Need help with a problem.

Brandon27

I took my 96 supercharged formula to my uncle's muffler man he owns. I took it there because I thought it had a ex. manifold leak. Well my cousin called and said it was just the air tube above the ex. man that had a leak. I was pumped, alot less money. Well I go pick the car up and right when I pull in I notice the front nose is all messed up. They ran into something or someone hit the car. I go in and get my cousin and he says noone drove the car and he doesn't know how it happened. I think it is bull. Then I am driving home and the car is running like a@#. I can feel what seems to be knocking coming from the floor, I can feel it through the shifter too. I live 10 minutes away and the temp gauge rose to 240. Smoke was coming from the pcv tube going into the valve cover(they didn't plug it back in. It ran good when i TOOK IT IN(it did sound like a derby car though). I have never been so mad.

It also was missing 1/4 tank of gas, but my cousing says noone drove it. I am at a loss what to do. I called my cousin and left a voice message, but no call back.

should I go straight to my uncle to get this resolved? All I know is that the car is messed up and I don't feel as though I should pay anything. I think their insurance should cover the nose and whatever is wrong with the motor.

I think they went joy riding and f@$# up my car.

any advice would be awesome

oh on a side note I was suppose to deliver this car to its new owner Saturday morning, not gonna happen now.

Brandon

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not cool.

Deal with it in a professional manner...take pics, notes of who you spoke with, etc...

The more detail, the better.

I would go straight to the uncle, and lay it out there for him...try not to be accusatory. See what he can do to make it right.

Good luck with it (and sorry for your trouble).

- Brian

Dealing with family working on your vechical almost never leads to anything good. I make for a bad situation when something goes wrong. I hope you get it worked out with no problems. I've been there and learned my lession. Good Luck

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have had so many joyrides taken in my cars that I do all of my work (that I can handle) myself. When something is over my head, and I need to take a vehicle in, I have the same routine every time: I walk the service writer around the car/truck and I write down the mileage before I hand over the keys. When it’s done, I walk back around it and check the mileage before I pay. It’s a shame, but that’s the way the world is today.

After work I am going to my uncle's house to see if we can get this taken care of. From now on I am not taking my vehicles to any of the one's my family owns. It is really sad it has come to this. The only reason I take them there anyways is the deal they give me, it isn't like they do outstanding work.

thanks for the imput

Brandon27

I am sorry to hear this, especially with blowing your vehicle sale and cash flow; I would be furious. Quality of work is not the issue here; having someone you trust take personal use of your car for the day without your permission PLUS wrecking it is. You have every right to expect your vehicle back in as-delivered condition. I would drive it to your uncle's house and explain firmly that you believe in paying for your own mistakes, and that you expect him to do the same (his mistake being that he employs your cousin).

Mr. P.

I feel the same as you misterp. I treat other's vehicles like my own. I would expect someone to atleast be standup about it if they screw my car up. They are playing stupid. My dad does body/paint work so it won't cost much. The nose is the least of my worries at this point. I am extremely worried about the motor.

I felt like a dild0 telling the guy I can't sell the car..

This is just not the thing I needed right now, with a baby coming and everything, my nerves are getting shot real quick.

Brandon

Well if it helps any I know what you mean about needing the money with a baby on the way, I *completely* know where you're coming from. There's nothing like having another issue heaped on top of your life... So I'm dying to know - is this uncle on your dad's side or mom's side of the family?!

My advice - don't treat this as a family matter, but just exactly like you would dealing with any other (non-family) shop in town. Forget your cousin, he doesn't make enough money to eat lunch out let alone fix your car; follow the money.

You coolly tell the owner that you brought the car to them in clean/sellable condition, and when you came back to get it the car was damaged/not sellable, and you will be mailing them a bill for repairs and you expect it paid. When they (again) try to play dumb or otherwise blow you off, you tell them that it doesn't matter and that the only fact you are concerned with is that YOUR car was damage in THEIR care. Do not say "I don't care", instead focus on the fact that you are "concerned only with the fact that MY car was damaged in the care of YOUR company". Stick to discussing the SIMPLE facts. Your discussion should be ONLY three or four sentences AT MOST, and then you say "I have to go, I am needed elsewhere" and you LEAVE before you or they can say anything else.

