Transmission with Supercharger

Hi Have been reading all the problems with the trannies not holding up when helped with a supercharger I have a 2003 SS with supercharger what can i add to transmission to beef it up to handel the extra horses Thanks in advance

THIS Site Rules all

I would venture that there are just as many non-supercharger tranny problems as there are one with.

I think you just have to do a few things to make it operate better and cool better.

Start by getting a shift kit. Servos are nice, but not a necessity, IMO. Billet servos are a little much with the combined torque of a supercharger (Radix?), again IMO. But many are using them. I prefer the corvette servo.

Buy the largest tranny cooler that you can fit behind your grille (got to the how-to section). It will pay much dividends in the long run to control heat. Also, change to a better fluid. A hp fluid is what I use. My fluid is suppoed to run the tranny up to 35 degrees cooler. A better fluid is not a necessity, just a recommendation.

I am glad you like the corvette servo and the billet is not nessisary to you Ben. Just throwin this out there but how many have you done. I have had my hads on quite few faster SS's and have used the billet servos and shift kit with a .490 boost valve. I know of one that goes 12's on a stock internal trans on here that has over 200 passes. I know of more failures with other kits and stock or corvette servos. Especailly clutch and band failures. Thats just personal experience. Not trying to act like a master trans builder here its just that the shop looks like this on a regular basis.

91406257.jpg

91406256.jpg

Thats were I got my info, where did you get yours? the internet?

I am glad you like the corvette servo and the billet is not nessisary to you Ben. Just throwin this out there but how many have you done. I have had my hads on quite few faster SS's and have used the billet servos and shift kit with a .490 boost valve. I know of one that goes 12's on a stock internal trans on here that has over 200 passes. I know of more failures with other kits and stock or corvette servos. Especailly clutch and band failures. Thats just personal experience. Not trying to act like a master trans builder here its just that the shop looks like this on a regular basis.

[Thats were I got my info, where did you get yours? the internet?

First of all, I did use the "IMO", which means in my opinion. That means that my view is maybe not a learned one like maybe yourself.

I was referring mostly to a Radix install with billets. People may like them, but it is one hell of a bang in addition to gobbs of torque. Again, not of a learned view here, but isn't the bang that tranny grabbing the gear with force? If it is, then when it grabs that gear with all that addit'l force and torque, isn't it "more" stress? If I'm wrong, then explain what it really is.

It is interesting to note however, that even FLP uses the corvette servo in their Level V builds. I got that from the internet :) FLP, although guessing here, doesn't get many failures because of the corvette servo or they would not put it into their Primo builds. Not sure if you see more hp trannys than they do or not.

I wasn't aware that there was a s-chg'd SS that has over 200 passes that's in the 12s. Do they even come on here? That's great! What is their logon id?

Not trying to argue with you TJ. It is just my opinion and it is okay if it differs from yours. Not sure what you meant by "other kits", I never referred to a specific shift kit. Just referring to a kind of servo - nothing more.

without going into much explaining here, you're leaving out a point on either servo. you point out how hard the bang is on the shift. have you ever ridden in a truck with billets? what kind of shift kit was in it? the majority of shift kits use their own methods of limiting the volume in the accumulator (mainly the 1-2). anytime you make that accumulator smaller your bang will become harsh with even a stock servo. doing this doesn't increase the line pressure or volume sent, simply takes away some of the cushion of the fluid as it's pressure spikes on the apply. if you had a transgo kit and didn't modify the accumulators and only changed the spring, you'd have almost the same shift with a billet servo as you would with a standard kit with 1 or 2 washers and the corvette servo. the difference is in the accumulators.

the truck with over 200 passes with stock trans internals (only trans mods are zippy kit and vigilante converter) is the chevy high performance magazine truck.

Wow thats all jibberish to me LOL please tell me in laymens terms what i should do to my ss Right now it's slow shifting threw the gears (lag time ) is that normal Thanks to all that responded

the best thing i can do is find the one's with a radix and see what they are using. ask them how they like it. you'll probably get a few in here to reply with their experiences. :thumbs:

I have a vette servo, aluminum accumulator piston, raybestos clutches, kevlar band, trans go shift kit...... :driving: and had Bryan tune it. I love the way it shifts with the radix. For now, I would do the servos, shift kit, you might want to do the piston because the stock cracks for some people, and tune it.

Only 2K blown miles now with mods shown in sig. Jag shift kit includes metal accumulator piston and corvette servo. Using just one spacer washer the 1-2 shift is quite a bit firmer than stock but not harsh. Then again, I like to feel the shift, not just watch the RPM's dip.With Allen Nelson's tuning on the torque management WOT shifts are much crisper and hold nicely. :D

Archived