ctrow

165 members have voted

1. 1. AWD or SuperCharger?

• AWD and N/A
    • 2WD and S/C

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why anyone would EVER purchase a 2WD pickup is beyond me. One of the big advantages of a pickup is 4WD. If you want 2WD, buy a sports car. If you are worried about the fuel economy hit, you shouldn't be buying a pickup anyhow.

....stumbles off mumbling something about 4WD should be standard on all trucks.....

I hear what you're saying, but my last truck was 2-wheel, and only had about 3 times that I really could have used it in the four years I owned it. The truck before that was 4-wheel and "needed" it maybe 10 times in the 6 years I owned it.

I enjoy the AWD SS and like the fact that it's standard, but think it should be an option. One that I would have gotten, by the way.

To me, AWD is a big plus.

If I needed the towing capacity that is lost due to AWD, I should have bought a duelly anyway.

The AWD handling is an exceptional feature - it allows faster driving in the rain, safer driving in all conditions, pulling my ski boat up a wet ramp, the occasional "alternate surface" road, the occasional inclement weather, etc. Performance (zippy) to some, is defined by a balance of power and agility. There are several aftermarket engine mods we can choose from to increase horsepower.

My 2 cents...or a nickel after inflation!

if my SS was 2wd I would already be looking for a new set of tires (at least the rear ones) because I would have roasted the rear ones. Instead I have to save burnouts for my motorcycle :P

Well...that's a good point. I wonder how much rubber we have all saved bacause the truck came with AWD? :D Never gave that too much thought - maybe I'm just slow.

If you plan on modding this truck and doing a little racing on the streets or at the track, AWD is great. My last outing to the drag strip in my Z71 netted me a 1.74 60 foot time. I could have never gotten close to that if not for 4WD. With the right mods and the traction you get from AWD, the SS will be king of the stop light street race. Sure the vette, fbod, stang, lightning, etc.. may be lighter and be faster from a roll, but if they can't hook up, it doesn't matter from a stop. Those guys can't run slicks all the time. The race could be over before they have a chance to show their stuff.

I would have to get the AWD.

I want a truck to still be a truck, not an impractical sportscar with a bed. I would be embarrassed if my truck got stuck in the snow when a Toyota Camry blows by me with its FWD or a Chevy Lumina ends up being more off-road capable.

Plus, I think the AWD adds quite a bit of improvement to the handling.

• 4 years later...

Archived