Ext. Cab Window Air Leak

AUTOGUY

Anyone here ever see or hear of replacing the center part of the latch on the leaky rear extended cab windows?

I had mine to the dealer for replacement, and it is no better than before.

A friend of mine I haven't seen in 15 years was over tonight looking at my truck and mentioned that he bought some replacement "arms" for his 2000 Silverado extended cab window latch.

I guess they are a little bit longer than the original ones and therefor pull the window tighter. He said he bought them from a guy on ebay for about $15.00.

If they work they are worth the money.

If anyone knows what I am talking about please help.

Thanks

Edited by AUTOGUY (see edit history)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here at our glass shop, my dad had a solution that worked pretty well.....

(I will try and post a pic later today of what he did, but here is an explination)

We made a clip to fit on the back side of the frame in the hinge location to push it out/stiffen it. I worked well at first, but then the GM dealers in this area told us to just change the frame (which isn't a major job - it generally fixes the problem) (it does tie the truck up for a day because it glues in, and even when you get the truck back, you shouldn't latch the window for at least 24 hrs.)

I took my SSS to the dealership for the wind noise back in Sep 03. When I asked the service manager why this problem was so prevalent in the Silverado/GMC Ext. Cab models (my 99 GMC and 01 Silverado had the same problem) he explained that since the entire window and frame assembly is glued in during production, the line workers sometimes latch the windows prematurely thus unseating the frame from the door (the frame requires at least 24 hours to cure before you should latch the window).

He also explained that there was an alternate way of reseating these windows which was by drilling small holes and using small screws. I chose to have them re-glued since I am not a big fan of holes in my vehicles.

Good Luck.

Z

I have the same problem overhere.

I guess it's because the window doesn't close hard enough against the rubbers.

I'm going to find a sollution to create bigger rubbers.

I'll keep you updated. And pics ofcourse.

Pascal

TURN you stereo UP :D

To get GM to do anything about it you will need enough people bitch about it especially under warranty before they will do something. Yea it sucks.

I wouldn't even mind if they came out with a stationary wind, I never open mine :D

Edited by tawss04 (see edit history)

the problem I have with them replacing the window assembly is the fact that the window is glued in and needs to be cut out. A friend of mine owns a glass company, and he said you take the chance of scratching the truck when cutting the old one out.

I would like to find these pieces or possible design a new one to take care of this problem.