Intermediate steering shaft

Black04SS

My truck has a rattle that fits the discription of the intermediate steering shaft noise.But the dealer says this 04 SS has the "new design" and they greased it :smash: .

What else makes a simular rattle / noise? :confused: ?

Tia,,WP

My front end shop said the intermediate steering shaft rattle is very common in these trucks. They also said that if the dealer replaces this shaft that the rattle would return within a year. He also remarked about too much plastic being used in vehicles these days.

Regards,

Dan

P.S. I have the very same rattle.

GM has had that rattle since they went to this body in 99. The Impala's and Monte Carlo's have the same problem. I replaced too many and greased them when I worked at the dealer, never solved much and the new ones are not really redsigned. Just going to have to live with it, I do.

I had mine replaced at 9K solved the wandering problem the truck had on the freeway, and it was a temporary fix on the rattle. now at 12K the rattle is back :banghead:

If I were you I would keep going back to the dealership untill they put a new shaft in it.

would it be possible to add a zerk and just pump it full of grease with a gun every once and a while? Instead of removing it to grease it?

From what I understand there is not enough room for a zerk fitting. I suggest just having the dealer replace the shaft with the updated version.

Archived