Need help

Hunter Lee

I love the tune of the factory exhaust in the SS, but wish it was more aggressive / louder. Is there any options besides replacing entire exhaust? What muffler would give me what im looking for? I'v read all the posts about exhausts and seem to be more confused. :uhoh:

I had a Gibson exhaust (cat back / single pipe) on my last truck and had a nice little rumble, but the factory exhaust was garbage, so anything would have been better.

I guess any performance exhaust would sound great through the SS engine?

I'm personally waiting to see what, if anything special, for the SS comes out. Then I'll move from there. Have you been to the Corsa site and listened to their exhaust? Kind of pricey, but may fill your need. Here's the link Corsa. Make sure you listen to sound clips.

-Ben

i am still realy torn between Borla and Flowmaster. Corsa is still a realy sweet exhaust system but very $$$

$$$$$$$$ are a concern for most of us. If you can swing it, go for the the exhaust system you think is the BEST for you. The SS deserves the BEST :cheers:

FWIW - I had a Borla system on my '99 Silverado and did NOT like the sound. I ended up hating that thing after about a year. Everybody is different on this issue of what sounds good so you have to be your own judge but try and ride in someone else's before committing if you can.

I'm with you Lee. I also had the Borla on my 99' and although I didn't hate it, it didn't give me much enjoyment in the deep guttoral rumble area, which I wanted. I believe quality wise, it would be hard to beat Borla and at the time, that was why I chose them. Later I was a little disappointed in the sound.

Whether I had power or not, I wanted it to sound like I did. I think most of us are like that. I still think Borla is the best in quality, but if I get a new exhaust system for the SS, it will be something that has guts in the sound dept. as well as quality.

I love the way the stock SS sounds. It's light years better than my old Borla. I just wish GM had spent the few extra dollars to make it dual instead of a single exhaust. I mean, there two outlets coming out of the muffler so why not make it dual exhaust - if for no other reason then appearance. I mean, geez, General Motors, if you're in doubt call me collect next time, okay? ;)

lee, in a previous post someone said they heard that one of the outlet on the stock system is blocked off. Have you heard anything else on this? I was thinking since it sounds pretty desent I would cut the duels behind the muffer and put 2 1/2" out each side if it wasn't blocked.

If it is blocked I'm thinking about going with #12569 on this page http://shop.ivalueinternet.com/bigexhaust/...duct_id/529.htm this muffler has the x pipe built into the muffler.

Ken....

Ken,

I must have missed that post as I was not aware that one side was not functional. Too bad. I was thinking of doing the same thing you mentioned. I am really gun shy now about aftermarket exhaust systems after my Borla experience. I really did not like that way that sounded and the stock SS sounds so good. It seems relatively simply to hang dual pipes out the back using the current muffler thereby not changing the sound. Hmm, this may take some research. Thanks for the heads-up, Ken.

Thanks for the replies guys. I would love to put another pipe out the driver side. Couldn't we put a "Y" pipe of the muffler and run another one to the other side? I agree with all of you, the SS sounds so good but needs a little more.

I don't think you can go wrong with Flowmaster. I have a few friends using FM and they love it, sounds great. As far as quality, im not sure. Then again, they have headers too which is adding to the sound.

There has got to be a way for another pipe out the drivers side without changing mufflers. If anyone finds out please let me know. Thanks... :cheers:

There has got to be a way for another pipe out the drivers side without changing mufflers

That's exactly what I would like to do, Hunter. I was thinking of a "Y" too. Only thing I'd like to change is to bring both our the rear of the vehicle instead of to the side. :thumbs:

Archived