 4L60E transmission to a 4L80E transmission (LS1 type computer only). Cost $225.00

Qty 12345

The computer must be re-programmed.

#LS1-700. Crankshaft spacer to install a 4L80E transmission on a LS1 type motor. Six longer flywheel bolts included. The LS1 flywheel is reused. The flywheel goes on first then the spacer. The torque converter bolt holes in your flywheel must be elongated to fit your non-LS1 torque converter bolt circle. Cost $75.00

Qty 12345

Spacer.jpg

#10C. Crossmember for the 4L60E to 4L80E transmission conversion. This custom made crossmember moves the transmission mount to the correct position for the 4WD Tahoe 4L60E to 4L80E conversion. Works with the #3XX deep cast aluminum pan that holds 3 3/4 extra quarts of fluid. Cost $300.00. This price includes a $140.00 core charge, return your old crossmember in good undamaged condition for a refund.

Qty 12345

HPIM0678.jpg

#10C2. Crossmember for the 4L60E to 4L80E transmission conversion. This custom made crossmember moves the transmission mount to the correct position for the 4WD Tahoe 4L60E to 4L80E conversion. Must be used with a late model type pan. Cost $275.00. This price includes a $140.00 core charge, return your old crossmember in good undamaged condition for a refund.

Qty 12345

60to80-3.jpg

#10T. You get the 4L80E to Tahoe 4L60E transfer case adapter, custom made 4L80E to 4L60E transfer case output shaft, 4L60E to 4L80E wiring adapters, LS1 motor to 4L80E crankshaft spacer and a #10C custom built 4L80E crossmember that moves the transmission mount to the correct position. You saw it here first. Even the best built 4L60E transmission in a heavy 4WD supercharged Tahoe wont last long, a built 4L80E transmission is twice as strong as a built 4L60E transmission. Cost $1059.00

Qty 12345

#10M. Extreme Duty Energy Suspension Polyurethane transmission mount for the 4L60E to 4L80E swap (4WD). Cost $49.00

Qty 12345

If this is a repost of any info let me know & I will delete....... :thumbs:

I know Chuck at FLP committed to Jim before he went to the 4L80E to keep fixing the 4L65E-L5 until it worked. Sounded like a shared R&D arrangement. This might not be a bad way to go if you're willing to endure the downtime between builds.

Erik, sorry to hear about your problems. Just makes it easier for me to give on the turbo+stroker idea, sorry to say. Hope you get her fixed and running soon. Maybe one day that 80 dream can find it's way to our trucks.

I wish I had manufacture capability to make the parts needed for us to convert - I'd be rich!

Erik, sorry to hear about your problems.  Just makes it easier for me to give on the turbo+stroker idea, sorry to say.  Hope you get her fixed and running soon.  Maybe one day that 80 dream can find it's way to our trucks. 

I wish I had manufacture capability to make the parts needed for us to convert - I'd be rich!

You're giving up on this, Ben? Are you still selling your turbo? What will you be doing about the stroker - staying N/A? Different pistons/heads for higher compression?

Erik, sorry to hear about your problems.  Just makes it easier for me to give on the turbo+stroker idea, sorry to say.  Hope you get her fixed and running soon.  Maybe one day that 80 dream can find it's way to our trucks. 

You're giving up on this, Ben? Are you still selling your turbo? What will you be doing about the stroker - staying N/A? Different pistons/heads for higher compression?

I would still be doing had I not had problems - again. Yes, to all 4 of your questions. Heads are getting re-worked, pistons will be for 10.5:1CR.

This suxs I have the same trans. My 408 will be installed next weekend and will be ready to start tuning. How much hp does chuck think it will hold? I may have to run n/a till the 80 trans problems are worked out.

This suxs I have the same trans.  My 408 will be installed next weekend and will be ready to start tuning.  How much hp does chuck think it will hold?  I may have to run n/a till the 80 trans problems are worked out.

That is my line of thinking right now. :thumbs:

The tranny has been in a pair of 850hp C5s for about 8 months, but doubling the weight...

Mine might be another fluke as well. After playing with it some more yesterday am, it seems like the forward gears are always engaged, so reverse is acting like a transbreak and even neutral has forward power.

I've got no clue what could be causing that, but the tranny is on it's way up to Chuck and then we'll know for sure.

I really want to stay AWD, but driving the truck is more important :) Plus as Jim pointed out 2wd can be really fun sometimes :)

Archived