sell or not?

ss-lookalike

Ok guys need some help. i got a brand new 2005 silverado 1500 ext. cab 2wd about a month ago. my payment is like 500 a month plus insurance. i live with my fiance(sp) and work as a detailer. i can make the payments but i dont have much left over to save for wedding, or much of anything. question is should i sell it and get an older ride, or keep at it? i am not in my truck very long everyday. if you were in my shoes what would you do?

I think that the wedding is quite important and that probably should be the priority to save money for the big event in your life. You can always get a truck after the wedding. See how much you can get on the truck and check your losses out before selling the rig. If it is still basically new you can still take a smaller loss. Theres lots of cheap cool rides that you can buy to get around. I personally would get an f body. Good luck with your decision.

That is a tough decision and you will need to think about it quite hard. You may also be upside down on the truck if you have only had it for a month. Think it over! Your wedding is a very important event and it will requie alot of funds. A truck is replaceable but the memory of your wedding is not. Good luck with your decision!

Congratulations to you on getting married, that's really great to hear. My opinion - it is most important to enter a marriage on solid financial footing. There is a time and place for everything, including getting married and choosing to do so *right* after buying a vehicle can make your newlywed years really tough. But I would not just unload your truck and take on a lot more debt, I would work out a plan that gets me on more solid financial footing ASAP. That goes for your fiancee too, she also needs to be on solid financial footing.

IF you choose to enter your marriage with existing obligations/loans and nothing but good looks and change in your pocket then you are completely at HER mercy. The fact that you are crazy for each other is assumed here, but no matter how disciplined you are if she overspends your combined budget you are both completely screwed. The real question here is can you trust her with YOUR finances, hence can you trust her with YOUR life. If you truly can (example, she's a financial counselor for a living) then great else you had better get more cushion/cash flow in your budget.

What not to do - My ex-wife and myself entered our marriage both in bad financial situations and the outside circumstances we had to endure because of it were truly a 3-year day-to-day nightmare for us to endure and contributed heavily (not totally, there were other issues) to our fighting and later divorce. We had debts, I made good money, she admittedly would not stick to any type of budget and the end result was BK7 and divorce; having lived it I do not wish it on anyone.

HOWEVER, my father remarried about ...19 years ago? and his wife, an absoutely wonderful woman and a TOTAL spend-thrift to the point of hilarity, got married with literally $50 between them and today have multiple millions in very diversified assets. Today they are enjoying doing literally whatever the hell they want with their middle-aged lives - now THAT is freedom.

So getting married broke is not a forcast of coming doom. From my experience better questions to ask are what will it take for both of you to build, agree on, and stick to some sort of budget, and can you both (literally) partner together 50/50 to build a business (that of your marriage).

I apologize for answering your question with more questions - you'll work it out I'm sure.

Best to you both...

Mr. P. :)

if you were in my shoes what would you do?

i would keep the truck, and ditch the wedding.... :D

if you are already living togeather then you must be making ends meet, but no one is saying you can't get married anyway, just find a minister or someone just you and her and a couple of people, and save up and when you have the money then have the big wedding with everyone.

:seeya:

If you only got the thing a month ago you are going to be WAY upside down on it. You won't be able to sell it for near what you owe and then roll that negative debt into a new payment on another car... you'll probably be back around $500 p/month. I guess it doesn't hurt to look into it, but I doubt you'll be able to lower your payment that much by selling a truck you've only had for a month.

I would look into gettin rid of the truck, research into how much would be lost but if your lookin at too high of a loss and still maintaining a payment(even if you went with no ride) then I would hold on to it and try to find additional income to cover the wedding, maybe even a second job or side work. Also, talk it over with the soon to be and see how she feels, nothin like the present to start including each other in the big decisions.

i would say keep it. i'm assuming you were a detailer when you bought the truck as you are now. thinking about selling the truck one month after you get it is a huge financial hit and damn near impossible to get out of it without putting yourself into a deep debt and not having a vehicle at all.

Archived