On Star Antenna

Bowtie70SS

Ok, I'm new here and this may have been covered, but this dumb looking antenna is on the drivers side off center and looks like crap. Is there a hole drilled when they installed it? How can I take it off, my truck is used and I'm not gonna get onstar so it needs to go!! Also how much am I gonna gain from headers, are full roller rockers an option what is the stock ratio, and what power programmer is the best? Steer me right here I'm looking to kick it up a notch without breaking the bank. Later

Dave

2003 SS Silverado

1970 SS Chevelle

1970 SS396 El camino

well if you want to tune it yourself get hp tuners, if you want someone to do it for you get PCM4Less.com

i would not worry about going to a full roller rocker.

you will get a good gain from a good set of Long tube headers.

this dumb looking antenna is on the drivers side off center and looks like crap. Is there a hole drilled when they installed it? How can I take it off, my truck is used and I'm not gonna get onstar so it needs to go!! 

Yeah... theres a hole under it so if you decide to remove it be prepared to to some repair work to fill the hole

Also how much am I gonna gain from headers

Depends. More with longtubes than shorties, but not a ton of HP to be gained w/ any header system IMO. The stock manifolds flow surprisingly well for stock peices. I myself have JBA shorties and I'd guess I saw maybe a 5-10hp gain.

are full roller rockers an option what is the stock ratio

Yes. A few guys here have performed full swaps. Use the search and it should point you in the right direction.

and what power programmer is the best?

Programmers suck. Get a custom PCM tune or buy HP tuners and do it yourself

Steer me right here I'm looking to kick it up a notch without breaking the bank.

USE THE SEARCH. Almost every new guy asks the same questions and they've all been answered before... I suggest searching thru the different sections and you'll find A TON of info about modding an SS.

Congrats on the new truck and welcome to the site n00b! :cheers:

are full roller rockers an option what is the stock ratio,

The stock ratio is 1.7. Crane makes some 1.8's that they say will give you an extra 20hp, and I've seen 1.85's out there but I don't know if they will work on our trucks (piston-to-valve clearance might be the issue there).

Welcome to the site Bowtie70ss! :cheers:

Some info for you about your rooftop antennas. working at GM myself i know how they are installed. There is a hole that is made when the roof was pressed out. also it is a simple 10 mm bolt that holds it in, but it compresses a bracket kinda like a rivet would do. Mushrooms out. That also goes for the Onstar and XM radio

Would it be possible to hook up the radio antenna lead to the Onstar antenna?

If you're not using Onstar, at least this would get rid of one antenna. I'm not sure if they both use the same type lead and what the connections look like. Anybody try to do this?

Archived