Rustproofing?

BOB47

:chevy: Hi everyone. Great site! Been checking it out for a while now. Tons of good ideas and useful info. Got my black SS on April 18th. Fantastic truck.

My question is: What are you doing about rustproofing? Even though I live in the rustbelt I don't plan to have mine done. Every car/truck I've ever had done rusted. The ones I left alone did fine. What's your opinions? Yes, it will probably be driven all winter.

I have owned vehicles in Upstate NY for my entire life. This is the salt king of the world. They put up signs that read "sensible salting requires sensible driving" No I am not kidding! If I had a digital camera, I would show you!

Rustproofing has never made a difference in modern vehicles. Yes, in an old 63 it may save it for a few years, but in new stuff, no difference.

Don't do it!

Hey, Bob. Welcome aboard. Sorry I can't be more help with your question. I live in Phx. so rustproofing is not something we worry about around here. Hell, we're lucky if it rains at all (much less salt on the roads). :D

Although I've gotten the rustproofing in my last couple of trucks, I like the clean underside. It's a lot easier to spot and take care of the rust if it shows.

I've noticed that some things underneath the truck have already been treated with something. I've rubbed against while changing the oil and gotten all over me. Difficult to get off without some kind of special cleaner.

Rust proofing voids your warranty becuase it causes the areas untreated or missed in the spraying proccess )little spots like in door corners and stuff) to rust FASTER by making the moisture shed to that place. That is why no one does it anymore.... That and people caught on that it costed the dealerships $20 to perform a service they charged $300 for...

-Joe

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Kind of settles it in my mind. Just thought I'd try to get other opinions on the subject. Think I'll skip it and spend that money and more to get some nicer summer wheels. :D

Sounds like a winner to me, Bob. :thumbs:

Bob will need a whole lot more to go with that $300 he saved by not trying to do rustproofing to buy wheels like the ones you're sporting around in, Lee.

By the way, never have told you that I like what you've done to the truck. All looked really sharp. Keep going with it and keep posting the pics - love to see the stuff.

-Ben

I am really 50-50 on the idea too! I live in Canada where we get snow 5 or 6 months so alot of people are saying to go for it. Everyone told me to go to Krown since they do the best work, so i ran a sample truck (my 2001 work truck) and they totally destroyed the truck. They had oil everywhere underneath the truck and on the body. There was over spray that go into the interior but the worst part was the guy left oil boot marks inside the cab. To make things even worst he never cleaned his hands when he had to move the truck so he go oil all over the wheel too. I was pretty upset. So if any of you guys decided to do rustproofing really make sure you talk aroudn and see the type of work they do. Also book off an hour or so and watch them do it so you can drive it for them when they needed it moved. However i am still 50-50 on the idea.

Just my two cents

-Bob

Archived