Lowering recommendations

AmesSS

I have belltech keys and shackles. It's alright. If I were buying again, though, I would go with a kit that has drop spindles like McGaughy's.

Belltech supposedly has drop spindles coming out this month. I will be putting those on as soon as they are available.

McGaughy's deluxe kit, part #SS2D, $395.00

Everything you need to lower your ride and still have that "stock" ride quality.  :thumbs:

You'll thank me later!  :jester:

Late-  Alex

Is it the same part number regaurdless of rim size? I'm running 22" rims, some of the posts I saw mentioned needing different parts for larger rims?

Turn down the Torsion bar and BellTech shackles in the rear.  With re-alignment, just over $100 total.

Is that really a safe way?

What's unsafe about it?

I dont know, thats why I am asking :yellow_loser:

How low can you get doing it that way? I thought if you turned down the bars to much it would make the front end real floaty but i really dont know anything about suspension so I thought I'd ask

How low can you get doing it that way?  I thought if you turned down the bars to much it would make the front end real floaty but i really dont know anything about suspension so I thought I'd ask

You can get about 1.5" this way. Not quite as low as a McG kit. It will soften up the front end suspension, but it still handles well. I've had mine like this for almost 2 years. I would like the McG kit better, but didn't have the $$$ at the time.

Cheep route, lower the Torsion bar and shackles.

Best route, McG kit

McGaughy's deluxe kit, part #SS2D, $395.00

Everything you need to lower your ride and still have that "stock" ride quality.  :thumbs:

You'll thank me later!  :jester:

Late-  Alex

Is it the same part number regaurdless of rim size? I'm running 22" rims, some of the posts I saw mentioned needing different parts for larger rims?

with the mcgaughys kit you need to use larger than 17" wheels i think it is...so youre fine with anything over that. I have that kit and have 23's with 305/40/23s. I have also remove the plate that the bumpstops in the rear are mounted on, then mounted them to the frame. On the front i cut the bumpstops down and i would suggest that to anyone who gets this kit. I back would bottom out all the time with the stock setup on the bumpstops. The ride infront softened up a bit after shortening the stops...which it needed in my opinion. Also...do some more searching on the forum to find more info...theres numerous post about this topic. :thumbs:

my question would be at this point is how often do you guys bottom out. when i dropped my Extreme the front tires would hit the wells pretty often and the rear stayed bouncing off the frame on bumpy roads. when i say bumpy i mean a good amount of bumps. the frame would also drag when pulling out of places like the gas station n shit like that.

this is my biggest worry as of now. my second is payload loss. can i still haul a good load with it?

my question would be at this point is how often do you guys bottom out. when i dropped my Extreme the front tires would hit the wells pretty often and the rear stayed bouncing off the frame on bumpy roads. when i say bumpy i mean a good amount of bumps. the frame would also drag when pulling out of places like the gas station n shit like that.

this is my biggest worry as of now. my second is payload loss. can i still haul a good load with it?

To answer your first question:

You shouldn't have any problems w/ bottoming out on normal driving, especially if you're careful going over larger bumps at speed.

The second question:

No. In order to maintain a decent payload you will need air assist bags or helper springs on the rear leafs... otherwise you'll be dragging your ass all over town.

I have the MG kit and I bottom out on big bumps when I fill up the tank. I also have taken the bumpstop brackets out and mounted them directly to the frame. It doesn't happen all that often, but it happens and it pisses me off everytime I hear it!

Late- Alex

Archived