HOW-TO: Replacing Your Thermostat

misterp

Great thread. I have been thinking about doing the 160 stat swap and a tune.

The main reason I wanted it done is the temp that the truck runs. So it seems that 195-205 is normal operating temp in a stock truck?

Seems high to me, I would definitely like to get the temp down some.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is a pretty easy mod just a little messy.....but it does help with the temp.

just remember there is no drain valve on the radiator on models 04+ u just have to take the hose off and let it spew into a bucket....took me longer to figure that out then actually swapping the t-stat.

• 3 months later...

Would changing the t-stat be beneficial if using a hand held tuner? Waiting for shift kit before getting tuned PCM (3 kide in college) and am using a Superchips 2815 flashpaq. Would I be wasting money to change the t-stat now?

• 1 month later...
02%20-%20Petcock.jpg

For anyone like me, who has a 2004 Silverado SS (If you don't already know) There is actually NO drain valve, you have to remove the bottom radiator hose.

I know, stupid. On the other hand it's supposed to ensure all coolant is drained from the block.

It's just a little more of a pain :icon_bs:

EDIT: I guess this was already mentioned, Bah - I better read all the replies before I post, lol. :)

Those of you with 160 T-stat. Is the loss of MPG worth it? Do you really notice that much difference?

I did the 160 t-stat change a couple of months ago and I didn't loose any mpg. If anything I gained mpg. Plus it keeps my engine cooler. :D

where can i order this 160 t-stat??? i plan on gettin a pcm tune from blackbearperformance pretty soon so i wanna do it all at once!?? any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advanced!!

jerry

where can i order this 160 t-stat??? i plan on gettin a pcm tune from blackbearperformance pretty soon so i wanna do it all at once!?? any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advanced!!

jerry

SLP - and, they are an official sss.com supporting vendor.

Mr. P. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I installed my 160 t-stat today and the install was very easy. However, I am not sure I got the cap on/cap off order and times completely correct. But I drove my truck for several miles and checked the coolant level (and checked again once cold) and everything seems to be alright, and my temperature never went over 185. So my question is, is there a possibility that I still have air trapped or should I be good to go?

Any help is appreciated :D

Archived