Alternator Blew up,, Reprocussions

6.0ss

Last night, Driving home from work, noticed the truck started running funny, Idle was lopy, power was non existant, then I noticed pinging and knocking under the engine. I was checking all of my gauges and nothing was wrong untill I noticed my voltage was at 9Volts!!! I limpped home on voltage that was continuing to drop and reinstalled my factory alternator. Truck fired up.. had good voltage but truck still running terrible.

Here are the symptoms.

Have gone 60 miles and used 1/4 tank of fuel !!!!!!!

MPG has gone from 14 mpg to 11

idle is jittery and moves from 450-650 constantly

under power it is quirky, sounds rich, then boost hits and it seems fine then back and forth again.

Upon start up,, truck runs great for about 2-4 min, then immediatly goes bad.

I know this was caused from the alternator, but where should I start..

Zippy.. I think it did something to the CPU, if you think so as well, do you have my tune on file??????

PLEASE HELP!!!

Almost sounds like some bad gas.

OK BEN, Some times you scare me!!!! :cheers:

, it is funny you said that! I was almost totaly empty, Filled up my tank with 93 bp, (same station I use every week) and that is right when it started!!!

Any coincidence that the alternator failed at the same time?? Maybe..

I at first thought it was bad Gas,, So I put 2 bottles of STP octain boost and fuel cleaner/stabilizer and it did nothing.....

But I just went out for lucnh and Nothing happened at all that was funny. the truck ran like normal. I won't know for sure untill I get some more milage.. I Realy want to run this tank dry and refill to make sure that is not it!!!!

I've been told the alternators on these trucks (NBS chevy v8s under 145amps) suck.  I don't really trust the guy that told me that, however, but maybe someone has heard the same thing?

Well......I've lost two on two different trucks at about 50k miles for both. So, if that says anything. Personally, I think it was my undersize pullies that killed them, but I can't be 100% sure of that. Who knows........?

I have have a 200-amp aftermarket one standing by for this truck if I can ever get to 50k. :banghead:

they have one for the diesel. not sure what all is available for the SS.

it may be worth trying a swap to an 05' police tahoe alternator. i'm not sure if it'll work since nobody that i know of has tried it, but that's a bad ass alternator. it's capable of 100amps at an idle for a 3 hour period and 160 peak.

they have one for the diesel. not sure what all is available for the SS.

it may be worth trying a swap to an 05' police tahoe alternator. i'm not sure if it'll work since nobody that i know of has tried it, but that's a bad ass alternator. it's capable of 100amps at an idle for a 3 hour period and 160 peak.

Haven't hooked mine up, but here's the thread/part number, etc.

Tahoe PP Alternator

THe Alternator builder that made mine said he is going to an external rectifier so he can get idle current up in the 150 range and peak in the 350 range!!!!! :crazy:

Sounds Awesome to me!!

THe Alternator builder that made mine said he is going to an external rectifier so he can get idle current up in the 150 range and peak in the 350 range!!!!! :crazy:

Sounds Awesome to me!!

DAMN, that's a lot of current :D

Mr. P. :)

Ohio Generator is who we used when we were competing in SPL comps. We ran a dual set-up with external regulators. Ran them about 16 volts to the battery bank. It was close to 600 at 2k rms. The rules state you can't spin them faster than that anyway. Here is their link, they have some very innovative stuff! Tell them that Team Hertz (dB Drag) sent ya!

Ohio Generator

Ohio Generator is who we used when we were competing in SPL comps.  We ran a dual set-up with external regulators.  Ran them about 16 volts to the battery bank.  It was close to 600 at 2k rms.  The rules state you can't spin them faster than that anyway.  Here is their link, they have some very innovative stuff!  Tell them that Team Hertz (dB Drag) sent ya!

Ohio Generator

I have an E mail out to Tom Or Gus right now!! Thanks!!!!

I think zippy is cringing,, he is thinking 2 alternators is more drag on the engine and will slow me down even more!!!!

I think zippy is cringing,, he is thinking 2 alternators is more drag on the engine and will slow me down even more!!!!

It sure will. At one show we were at, there was a neat display on how much drag an alt. can place on an engine. They had a 300 amp alt connected to a 10 speed bike's rear gears and the alt would power a battery connected to 2 amps powering 4 12" subs. You would get the bike up to speed, they would hit a 60Hz tone and you would almost fly off the bike! :crazy:

On our competition car, when we hit our "burp" the belts would come off the engine or the engine would stop running. Most competitors would have a nasty screech of the belts when they hit it.

We had a blazer with some serious power, running 2 alts. When you can set the cruise control at 50mph on a flat road and then hit a low tone with the system, the truck would always downshift to make up for the extra drag.

Ohio Generator is who we used when we were competing in SPL comps.  We ran a dual set-up with external regulators.  Ran them about 16 volts to the battery bank.  It was close to 600 at 2k rms.  The rules state you can't spin them faster than that anyway.  Here is their link, they have some very innovative stuff!  Tell them that Team Hertz (dB Drag) sent ya!

Ohio Generator

OK I had to figure this out...

16v * 600a = 9600w

9600w / 745.3 (w per hp) = 12.88hp

12.88hp * 1.25 (25% typical efficiency loss) = 16.1hp

So it took 16+ hp to drive that alternator?! That's freaking impressive. :thumbs:

Mr. P. :)

Archived