HP and Torque Spec. for SS

ssvette

I know that the '64 Impala could be had as an SS, with any size motor, big or small block. I belive it had to be a two door with bucket seats, though. This was pretty typical of the time. So, "No" it is not the first small block SS. People only seem to remember the outstanding expamples of things, not the run of the mill.

No Variant most SS came with small blocks but like most cars from that era

you could order it with any option you wanted. I want a 69 camaro, Red with white stripes 4-speed with a big block and air. Just think if you could do that now, Chevy would be King again!!!!!!!! :P

Variant-

Many SS Chevys over the years have had small blocks:

66 - 72 Novas had 327's to 350's

68 - 72 Camaros had 327's to 350's as well

65 - 67 Impala's had 327's

All had a minimum of 275 ponies (gross) up to 375. Can you imagine a 4,000 pound Impala "SS" with 275 horses. Not exactly super or sporty. The SS has be used over the years more as a marketing tool than a declaration of performance. And let's face it, it works. The most recent use of the SS has been the 2002 Camaro available through your local dealer, tweaked by SLP of course. I can tell you that these cars have earned the label. They are truly throw back, cromagnum, tire melting beasts that could blow away just about anything form the supposed muscle car era. Want to know fear? Try throwing a 67 Big Block Malibu into a decreasing radius corner on 7 inch wide, 15 diameter rims with drum brakes. Need I say more?

cvp :D

Going back to the question of if the plastic composite intake handling the pressure of a blower. It depends on the seam styles and process of molding Chevy uses, I know in the case of the corollas the new supercharger due out any month now, bolts metal onto metal and make you throw the plastic away. but it may be different on a V-configuration of engine instead of inline because the unit is located right in front with VERY litlle obstruction. Under normal PSI's I think it should be ok though. Should be interesting to see, its not even researchable because there are so many different resins they may use, plus the shape and molding process can make certain stresses in structural integrity that there is no way to tell. Thats the advantage of having someone else do it first, if it blows up, its not on your head....

-Joe

Going back to the question of if the plastic composite intake handling the pressure of a blower. It depends on the seam styles and process of molding Chevy uses, I know in the case of the corollas the new supercharger due out any month now, bolts metal onto metal and make you throw the plastic away. but it may be different on a V-configuration of engine instead of inline because the unit is located right in front with VERY litlle obstruction. Under normal PSI's I think it should be ok though. Should be interesting to see, its not even researchable because there are so many different resins they may use, plus the shape and molding process can make certain stresses in structural integrity that there is no way to tell. Thats the advantage of having someone else do it first, if it blows up, its not on your head....

-Joe

I am sure they will find a way to use composite for the blower manifold but I don’t Think it would work for the blower housing. Not that it would not be possible but Because of the safety issue, those blowers really spin up. The more they do to these Motors the more they need new sensors, which helps my company so bring it on!!!!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
No Variant most SS came with small blocks but like most cars from that era

you could order it with any option you wanted. I want a 69 camaro, Red with white stripes 4-speed with a big block and air. Just think if you could do that now, Chevy would be King again!!!!!!!!

You know, they made a version of the corvette a couple of years ago that included an aluminum 427! But they decided to cancel the project :shakehead:

However, I have a good source that says the C6 Z06 will have 455 ponies. :thumbs: Get that thing and you'll be waiting for the vipers at the end of the track! :pop:

That is my dream vehicle!

The plastic intakes have proven to be very reliable, Every LS1 has been made with them and the 96+ trucks as well. There are some F-body guys that are running some serious boost through them and have no problems, i wouldnt worry at all about it.

i thought the C6 Z06 was gonna be at the 500 HP mark? did they change their mind or was this never an idea?

• 1 month later...

Regarding the small block SS question. It might be kinda late on the subject, however the SS was not always purely a performance option. The early Chevy II's were avalible as a Nova SS with a 194ci (I think) and a 230ci (I know) inline six. As well as the 283 and 327ci small blocks. Hell for 1964 and 65 the biggest motor you could get in a Chevelle SS was a 327, not counting the ultra rare '65 Z-16, which had a big block. For many of these years the motor was only a small part of the SS package, most it being the trim that the car recieved. They had better stainless trim, more chrome all over and sometimes better door panels and seats.

Archived