Trailering mode question

When in trailering mode (button on the gear shift lever), what exactly happens with the transmission? - I assume it lowers the shiftpoints for more low end power when towing. If that is true, will the truck accelerate faster in trailering mode? ...or is it just the opposite, or no difference at all. - Just a thought. :dunno:

Don't think it will accellerate any faster in tow/haul mode. If you foot is to the floor, it's not going to matter which mode you're in. Tow/haul mode is just a 2nd shift algorithm for the trans, which keeps the truck in the power band longer, to help with getting a heavy load moving.

I mostly use it to make my Flowmasters sing when cruising around town. :driving:

Don't think it will accellerate any faster in tow/haul mode.  If you foot is to the floor, it's not going to matter which mode you're in.  Tow/haul mode is just a 2nd shift algorithm for the trans, which keeps the truck in the power band longer, to help with getting a heavy load moving.

I mostly use it to make my Flowmasters sing when cruising around town. :driving:

Thank you. Truck does sound good at the higher RPM's, aye?

I found following information on http://fourwheeler.com/roadtests/11199/index3.html

Another Allison feature that received high marks is called Engine Grade Braking, which works best when the transmission is shifted into its Tow/Haul mode. Engine Grade Braking automatically shifts the transmission to progressively lower gears to help slow the truck.

What does Tow/Haul actually do?

TOW/HAULThe tow/haul shift mode significantly changes the transmission’s shift pattern to reduce shift cycling and to deliver better performance, control and cooling when towing or hauling heavy loads. You can enable or disable tow/haul with the same selector button used for overdrive disable, simply tap the button one time. When Tow/Haul is engaged, the following functions occur:

• Upshift points are raised from light- to mid-throttle to use more of the engine’s available power for acceleration.

• Downshift points are raised to help slow the vehicle using engine braking.

• During deceleration, the torque converter clutch (TCC) remains applied to much lower vehicle speeds to significantly improve engine braking effectiveness.

• During acceleration, the TCC is applied in 2nd range and remains applied in 3rd, 4th and 5th ranges. [in normal shift mode, the TCC generally applies only in higher ranges and is dependent on throttle position.]

• Grade braking can command downshifts to 2nd range. [in normal shift mode, grade braking will not command downshifts below 4th range.]

The result of these various tow/haul functions is a more positive shift feel especially when operating the vehicle lightly loaded.

Interesting PDF-file on the Allison Transmission: http://www.allisontransmission.com/servlet...et=SA3931EN.pdf

So what do you say about that guys; for an European... ;)

Pascal

when you find a 5th gear in your 65E then you can go by what that sheet says. as for the braking issue, not that i'm aware of. the bias on braking is how level the truck is. adding a trailer lowers the rear and therefore adds rear brake pressure.

Archived