Cam ordered

I sent Allan Futral an email telling him about what my future plans are. I asked for a cam with good driveability, nice lope (not too excessive), and that I didn't plan to spin above 6200. The suggestion he came back with was a 236/243-114.

I trust Allan completely, but damn that seems huge. Looks like a mother to tune. We'll see. Didn't get the lift numbers. He says it will make peak power in the 5800-5900 range. May order next week, or so.

Wow. 236 intake duration on a bumpstick for a powerband below 6200 RPM? Like you I think that sounds mighty big. :confused:

This for use with the Radix? Hard to avoid a good amount of overlap with duration that high and a 114LSA.

even for a 408 that looks like one hell of a cam. i think tuning won't be so bad. the compression will help out alot on that. i'd have been looking more at the XER273HR. this cam would probably be about 30 horse shy of that recomended cam from allan. the XER281HR (or something similar) would be about as big as i'd be going for your application. your 2600 stall is likely to stall around 2900 behind the 408. with that stall it leaves you some room for the cam choice. i think a bit smaller would make for much better manners when idling and cruising through slow traffic in 100 degree weather with the a/c on.

btw, what heads have you decided on?

just checking around into one of our other members 408's. take a look at his numbers. pretty impressive for that big of a cam.... :dunno:

383SS member

yup. I have a 246/250 112+4 .632 from Allan Futral in my 408. I'm also running 12.5:1 compression though 16" extensions off open headers. that cam was actually spec'd for my 383 but blew it before I could run with it. my car is all out drag, so it's actually a little small for me now. I plan on upgrading to a 253/261 sometime in the future, from Allan again.

I don't know about S/C, but that I would think that sounds about right for a 408 in our trucks. definaly pushing the big side though

I've also emailed him about the SSS and he recommended a 224/226 .58X 114, assuming I had a 3000 stall, headers and heads. I thought that sounded a little big, but allan knows his $hit.

here's a graph. this was 1 3/4 vs 1 7/8 headers.

http://mofbody.com/john/1%207-8%20vs%201%203-4.jpg

another interesting note. my heads are only 2.02/1.60 valves and 'only' flow 293 @ 600. it's all about mid/low lift and valve job :thumbs:

looks like your shift points are around 6600-6800 or so now? the compression certainly helps keep the torque up there. with a 408 in an SS i was thinking it would be nice keeping the peak hp around 5200 or so and with good heads it wouldn't fall off until around 5600-5800 or so. this would make it drive like a stock truck except with much better power. fortunatly having enough stall like ben has after spending the last half hour or so looking at dyno charts i'd say allan's recomendation seems to be right there with what ben spec'd out to allan. i would probably look into adding an auxillary oil cooler to the system other than the one in the radiator to try to keep oil temps down. not only is there more cubes to keep cool, high lift cams can tend to run high temperatures at the springs. this is one of the main failures of valve springs.

Well right or wrong this is the cam I got for my 408. Comp xer 230/234 595/601 114. I had my shift points at 6300 with the old motor and will be alittle higher we this one. I am running 2.05/1.60 valves with 10.8 to 1 compression.

Well right or wrong this is the cam I got for my 408.  Comp xer 230/234 595/601 114.  I had my shift points at 6300 with the old motor and will be alittle higher we this one.  I am running 2.05/1.60 valves with 10.8 to 1 compression.

the cam i am getting is right about the same as yours 2bseen. thats border line big imo but then again is it going to be the DD or is the ricer going to be it.

I was wrong it is 591/595, I picked it up last night with my motor.  Hope to have it running by sunday.

i think you'll have the quickest turn around on a 408 yet if you get it running this weekend.

Archived