BEFORE you repair the car - take it to three places (including your dad) and have honest estimates for repairs. Also round-up your for sale photos and photos of damage. Then have your dad fix the car and bill you at fair market rate (even though I am sure he will in reality charge you less) and you present with a letter expecting payment to the muffler shop. At that point in most businesses, the manager of the shop is out of the loop, your request will probably go straight to the bookkeeper who will then have to ask your uncle if you should be paid; this is how to deal with your uncle.

If your request is refused, you take the muffler business to small claims court (cost < $100) and, from my own personal experience, you will come out in the end with cash to cover repairing the damage to your car. The judge will look at your three estimates and determine a fair compensation for you.

About your motor - well the radiator is probably damaged for sure, but actually engines handle low water a bit better than most people think, as long as it wasn't driven too long without water it'll probably live through it. Check the fluids first, make sure the oil is not contaminated with water, etc. The car may run like crap, but as long as there is no mechanical knocking (broken rods/valvetrain) and no oil in the water then most likely with a little TLC it can be whipped back into tune.

Mr. P.

That's why I don't deal with family in business dealings. Take Misterp's advice. That sound like the best, most professional approach. Like he said, don't get pushed into a corner, just walk away stating only the facts. If you get mad you may say or do something not only that you may regret, but could backfire on you if it goes to court. Good luck.

Ok update:

Went to my uncle's house and talked to his wife(my aunt). Actually they are my cousins, I think of them as aunt and uncle though. I am closer to them than I am with real uncles. I only showed her the cosmetic damage. She said they will take care of it all. I just told her I don't care what happened, but I want the car fixed. When my uncle calls I will tell him the rest.

I am on my way right now to get it scanned and start from there.

Misterp.

It wasnt damaged enough to get the radiator. Just spidered the nose and chipped off a bunch of paint.

Brandon

Glad to hear the damage was body only. it's also good to hear you got to make headway on this, don't let it drop through the cracks though. Depending on your temperment you can play this several different ways - either at a distance ('what happened is all in the past just make it right') or since this is your family and at the moment they appear to be working with you it might not be a bad idea to position yourself as doing everything you can do to help them set this deal straight.

As far as talking to your uncle, I still would not volunteer *anything* to him except that 'my car was damaged in the care of your company' even though you know a lot more of the story. If he does not care to know but will pay the damages anyway well that is his loss. If he *does* care then he will ask you the questions, and that is when you can tell him what you know; this is important because you will not come off like you want to take a pound of flesh out of your cousin. But whether your uncle cares or not, you ARE getting your damages reimbursed - keep at it, sounds good so far.

Mr. P. :)

Edit - this deal is JUST getting started, it is not over by any means - get those estimates; you can always throw them away later.

dude that sucks. misterp is right get the estimate, now and many. Goto the most expensive shop in town and at least two others.

I know you are starting on a long nine month trip so here are two things that might help:

1. Project calm to your partner-stress is not good during this time, espically as the months go by, you have time, sell the car

2. Enjoy these nine months,your life has not changed yet-BUT it is comming...no turning back after the baby is here:)

stay professional w/family business and get it in writing-estimates and their plan to get your car back to good condition.

New update,

I went back and talked to my uncle after he called. He said he can't be liable for every person's car hit in the lot. I also went and had the motor checked and it is junk. Two people said a rod is trying to get out. They said it sounds like someone overreved it. At 2000 rpm she is basically a rattle can. My uncle drove it and agreed the motor is shot. It will hardly turn over now. It got 1000 times worse driving it to the shops. My cousin is still saying noone drove the car. My uncle is choosing to take his side. So I don't know what is going to happen now..

Brandon

small claims, start the paper work. use your uncle's company name as the defendant, not your uncle. Get the estimates, and maybe a statement from the guy you just bought it from stating the condition of the car b4 it went in for service. Check the oil, could the old seller have used heavy wt oil to cover up rod knock??? Documentation is a must. Sorry it is not going easy

Archived