Interior Care

There is plenty of info about how to take care of the outside of the truck. What I want to hear is how all of you are taking care of the inside.

I personally have been using Winner's Choice vinyl protectant for everything except my seats. It's okay. Better than son of gun or armor all. I believe both of them eventually dry things out. For the leather seats I have been using Meguire's rich leather foam.

Has anyone tried Zaino Bros leather products? Does Zaino make a product that takes care of the vinyl? All I saw was the leather products for interior.

Got the Zaino leather cleaner. IMO it smelled good.

Hard to say if it's any good though. Ask me again in 10 years to see if the GM 'High-Grade' leather stood up.

First vehicle to have leather so I really don't know what to expect as far as a good leather product.

I got some Lexol for the leather. It's supposed to be really good stuff but I'm saying that for hearsay, not personal experience, so the jury is still out on that one.

On two vehicles bought new in '96, we have used both Lexol and Zymol on them. Both are good products. Typically one application in the spring and one in the fall. The seats in both vehicles still look like new today. My wife does the seats and she prefers Zymol since it smells so good and makes her hands really soft!

First vacuum the seats, then use a terry cloth towel (a wash cloth works great) to apply the cleaner. Once that is dry, apply the leather conditioner with your bare hand and work it into the leather. Being careful not to apply too much in the stitching areas. Once you've got the seats done, back the vehicle out of the garage and park it in the sun for a few hours to heat up the leather. After the seats have warmed up in the sun a little and you are bored (!), re-massage the seats by hand again to work in the existing conditioner even better.

From experience, the best leather products to use are the two part - one is a cleaner and one is a conditioner - like Lexol and Zymol.

Lexol

Zymol

Both products can typically be found at car parts stores.

she prefers Zymol since it smells so good and makes her hands really soft!

That cracks me up. Women! Whatta ya gonna do, huh? I love it. :D

My ex and I were shopping for a car for her once and she said to the salesman she didn't like the color of the car we were looking at because it wouldn't go with all her outfits!!! :jester: HUH? I looked at the salesman and laughed thinking she was kidding...........................she wasn't. We got a different, natural color - silver ~sigh~

Thanks for the tutorial on applying leather conditioner. I had no clue. I just slapped it on, let it soak in as the directions suggest, and then wiped it with a dry towel. Didn't know putting it in the sun helped. Lord knows, we HAVE some son in Arizona. :cool:

Richard, thanks for the info - good stuff. I'll have to give it a try. I haven't had leather in a vehicle since 89', so not too experinced in that area and want to make the right "long term" choices.

Lee, you know you've been looking for ways to bond with your truck and massaging those seats have got to be the ticket. You ever had your seat massaged? It's a pretty good experience. Your truck will love you!

I needed some new ways to bond with my truck as well.

-Ben

Your truck will love you!

Hey, not exactly what I was looking for but, well.......it's a start. Now if I can just find a woman. :D

I needed some new ways to bond with my truck as well.

I think YOU better slow down, bro. You may just have a little TOO much bonding goin' on over there after that Zaino weekend. :pop:

Speaking of Zaino - did two coats on the wife's GTP last night. That red metallic is unbelievable. So, add another satisfied customer for Zaino - my wife. That may only count if I do it though. :rolleyes: It's easy to claim you don't know what to do if you really don't want to do it. I'm bringing her along though. I call them therapy sessions now, with her past history of not taking good care of her vehicles. There's a shimmer of hope :D

Just one comment on interior care: Armor All and other products of its type actually contain alcohol which

will dry out vinyl in the long run. I would not recommend using them on your interior...or tires for that matter.

I used to use Armor All on each of my cars but have stopped. Now I'm looking for a replacement. Will likely

try Zaino or one of the Mother's products.

That's interesting about Armor All, Tim. Especially considering that product has made it's name by "protecting automotive surfaces." I use that now on my dash and Eagle One on the tires. If you find something new for the dash let us know, okay? Thanks :thumbs:

That's interesting about Armor All, Tim. Especially considering that product has made it's name by "protecting automotive surfaces." I use that now on my dash and Eagle One on the tires. If you find something new for the dash let us know, okay? Thanks :thumbs:

Lee, I heard the same thing a few years back. I don't use it for that reason. But, I believe anything in moderation is not that bad. If you're one of those guys that treats your dash every week, then armorall might not be the best choice. But, once a month or every six weeks, might not have such a damaging effect. I think the sun does more damage to your dash than anything. Mother's will cost you about the same, and over the long haul, would probably be better. But the damage caused by armorall will take years to show up.

Ben,

Yeah, I'm afraid I'm one of those crazies that Armour's the dash every week. AZ has very little rain as we've discussed but that leads to something else.......dust - lots of it because it's so dry here. So, solution has been Armour All.

jr,

I use Lexol on the leather now. Never heard of 303. What is it and where can I get it. Places like Pep Boys etc? Thanks. Welcome to the boards, by the way. :thumbs:

Archived