HOW-TO: Replacing Your Thermostat

misterp

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Great reading. Just got a couple of questions. I guess living in Hawaii, when the weather never goes below 60 and never gets past 100. It would be ok to go with a 160 stat and 20/80 mixture? Along with the water wetter and is this part of the 20 or the 80 percent or is it on it's own?

• 2 weeks later...

Can you tell if you have hot spots? What would the symptoms be? I recently changed my thermostat and left the cap off after I filled the tank. I let the engine heat up and the thermostat open and then filled will fluid as necessary. When it stopped going down, I let the engine run for quite a while with the cap off. The level hasn't changed a bit since I finished adding fluid the last time. I'm assuming this is fine, I would just hate to know that I have hot spots and didn't know it. Your thoughts? Thanks.

• 9 months later...

What water are you guys re-filling with? I know the old waterhose water is a bijg no no but I recently read not to use distilled water either..... any truth to that? It is what I've used in everything else I have ever owned with no problem. Thanks.

...when the weather never goes below 60 and never gets past 100. It would be ok to go with a 160 stat and 20/80 mixture? Along with the water wetter and is this part of the 20 or the 80 percent or is it on it's own?

Yes if it never freezes you will get a little more efficiency out of the coolant if it is more water than ethylene glycol; you still want some antifreeze in there for 2 reasons, first it is the lubrication for the water pump; second it raises the boiling point and you still want that. I would not mix any leaner ratio than 25% (1 part ethylene glycol to 4 parts water). And you put the water wetter in first, then fill the rest with coolant mix.

Can you tell if you have hot spots? What would the symptoms be? ...

If you have not burped all the air out you will have two possible symptoms, (1) a trapped pocket of air at the thermostat and it will never heat up and open; (2) a localized pocket of air in the engine head that leads to warping of the head and (later) failed head gasket. Engineers thought all this out when designing the engine head, as long as you follow the procedure the cooling system should burp just fine, even though it is a possibility on a LS motor I've never heard anyone warping a head due to air trapped in the coolant.

What water are you guys re-filling with? ...

Ideally you want to use distilled water, like what you would use in a clothes iron; the issue is minerals in the water, just make sure whatever water you decide to use is filtered and mineral free.

Mr. P. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this isnt a stupid question, here goes. i have a new slp 160* stat, and i want to know before installing it, do i have to buy and replace the thermostat housing? or can i just drop in the stat with the stock housing? TIA! :chevy:

• 4 months later...

Just thought I'd add to this that I believe the 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0 1999-2003 will all take the housing type tstat. Mine was in my '03 5.3 and I just put it in my SSS with no probs. Must be the extra cubes, but the 5.3 seems like it ran cooler tho.

Damn it, I always 4get something... it was in my '01 5.3 too, then the '03 5.3 and now the SSS. Hey $60 is $60.

For the record - I just did this and my truck has no lower drain valve on the radiator and I had to pull the lower hose off....it was a PITA

Gotta get my PCM to Charlie now to get some benefits from this thing...

Excellent Mr. P, this is what I have planned next. After that the McGaughey 2/3.5 deluxe drop. After my lessons learned about the Vortech I am getting it installed by professionals. :P

I'm thinking about installing a 160 stat in my truck. I just want to know if anyone had problems or notice the heating not working in the colder months.

Yes the cab heater does get a little colder, but the auto-climate control will adjust for that. If you are in the nothern latitudes you might investigate replacing your heater core with a high fin count unit, they will positively cook you out of the cab LOL.

Mr. P. :)

Archived