Ext. Cab Window Air Leak

AUTOGUY

I've had both rear windows replaced which stopped most of the wind noise. I still have some, but I think it is coming from the door seal. I haven't messed around with the door adjustment yet to see if I can stop it.

:withstupid: My doors leak bad, I think I am going to ask the dealer to have them looked at this winter. I also had a howl > 90mph, that was corrected by replacing the pass rear window.

Mr. P. :)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had this fixed under warranty by my dealer a while back. I have a Sierra. They replaced the inside latches with stronger ones and they also had to take the window out. Why I don't know but they didn't scratch anything. They did a great job. I'm pretty sure that there is TSB out on it.

Has anybody though of making the quarter windows power? I have but have not yet been able to find an actuator or motor small enough. I never even open those windows in the back because you can't reach them. Just a thought; it would be cool to hit a button and have those windows pop out by themselves.

I took my SSS to the dealership for the wind noise back in Sep 03. When I asked the service manager why this problem was so prevalent in the Silverado/GMC Ext. Cab models (my 99 GMC and 01 Silverado had the same problem) he explained that since the entire window and frame assembly is glued in during production, the line workers sometimes latch the windows prematurely thus unseating the frame from the door (the frame requires at least 24 hours to cure before you should latch the window).

He also explained that there was an alternate way of reseating these windows which was by drilling small holes and using small screws. I chose to have them re-glued since I am not a big fan of holes in my vehicles.

Good Luck.

Z

Actually, there are no holes to be drilled.....

There are three screws that hold the unit in place while the urethane cures, and they simply catch part of the pinchweld....so you don't have to worry about someone drilling hole in the truck.

The next truck I get in here, I will try and take pictures of the procedure.

If you are careful, there is no damage to the body, but if the dealership lets some hacker do it, then look out. It is not the simplest instalation out there, and experience is EVERYTHING (just like a lot of things)!

• 2 weeks later...

Autoguy,

I figured you might get around to that. I just didn't like the idea of drilling a small hole as using a screw as suggested at performancetruck.net. I know that would work but... just seems like $35.00 for 2 pieces of plastic is way to much coin. But at least the wind noise should be fixed.. let me know when you get and install yours..

:cheers: