Help :)

ThePDB

I have a really bad urge to buy a boat. I don't know ANYTHING about them. I work a lot so I don't wanna spend a fortune on something that I'll probably never get to go out and enjoy. Does anyone know anything about Sea Doo's Sportster LE DI? It's not the fastest boat in the world but it's only around 13,000.00 retail. Does anyone else have any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks. Chad

A boat is nothing more than a hole in the water into which you toss large amounts of money.  Buy a kayak or a canoe 'n be happy shleppin' around ponds 'n lakes or nice smooth rivers.

yeah, my parents live on a lake and we have paddle boats and fishing boats but they just arent getting the job done. I want something REAL. Without paddles!!!

Sea Doo is pretty good, except they might not be as reliable as others. They do req regular maintenance which is not cheap. But both types of boats Sea Do makes are a lot of fun-pretty fast and can turn on a dime. Just get extended warranty and that insurance that helps pay for repairs...

If it were me Id spend a little more and get some kind of inboard/outboard runabout, or even a nicer bass boat with a big Mercury outboard...price shouldnt be that different...

Just my 2c worth :)

I dont own a boat never have and prob. never will, i do know from friends that have owned or do own them is you better have a good backing of funds to enjoy it.

The true meaning of the word boat is

Break

Out

Another

Thousand

Or

Ten thousand depending on how many feet!

:lol:

I owned a bass boat for seven years. Boat was a Champion 186 Elite. Awesome boat. Engine was a Johnson 175hp. Boat had no problems at all. However, after four years, the engine blew. Cause was a tiny hole in a hose that connected the water separator to the gas tank. Guess air was getting into the tank and when I'd prime the engine, gas would go in but come back out. Cost $6,000 to fix. Then there is the usual winterization costs if you live in the north, and regular maintenance. And the price of gas. It is a lot of fun when you're on the water fishing or just tooling around. But the rest of the time they are a pain.

I've got a '98 Four Winns 20' bow rider. It has been an awesome boat, still looks new and has about 350 hours on it. I have had 1 issue that was self inflicted. I used flush muffs to winterize it and killed the impeller.

I think if you buy new, and take care of it you will get many hours of fun out of a boat.

If you buy used you better know who you are buying it from....

I've got a '98 Four Winns 20' bow rider.  It has been an awesome boat, still looks new and has about 350 hours on it.  I have had 1 issue that was self inflicted.  I used flush muffs to winterize it and killed the impeller.

I think if you buy new, and take care of it you will get many hours of fun out of a boat.

If you buy used you better know who you are buying it from....

Thanks everyone :) I'm still not sure what to think. As late as it is in the summer now I'll prolly hold off, but who knows. I have a habbit of just buyin things (thats how the whole SS thing happened) If I do get anything it'll most definately be new, I don't wanna go through headaches. I saw the exact same sea doo boat on ebay for like 7200.00 but I'd rather have a new one for 13. Who knows, thanks again for the input, it's always gladly appreciated.

You need to determine how you plan to use it, recreation, fishing, etc and what type of water it will be used on. Then find one that fits that mold well.

Up north, I would recommend an outboard so you don't have the winteriztion costs of an inboard or I/O, especially if you like to fish year round. Also, jetboats are considerably different to control then inboard, outboard, or I/O boats at low speed.

My buddy's dad has had a boat for many years and hasn't had any problems from it. He lives in TN on Cherokee lake. We go down ever once in awhile to fish and stuff. Nice lake with many boats. I was thinking of getting some jet ski's to take down there, but don't know. Do they require a lot of maintanance?

You need to determine how you plan to use it, recreation, fishing, etc and what type of water it will be used on. Then  find one that fits that mold well.

Up north, I would recommend an outboard so you don't have the winteriztion costs of an inboard or I/O, especially if you like to fish year round. Also, jetboats are considerably different to control then inboard, outboard, or I/O boats at low speed.

My brothers wife has a house on Lake wisconsin about 30 min south of the dells. Most likely it'll be in the water up there more than anywhere else. I'm not much of a fisherman but I wouldn't mind fishing every now and then. More than anything it would just be for cruising around and possibly tubing.

You need to determine how you plan to use it, recreation, fishing, etc and what type of water it will be used on. Then  find one that fits that mold well.

My brothers wife has a house on Lake wisconsin about 30 min south of the dells. Most likely it'll be in the water up there more than anywhere else. I'm not much of a fisherman but I wouldn't mind fishing every now and then. More than anything it would just be for cruising around and possibly tubing.

I just bought a 21 Bennington Deck boat. Having a boat is great, just being able to wake up and drop it in the water anytime is awesome. You should have very few problems if you keep your boat in fresh water. When you take it out into salt water there are alot of maintenance issues. The jet boats do require alot more routine maintenance then an I/O or Outboard.

They say the two best days of your life are the day you buy your boat and the day you sell your boat! :jester:

Didn't read all the responses but, I wouldn't get the Sea-do unless it has gained some power over the last couple of years. A buddy of mine a few years ago knew a guy that had returned his and gotten all his money back. Reason was, the advertising showed it pulling a skier, when in actuality it lacked the power to do so. He threatened to sue for false advertising and they caved. Nice boat for a ride I would guess.

Didn't read all the responses but, I wouldn't get the Sea-do unless it has gained some power over the last couple of years.  A buddy of mine a few years ago knew a guy that had returned his and gotten all his money back.  Reason was, the advertising showed it pulling a skier, when in actuality it lacked the power to do so.  He threatened to sue for false advertising and they caved.  Nice boat for a ride I would guess.

I heard the same thing about one of those wave runners (which are nearly the size of the seadoo boats). The salesman assured the guy that he could pull a wakeboarder out, but the guy couldn't even pull his 150 lb son out!

For the money I would recommend wave runners. They don't pull tubers (or wakeboarders) but they are cheaper to maintain and easier to use for those who don't have lake houses.

Archived