Employee discount!

Jonmalibuss

The advertisements around here all say "we begged for them to extend this sale ... and GM agreed"

They are claiming record sales and bloated used car inventories and the agents are loving it around here.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They should just can all these rebates and gm employee pricing and just lower the damm sticker prices, because these prices are really what gm vehicals are worth!There stickers are way over what they should be and this should be a wake up call for them to just lower the prices on the stickers.

Why have a sticker say for a sss for 43-44k when they always sell for under 35k at the least :confused: some people turn away as soon as they see that price and dont realize there are a bunch of rebates that turn the price ten grand cheaper, makes no damm sense!

The dealers didn't want to extend the sale... I had heard that there are some dealers considering lawsuits against GM because of it.  Over all the deal isn't all that much better than it was before GMS for everyone.  Before the sale rebates were bigger and discount from the dealer was smaller.  Now the rebates are smaller than they used to be, and the discounts are larger overall the prices are pretty close to the same.  At least on the Pontiacs I sell but the higher the price the larger the discount, so on trucks the deal is probably a little better.

We've sold more vehicles in the last month than we have all year. Our sales managers were wanting GM to extend the sale. As were alot of other dealers in this area. I work in parts, and it's killing us the back end. Why bother repairing a vehicle when you can trade it in and keep the same payment, or in some cases come out cheaper.

resale values have taken a dive...and are just gonna get worse with 25-35% off a new one lasting as long as it has.

No kidding thats another reason they should just put the lower price on the sticker!

I feel bad because most here way over paid for there sss compared to what prices are atm and you can see it with all the people trying to sell theres on this site and are getting barley any bites because there loans are completely backwards.If you paid over 32k for your sss goodluck and i hope you want to keep it for the long haul becuase you will never get back what you paid for it.

... I work in parts, and it's killing us the back end. Why bother repairing a vehicle when you can trade it in and keep the same payment, or in some cases come out cheaper.

Huh, I didn't think of that (the effect on the auto repair industry)

Mr. P. :)

...If you paid over 32k for your sss goodluck and i hope you want to keep it for the long haul becuase you will never get back what you paid for it.

True, true. As an 'enthusiast' I knew up front that I would be modifying the truck, and that I would never get out of the vehicle what I put in. Cars never made anyone any money ever - they are expensive to buy, expensive to operate, expensive to own. So it's just like you say: when you buy a vehicle get one you really like and can/will keep for a while.

Yep, I was at my dealer just the other day talking to my buddy, he's the fleet sales manager....Their moving cars at an incredible rate, and as far as losing revenue the dealer gets a check from the manufacture for every car to make up for the loss that they would have sold it at retail, only thing it doesn't get settled up til the end of each quarter. So I can see how some small dealers may not have the cash flow to hold out that long. Although i can see the auto repair industry slowing down, If given the choice why would i drive the same old piece when i could buy a new one with a warranty and have it cost me less.. anyway I think it's a great thing, pulling gm out of a hole, and putting them in better terms with people who might have given up driving gm vehicle. Goes to show money talks..

They should just can all these rebates and gm employee pricing and just lower the damm sticker prices, because these prices are really what gm vehicals are worth!There stickers are way over what they should be and this should be a wake up call for them to just lower the prices on the stickers.

Why have a sticker say for a sss for 43-44k when they always sell for under 35k at the least  :confused: some people turn away as soon as they see that price and dont realize there are a bunch of rebates that turn the price ten grand cheaper, makes no damm sense!

There is always someone who comes into a dealer and pays sticker price out of ignorance or fear of negotiating.....just a few of those a month make it worth keeping the inflated MSRP sticker on vehicles.

...If you paid over 32k for your sss goodluck and i hope you want to keep it for the long haul becuase you will never get back what you paid for it.

True, true. As an 'enthusiast' I knew up front that I would be modifying the truck, and that I would never get out of the vehicle what I put in. Cars never made anyone any money ever - they are expensive to buy, expensive to operate, expensive to own. So it's just like you say: when you buy a vehicle get one you really like and can/will keep for a while.

You get into trouble when you say 'never'. Had I bought my uncle's '69 Z28 with 38,000 original miles on, it seven years ago for $25,000, like he offered to sell it to me for, I'd be sitting very pretty right now.... :banghead:

Yep, I was at my dealer just the other day talking to my buddy, he's the fleet sales manager....Their moving cars at an incredible rate,  and as far as losing revenue the dealer gets a check from the manufacture for every car to make up for the loss that they would have sold it at retail, only thing it doesn't get settled up til the end of each quarter. So I can see how some small dealers may not have the cash flow to hold out that long. Although i can see the auto repair industry slowing down, If given the choice why would i drive the same old piece when i could buy a new one with a warranty and have it cost me less.. anyway I think it's a great thing, pulling gm out of a hole, and putting them in better terms with people who might have given up driving gm vehicle. Goes to show money talks..

The money GM pays dealers is a joke compared to what we were making before GMS. We sold the most Pontiacs in our region last month and the new car department was still only $5,000 profitable. We're talking about $800-$1,200 profits on new cars instead of $2,000-$3,000. My average commission on a deal was down from $323 to $100 per car.

The biggest problem is going to be what GM is going to do next month. They have conditioned people to wait for the biggest sales to really come out and buy cars. Once this sale is gone it's gonna be a ghost town around the new car lots.

Too bad it's not offered on the GTO's because I almost bought one on friday.  Guess I'm gonna have to wait awhile.  :banghead:

They were in on it up until the 5th

The money GM pays dealers is a joke compared to what we were making before GMS.  We sold the most Pontiacs in our region last month and the new car department was still only $5,000 profitable.  We're talking about $800-$1,200 profits on new cars instead of $2,000-$3,000.  My average commission on a deal was down from $323 to $100 per car. 

The biggest problem is going to be what GM is going to do next month.  They have conditioned people to wait for the biggest sales to really come out and buy cars.  Once this sale is gone it's gonna be a ghost town around the new car lots.

Yeah and I'll bet that you're not selling anywhere near 3.23-times more volume. I am kind of pessimistic, I am hoping that GM does not do the same thing that Chrysler did in the early 70s with their never-ending season-end clearance sales, that was what pretty much put the knife into Chrysler IMO. But what do I know, I'm no automotive marketing exec.

Yeah and I'll bet that you're not selling anywhere near 3.23-times more volume.  I am kind of pessimistic, I am hoping that GM does not do the same thing that Chrysler did in the early 70s with their never-ending season-end clearance sales, that was what pretty much put the knife into Chrysler IMO.  But what do I know, I'm no automotive marketing exec.

Yeah it would be nice to sell 55 cars in a month but obviously that didn't happen. My saving grace was that for some reason people were still buying used cars.

My hope on all this is that GM will keep the rebates low (to save their resale value) and their rates low ( to keep the cars affordable). I wouldn't be suprised to see them lower prices and go to no haggle pricing across the board. This would make car shopping easier on the customer, becasue most customer that walk on the lot really don't want to try to negotiate with me. Plus it would cost the dealers less money per customer since they wouldn't be fighting over the same customers constantly. They would just go to the dealer that is closest to them and buy the car, less time, less hassle.

Archived